Prospect Info: 2024 44th Overall - Harrison Brunicke (D)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
CHL defensemen have to compete with NCAA and European Pro route (both longer development curves) once they get to the A and then the NHL. With the longer development curves of the latter two, those routes have been producing more and more NHL defensemen, especially the defensive, shutdown types. Low producing CHL defensemen rarely seem to make it as quality full time NHLers now, and the jump from major junior to pro is quite steep, so the CHL D without high end offensive upside struggle even more once they reach the A.

Oh I am very down on taking CHL players these days as I think it's the worst of the three major development routes, and yet still the most overdrafted.

I just think we should set a reasonable line of what low producing looks like for a draft year CHL dman. They aren't getting PP1 production as a rule for reasons outside of their control. Brunicke's numbers are still low imo, just not stupidly low.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Oh I am very down on taking CHL players these days as I think it's the worst of the three major development routes, and yet still the most overdrafted.

I just think we should set a reasonable line of what low producing looks like for a draft year CHL dman. They aren't getting PP1 production as a rule for reasons outside of their control. Brunicke's numbers are still low imo, just not stupidly low.

“Worst” route but still most talent in terms of total volume. I wouldn’t say overdrafted as much as just the largest pool at the highest level. Luckily for us the W is the best league now IMO which feels insane to say.

I put “worst” in quotes because it is case by case for every player. If you want your guy to touch the puck a lot and get more offensive reps it’s the place to be. NCAA the best for guys who need to physically mature IMO. Gym all week and more than 2 years. Like Pickering would have been perfect guy for NCAA. Europe is great for guys who need to play a ton but see harder competition. Like you could get a prospect a ton of games in bouncing from senior to U20 hockey.

All things equal I prefer the NCAA, especially the NTDP path. Lot of lower talent guys that have squeezed the absolute max out of their abilities due to a ton of resources and coaching being poured into them from an early age and a long development runway. London and the Chicago Steel are also good examples of similar effective “programs”.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
“Worst” route but still most talent in terms of total volume. I wouldn’t say overdrafted as much as just the largest pool at the highest level. Luckily for us the W is the best league now IMO which feels insane to say.

I put “worst” in quotes because it is case by case for every player. If you want your guy to touch the puck a lot and get more offensive reps it’s the place to be. NCAA the best for guys who need to physically mature IMO. Gym all week and more than 2 years. Like Pickering would have been perfect guy for NCAA. Europe is great for guys who need to play a ton but see harder competition. Like you could get a prospect a ton of games in bouncing from senior to U20 hockey.

All things equal I prefer the NCAA, especially the NTDP path. Lot of lower talent guys that have squeezed the absolute max out of their abilities due to a ton of resources and coaching being poured into them from an early age and a long development runway. London and the Chicago Steel are also good examples of similar effective “programs”.

I can't remember where I saw it but I think the stats are CHL players perform worse vs their draft spot than pretty much any other program (I think the US NTDP was up there too - does great, but people focus on it very heavily).

In any case, my main hate on for the CHL is less about the CHL and more about what happens after. I think there's a bunch of prospects who aren't quite ready for the jump from CHL to AHL at 20 but could make the jump from NCAA at 21 or 22. Those extra years of maturity and practice, plus playing against other players who've had them, are big. I do wonder in general whether less game time and more training time would help the CHL but it feels marginal. The age and level at which a guy hits the AHL doesn't. Bonus points for allowing waivers exemption to go on longer, which I think helps a player with a team.

In the case of Brunicke... I can see the argument for CHL being the best place for him for now. Being a focal point. But what happens when he's 20 and he jumps to the pros? It's a steep ask for a 21 year old dman to be good enough defensively to stick in the AHL and it's unlikely he's developed enough offensively that he can stick for that. Being a guy who rises from depth to AHL star and then good NHL player seems really fricking hard. Like I know Dumo took three years in the AHL, but he was playing 50+ games every year. Guys who start their pro careers playing 50 ECHL games and 20 AHL games just don't make it. You pretty much need to be AHL ready straight away and that seems tough.

I read that Friedman said the CHL and NCAA are talking about letting players move between the two. Me, I'd love that for Brunicke. Being able to give him a year in the NCAA as a halfway house. Not possible

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People seeing his 0.5 PPG as a plus, I am seeing it as the opposite. Most times, even guys who end up being defensive defenseman only at the NHL level put up near point per game in junior. It's usually a red flag for me when a defenseman is "only" half a point per game at the junior level.

It's exactly why a guy like Harrington never panned out the way we were hoping. He had the "defensive" side down pat. The problem is he had zero offense and that carried over to the pros where his defense didn't make up for his lack of puck skills.

With the Despres comparison, Despres up up 32 points in 66 games in his draft year. He then gradually improved to 47 points in 63 games in his draft+1 year and then put up 41 points in 47 games in his draft+2 year.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
No one knows how these players will turn out. Depending on the draft anything outside the top 10 is a crapshoot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With the Despres comparison, Despres up up 32 points in 66 games in his draft year. He then gradually improved to 47 points in 63 games in his draft+1 year and then put up 41 points in 47 games in his draft+2 year.
I think my original comment is being misconstrued a bit. You even bolded the main point I was making, which is that him being .5 PPG isn't a PLUS. Doesn't mean he's destined for bust-hood, just that I don't think looking at those totals should be seen as anything as a positive for him.

I think sometimes folks on here have a tendency to do a 1 to 1 comparison of NHL production and OHL production where whatever totals look "good" in the NHL, people will assume that means the same thing for OHL production. Sort of like this case where .5 PPG is like a 40 point defenseman. In the NHL, a 40 point defenseman is seen as a pretty good offensive guy. In junior, it's nothing special.

So when I see a guy who had .5 PPG, my first thought is concerns about his puck moving/outlet passing upside, not "well that's awesome. we've got a potential 40 point defenseman on our hands".

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't know if that's all that great for Pickering to be compared to him and be similar. The future is about as bright as and endless pit of darkness.
This seems like a case of new toy syndrome. I don't think you'd find many reputable prospect watchers who would say Brunicke projects the same level, or better!?, than Pickering in his draft year.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This seems like a case of new toy syndrome. I don't think you'd find many reputable prospect watchers who would say Brunicke projects the same level, or better!?, than Pickering in his draft year.
I've given up on this team and it's shitty owners and the franchise it's become, being back to good. But for f***s sake, can we get one f***ing good Pens writer that isn't f***ing afraid to just question shit and not be spineless? I don't care if this pisses off any of them. They push a stupid f***ing narrative in their own way that isn't as annoying as Yohe and Rossi but it's there.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I would also disagree with that.
I think I would too. Just saying what my interpretation of the above posts is.

However, I don’t think his last 2 years have gone well. Just because he’s a guy that so badly needed to physically mature and he spent last 2 off seasons injured.

He’s type of guy that could still explode in like 2 years though, so we will see.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think I would too. Just saying what my interpretation of the above posts is.

However, I don’t think his last 2 years have gone well. Just because he’s a guy that so badly needed to physically mature and he spent last 2 off seasons injured.

He’s type of guy that could still explode in like 2 years though, so we will see.
The most disappointing thing about Pickering is that he’s shown up to every camp injured as a Penguin. He got in 8 games for WBS last year. This year will be telling for his development. By the end of the year if he is not WBS top d-man and pushing for a look up here I would be concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad