Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If there is anything the past 2 years have taught us as Devils fans, it's that if Brady Tkachuk is even the slightest bit available via trade, the Devils absolutely must be the team to acquire him. Overpay by 1000x times if you have to. The day Florida made the Matthew Tkachuk trade, the hockey world was glamouring about how well the Flames did on the return and how Calgary FLEECED Florida. What has happened since then? Florida goes to back to back Stanley Cup finals. Wins a Stanley Cup.

If I am Fitzgerald, I am calling Staios and offering this package for Brady Tkachuk right now.
- 10th overall pick
- John Marino OR Dougie Hamilton (if he'd waive)
- Seamus Casey
- Lenni Hameenaho
- Alexander Holtz
- 2026 1st round pick - Unprotected
- 2027 1st round pick - Unprotected

That is the type of massive overpayment it would likely take to land Brady Tkachuk. And I think it would absolutely be worth it. The type of lineup the Devils could assemble with the addition of Brady Tkachuk is tremendous. And that's just for this coming season. Next year (2025-26) the Devils will have the Kovalchuk penalty, some performance bonus carryovers off their books. As well as $4 million of increased salary cap space, and pretty much all of their important pieces locked up to contracts. The could then look to move Hamilton as his NMC turns to a modified NTC.

Tkachuk - Hughes - Mercer
Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Haula - Palat
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
MacDermid

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Hatakka - Nemec
DeSimone

Markstrom
Allen

what in the HELL is this?! My god, this board overrates the HELL out of Brady Tkachuk. This isn't Leon Draisaitl here.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If there is anything the past 2 years have taught us as Devils fans, it's that if Brady Tkachuk is even the slightest bit available via trade, the Devils absolutely must be the team to acquire him. Overpay by 1000x times if you have to. The day Florida made the Matthew Tkachuk trade, the hockey world was glamouring about how well the Flames did on the return and how Calgary FLEECED Florida. What has happened since then? Florida goes to back to back Stanley Cup finals. Wins a Stanley Cup.

If I am Fitzgerald, I am calling Staios and offering this package for Brady Tkachuk right now.
- 10th overall pick
- John Marino OR Dougie Hamilton (if he'd waive)
- Seamus Casey
- Lenni Hameenaho
- Alexander Holtz
- 2026 1st round pick - Unprotected
- 2027 1st round pick - Unprotected

That is the type of massive overpayment it would likely take to land Brady Tkachuk. And I think it would absolutely be worth it. The type of lineup the Devils could assemble with the addition of Brady Tkachuk is tremendous. And that's just for this coming season. Next year (2025-26) the Devils will have the Kovalchuk penalty, some performance bonus carryovers off their books. As well as $4 million of increased salary cap space, and pretty much all of their important pieces locked up to contracts. The could then look to move Hamilton as his NMC turns to a modified NTC.

Tkachuk - Hughes - Mercer
Meier - Hischier - Bratt
Tatar - Haula - Palat
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
MacDermid

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Hatakka - Nemec
DeSimone

Markstrom
Allen
Holy crap...

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I have to call baloney on that Calder vote. There’s no way Faber should have been that far ahead of Hughes. They had very similar statistical seasons.
Faber had a bunch better year - he played 25 minutes a game against and played well. He is obviously older than Hughes but there is no doubt he was top 2.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 27062024105029.jpg
    ZomboMeme 27062024105029.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
He will not rest until we trade a million pieces for someone.

Usually the classic HF Voltron trade proposal is packaging together a bunch of outright crap for the other team's superstar.

Instead, that proposal is packaging up several of the Devils' "premium assets" (TM) for a guy who would be like the third best forward here.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's still not ridiculous enough for the trade board. :sarcasm:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Both Nemec and Mintyukov will smoke a bunch of the players ahead of them on this list but that doesn’t matter.
Will they hang them in a barn and then age them before wrapping them or will they put them in a pipe? Or are we talking a cold sort of thing like a salmon? Or Fried Greem Tomatoes style?

Reactions: Guadana

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
so, joshua signed for 3yrs 3,25m. i was really hoping we could land him. i think with the salaries getting inflated this season, its a really good signing for vancouver cause these guys are rare.
now, i hope we can get trenin, but teams will line up for him i think

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Faber had a bunch better year - he played 25 minutes a game against and played well. He is obviously older than Hughes but there is no doubt he was top 2.

Faber did not have a much better year. While he led his team in average ice time as a rookie with 24:58 ATOI and had 8 goals, 39 assists, for 47 points, Luke Hughes also led his team in average ice time as a rookie with 21:28 ATOI and had 9 goals, 38 assists, for 47 points.

Hughes had a significantly worse +/-, which narrows significantly when you eliminate all the stupid empty net goals we allowed and he was on the ice for.

Faber is 13 months older and was drafted a year earlier.

I certainly do not seem him earning what, 2.5 times the votes as Hughes. I'm not even convinced he's the better player right now.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
so, joshua signed for 3yrs 3,25m. i was really hoping we could land him. i think with the salaries getting inflated this season, its a really good signing for vancouver cause these guys are rare.
Trenin. Fingers crossed

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Faber did not have a much better year. While he led his team in average ice time as a rookie with 24:58 ATOI and had 8 goals, 39 assists, for 47 points, Luke Hughes also led his team in average ice time as a rookie with 21:28 ATOI and had 9 goals, 38 assists, for 47 points.

Hughes had a significantly worse +/-, which narrows significantly when you eliminate all the stupid empty net goals we allowed and he was on the ice for.

I certainly do not seem him earning what, 2.5 times the votes as Hughes. I'm not even convinced he's the better player right now.
The 2.5 times means nothing other than there was a majority that felt Faber had a better season - it does not equate to him having a 2.5 x better season.

Not worth arguing about from my standpoint - I understand Faber is older but that is irrelevant for this award.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Yeah that's a good deal for Joshua, I would have signed him to that all day. I'm disappointed, but the chances he would have come here are slim anyway, and I'm never going to be mad about a guy re-upping.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I think Faber is better player now, I think he will be better two way defenseman, but I think Luke has much higher ceiling as offensive defenseman and I think he has enough potential to be good enough defensively.

It could be great to draft Faber by 7OA in 2020. It would be as surprising as it was in Shakir case, it would be as great and smart as it was in Shakir case.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He is a pretty slow skater so may not fit into the way we play. I'd be interested in someone like Martinook or Foegle for a bottom 6 LW role. Trenin for C though I don't necessarily think he is a fast skater either.

I'm still not a fan of signing Pesce to what will be a long-term deal. Have to assume it will be around 6 years (7 years would be absurd). He will be 30 shortly after the season starts so that back end of the deal could be painful.

One thing that could help with his aging is that he is not a physical player at all. Guess this would mean we are trading Marino though, which I don't love.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Faber definitely had the better season.

But this kind of shows the power of a name and points, because an argument can be made that Nemec had a better and more consistent year than Luke, yet Luke finished 3rd in votes and all Nemec got was one single measly fifth place vote.

So be it. If the Devils are going to overpay for a Canes guy, let it be Pesce 10/10 over Necas. At least Pesce won’t cost an asset to acquire and he should be a clear upgrade to Marino (assuming he gets dealt).

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Faber definitely had the better season.

But this kind of shows the power of a name and points, because an argument can be made that Nemec had a better and more consistent year than Luke, yet Luke finished 3rd in votes and all Nemec got was one single measly fifth place vote.

So be it. If the Devils are going to overpay for a Canes guy, let it be Pesce 10/10 over Necas. At least Pesce won’t cost an asset to acquire and he should be a clear upgrade to Marino (assuming he gets dealt).

I don’t see how it’s a clear upgrade on ice. Let alone adding the other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad