Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I can see Luke demanding the exact same length as Jack -- i.e. signing a contract that's $8m/year until 2030. I can also see the Devils not having much interest in that contract, as it barely buys them any FA years (1, I think? Maybe zero?) and puts a 29 year old Jack and 26 year old Luke in position to become UFAs at the same time.
That's why I said 5x7, could see 5x8, but that would walk him exactly to UFAs door, which made me think the cheaper contract. 6 more years of the Hughes bros, 7 of Timo and Jepser, with Nemac to worry about 2(or 1 to sign) years from now and Nico the year after that. Basically 6 years to absolutely go for it with really good contracts and Nico re-up/trade in the middle. But also with a significant cap increase. If he would take cheaper to walk to UFA, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
they could still do that by separating the top 6 a bit whenever needed. Bratt, Hughes, and Hischier could all potentially be on separate lines when needed and that's not including Meier who'll still be with one of them even if the Devils do separate those three. I don't think the 4th line is much of a worry, we just saw Florida win the cup with Kyle Okposo and Steven Lorentz as mainstays there. Lazar and Bastian are competent enough 4th line guys so I think the Devils are good there.

Can Necas play center?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Rumor is he thinks he can and should, and they don't agree, also disagree on $$ which is why he seems to be on the block.

Cross sport example, it's like when left tackles in the NFL don't want to move to the right side because the latter usually get paid less. It's basically that from what I read Carolina's board, he's more effective on the wing but he knows the big time money is in the center ice spot.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I mean Necas would score 40-45 next to Jack/Bratt, let's be serious for how good he would be for them. That being said, absolutely not for the team building aspect. Just stay at 10 and take the guy with the cheap ELC and, at the worst, will be in NJ in 25-26.

Yep, well said. Necas would be an awesome fit but it just doesn't make sense team building wise

Lets just say Palat is moved in a different deal.... Would you be as concerned with how the roster is built then?

Could also be looking at a more season to season approach. Grab the guys you can make a run make moves later if needed. The core is here so now its figuring out the help to push them over the top.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Cross sport example, it's like when left tackles in the NFL don't want to move to the right side because the latter usually get paid less. It's basically that from what I read Carolina's board, he's more effective on the wing but he knows the big time money is in the center ice spot.
Doesn't excite me at all.....

Reactions: woody footbreaker

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Lets just say Palat is moved in a different deal.... Would you be as concerned with how the roster is built then?

Could also be looking at a more season to season approach. Grab the guys you can make a run make moves later if needed. The core is here so now its figuring out the help to push them over the top.
Did you just copy paste the definition of "Toronto Maple Leafs?"

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Contract scares me a lot but he's definitely a player worth that pick. He would be incredible with Jack/Bratt.

Value wise it’s certainly something that makes sense. Personally I just do not have much interest in adding another big contract at this point rather than adding a guy who could be a key ELC contributor and should be our last time picking this high. I’d rather go throw Stamkos a lot of money to be a short term stop gap than move 10 for Necas

If you can get off of Palat then I’m more down for Necas but Palat’s got a NMC. Who is he going to waive it for that would actually take on that deal?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Well what they're probably gonna do is trade Marino and sign Pesce and then if this Necas move is serious is probably their offseason. Palat isn't getting dumped anytime soon for better or worse.

Value wise it’s certainly something that makes sense. Personally I just do not have much interest in adding another big contract at this point rather than adding a guy who could be a key ELC contributor and should be our last time picking this high. I’d rather go throw Stamkos a lot of money to be a short term stop gap than move 10 for Necas

If you can get off of Palat then I’m more down for Necas but Palat’s got a NMC. Who is he going to waive it for that would actually take on that deal?

Bingo, I'm kinda scared of Stamkos as another Palat in the sense a guy cashing in and just being ho hum with the rest of his career but I don't mind it versus Necas. Necas's tremendous, no doubt about it, but it screams NHL 24 GM mode move lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I dunno about this, I know Jack got a 8 year contract before the bridge, but giving Luke a 8 year this early, I don't see how that's in our favor

I don't think it's that crazy when Werenski is at 9.5M, Heiskanen at 8.45M, Power is at 8.35M, Jake Sanderson at 8M

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If you think Luke is gonna exceed 9M within any of those years as a player then you do it. I just personally think Luke isn't gonna ask that with how Jack did his first long term deal.

Doesn't excite me at all.....

Don't get me wrong, I love love love the player but I think I would hate his contract coming in and what they're trying to do with the roster. Personally I rather take #10 and draft Nygaard for their version of Tkachuk if everything pans out and then look at other avenues to improve this team. I also think they're overreacting a slight bit off of an unlucky season and a very good 22-23 and a bad series v Carolina still.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you think Luke is gonna exceed 9M within any of those years as a player then you do it. I just personally think Luke isn't gonna ask that with how Jack did his first long term deal.

Don't get me wrong, I love love love the player but I think I would hate his contract coming in and what they're trying to do with the roster. Personally I rather take #10 and draft Nygaard for their version of Tkachuk if everything pans out and then look at other avenues to improve this team. I also think they're overreacting a slight bit off of an unlucky season and a very good 22-23 and a bad series v Carolina still.
Jack got his deal 3 years ago...I don't think you can use that as the standard going forward for an elite young player.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I mean Jack got a LOT for how little he’d done at the time of his signing. I also don’t think Luke’s going to get some crazy number and will be around Sanderson/Power but there’s a lot of revisionism on Jack. It was always a bet rather than a deal that was a bargain at the time.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Jack got his deal 3 years ago...I don't think you can use that as the standard going forward for an elite young player.

I mean Jack got a LOT for how little he’d done at the time of his signing. I also don’t think Luke’s going to get some crazy number and will be around Sanderson/Power but there’s a lot of revisionism on Jack. It was always a bet rather than a deal that was a bargain at the time.

Sure that's fair but the idea is still the same where if you expect the player to go above that 9M value then you sign it so you don't handcuff yourself in the future. As for the Jack 8M thing, there was always signs he was gonna break out soon, his shot was the only thing keeping him away from being 85-90 point player and he came back in 22-23 with a lethal one. Not sure if that deal was a bet at all, I always had faith that Jack would destroy the value of 8M yearly once he signed it because of how he always came back yearly with a new facet of his game consistently improving.

Option C. Make the pick develop the player

We don't agree much but this is really option A lol

Reactions: JimEIV

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

buckle up y'ALL

IMG_2305.png

Status
Not open for further replies.