Confirmed with Link: Devils Fire Lindy Ruff - Travis Green is an Interim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The constantly giving up the first goal is not a unique thing to this season.

Last year's team did it on the regular. It's a Ruff thing.

He didn't even send 6 skaters out with the goalie out. We constantly get Too Much Man calls, we are never rested or ready to go on B2Bs. He consistently ices sub par lineups, which he has done his entire tenure. He runs goalies into the ground until they have nothing left to give.

His defensive schemes are confusing to the players and just plain don't work. Special teams have been average at the best of times and sub-par most of the time under him.

He has coached zero mental toughness into these players.

He sucks, he needed to go two years ago

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Green as HC is Nassreddine 2.0. I hardly believe he will have a job here next season.
And that’s Ok, I’m optimistically happy to see how the players react after this weights been lifted. It’s more about who’s not coaching at this point.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm stuck in a hard place. If they legit no show under Green then you might have legit questions about this core that a late season coaching change didn't help them, granted it shouldn't realistically. But you still don't want Travis f***ing Green getting a job off of one month. At least it's what @Zajacs Bowl Cut where we have to worry about Lindy not getting fired and Fitz chalking it up to injuries.

Reactions: Bleedred

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm stuck in a hard place. If they legit no show under Green then you might have legit questions about this core that a late season coaching change didn't help them, granted it shouldn't realistically. But you still don't want Travis f***ing Green getting a job off of one month. At least it's what @Zajacs Bowl Cut where we have to worry about Lindy not getting fired and Fitz chalking it up to injuries.

If there is trouble with the core, it was going to become apparent at some point no matter what. Better to find out now then a year or two from now

These six weeks need to be spent finding out what works and doesn't work with this team beyond the obvious of coaching, goaltending, and blue line issues

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If there is trouble with the core, it was going to become apparent at some point no matter once. Better to find out now then a year or two from now

Ya, fair point. The worry would be them getting caved into oblivion lopsided scores after this for a couple of weeks regardless. It should still happen cause of the goalies imo but we'll see.

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
I like Fitz's take on this. Ruff did do a solid job developing most players. Now we need a coach who will hold the team accountable. No more, "We are a young team," or throwing the same 5 personnel on the ice when we're 2-46 on the PP. Next year's sole goal needs to be about winning.

Fitz needs to fulfill his end too. Get us a legit starting goalie. Hedge injuries on the backend. His risk management on our defense was poor and he needs to learn from this.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean, I'm not surprised in the sense that everyone on the planet knew this needed to happen. I'm surprised they picked today. I guess it makes sense coming back from the road trip, but it seems weird that yesterday would be the straw that broke the camel's back. This could have [should have] been done weeks if not months ago.

Reactions: Dialamo

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya, fair point. The worry would be them getting caved into oblivion lopsided scores after this for a couple of weeks regardless. It should still happen cause of the goalies imo but we'll see.

Evaluate these 6 weeks, make the changes needed in the offseason as next year can't be another wasted year.

Needs to be progress with a competitive playoff showing.

Otherwise you have to start questioning if Fitz is the man for this job.

Can't be doing building years and wasted years forever.

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
I mean, I'm not surprised in the sense that everyone on the planet knew this needed to happen. I'm surprised they picked today. I guess it makes sense coming back from the road trip, but it seems weird that yesterday would be the straw that broke the camel's back. This could have [should have] been done weeks if not months ago.
After a season ending terrible road trip, this was the time to do it. Just like when they fired Hynes knowing full well the next home game would be a bloodbath in the crowd. More of a mercy firing.

And for God sakes get Holtz up in the lineup so he can at least be evaluated over a decent amount of time not playing with 4th line slugs.

Reactions: nugg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a good sign that Green is only an interim.

If Green didn't have several years of NHL head coaching experience, I don't think anyone would ever think he's a legit candidate to take over full time last year. Nobody thought that with Nas when he replaced Hynes as interim head coach, but we were the first NHL team that Nas had a job with. He was with Hynes as an assistant for the AHL Penguins before they both came here together.

If Green hadn't had that prior experience, I don't think anyone would think he realistically had any shot at being the head coach next year.

It makes sense that Green would be the interim for that reason alone. He's been a head coach, both in the NHL and the AHL. Sarge is in his second year as an NHL assistant, after serving years as an assistant with the AHL Devils.

Ryan McGill was a head coach in both the AHL and OHL/WHL, but that was once upon a very long time ago. His last AHL head coaching job was about 15 years ago. He was a junior head coach more recently, until Vegas hired him as an assistant for their inaugural year, where he had been the 5 years before we hired him.

Chris Taylor literally is a Ruff stooge. He has experience as an AHL head coach right before he came here with Ruff, but he's definitely gone after this year and it's a wonder he wasn't let go today also. I guess they're only changing the head coach. Same thing happened with Hynes. None of his assistants went until after the year.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
This proves one thing.

The talent won in spite of Lindy last year.

I truly believe the changes we have seen after Game 2 vs Rags came from the top.
They fundamentally played a different game (which can actually help you succeed).

Lindy should have stuck to a similar style but went back to the run & gun. It was exposed this year and he refused to adjust.

Did the team overachieve last year? most probably.
However, they underachieved significantly this year.

With a better coach and more 'experienced' core, they should be closer to last year than this year.

Get them a coach who will be able to adapt on the fly. Get them a coach who will mold his style to the roster.

I would not trade for a goaltender (unless it's a no brainer) until we see how those in the organization react under a new system.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It bothers me tremendously that Fitz either didn’t recognize the need for a change earlier, or he let his loyalty to Ruff dissuade him from doing what was needed. I don’t know which is worse. What I do know is that a GM should be capable of assessing his team no worse than an average die hard fan, and have the gumption to act as needed when needed.

His choice of assistant and now interim in Travis Green also presents a conundrum of Fitz’ own making. We know Green himself is not a top tier coach, so if the team falters how do we distinguish how much is on the players vs a mediocre coach still at the helm? Conversely, if the team happens to do well in this short sample size under him, how can we trust Fitz to not promote him permanently considering his prior weak coaching staff hires?

Just not a great place we find ourselves in here.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It bothers me tremendously that Fitz either didn’t recognize the need for a change earlier, or he let his loyalty to Ruff dissuade him from doing what was needed. I don’t know which is worse. What I do know is that a GM should be capable of assessing his team no worse than an average die hard fan, and have the gumption to act as needed when needed.

His choice of assistant and now interim in Travis Green also presents a conundrum of Fitz’ own making. We know Green himself is not a top tier coach, so if the team falters how do we distinguish how much is on the players vs a mediocre coach still at the helm? Conversely, if the team happens to do well in this short sample size under him, how can we trust Fitz to not promote him permanently considering his prior weak coaching staff hires?

Just not a great place we find ourselves in here.

The best thing is that they show they can win games with talent and the coaching ruins them down the stretch like it has all year. Chances are it'll happen because their schedule is brutal regardless.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
I honestly feel bad for Ruff, he is a good guy and takes the game serious. I blame the bonehead GM that hides in his office for letting this drag on way too long, and screwing around too much with what was actually a successful roster.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
1709594786833.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad