Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
If one of a LD, it could work but we already have Dougie and Nemec on RD. It is one or the other, and I'd prefer Marino due to his age and cap hit, but it looks like it could be Pesce.
I also think its odd to remove and add a RHD but, if Pesce is providing Luke and the team better defense, I understand it

Worry about the end of that deal later

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Im still confused why a new head coach (with proven track record) didnt get any more new coaches than Travis Greene being hired elsewhere

Not that we didnt do great with them two seasons ago or they cant do well now.. just odd when a coach doesnt bring at least a few guys

And Id still take Jay Woodcroft as an Associate coach; cant hurt having an extra guy like him around

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
When does Marino's limited NTC kick in officially? Midnight Ju

Im still confused why a new head coach (with proven track record) didnt get any more new coaches than Travis Greene being hired elsewhere

Not that we didnt do great with them two seasons ago or they cant do well now.. just odd when a coach doesnt bring at least a few guys

And Id still take Jay Woodcroft as an Associate coach; cant hurt having an extra guy like him around
He must of really liked McGill and Taylor, both of their contracts should of been up this summer unless they got extended when Lindy did.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
also, another Meier-type for Jacks right wing would be perfect; doesnt need to be 40 goal potential (though who isnt with Jack) but a bigger or heavier body with skill who uses it

A rotating line for Jack and Haula on that line at all cant be a thing if hes going to have his best year yet

Reactions: JimEIV

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
also, another Meier-type for Jacks right wing would be perfect; doesnt need to be 40 goal potential (though who isnt with Jack) but a bigger or heavier body with skill who uses it

A rotating line for Jack and Haula on that line at all cant be a thing if hes going to have his best year yet

Can't be a guy who shoots as much as Timo, that's why their styles clashed and they didn't work out as well as we thought as we're back to square 1. I wouldn't mind just a flat out play driver and a guy who just finishes play off at the net mouth that Bratt/Jack obviously don't do. The obvious love affair Brady Tkachuk won't end until the Sens get good but even a lesser version of that would be perfectly fine. I legit think Kakko would be good on their wing but the Rags would never do that. But yeah, just get someone who can play drive/finishes plays at the net/has a decent to good shot without having to shoot 7 times a game to score on that wing lol

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Can't be a guy who shoots as much as Timo, that's why their styles clashed and they didn't work out as well as we thought as we're back to square 1. I wouldn't mind just a flat out play driver and a guy who just finishes play off at the net mouth that Bratt/Jack obviously don't do. The obvious love affair Brady Tkachuk won't end until the Sens get good but even a lesser version of that would be perfectly fine. I legit think Kakko would be good on their wing but the Rags would never do that. But yeah, just get someone who can play drive/finishes plays at the net/has a decent to good shot without having to shoot 7 times a game to score on that wing lol

Brady Tkachuk is worse than Timo in that regard. He's finished top 10 in shots 5 times already and was 4th the last two seasons.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Fitz pretty much picks the whole staff except for maybe one guy. I don't like it and am a bit old fashioned thinking the coach should pick his own staff but hell, even Lou pretty much imposed staffs on Burns and others.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Brady Tkachuk is worse than Timo in that regard. He's finished top 10 in shots 5 times already and was 4th the last two seasons.

Very fair point that I realized after I sent that post, lol. I'm torn on the perfect fit with Jack/Bratt, I think they're so good that you can go either direction of a flat out sniper or power forward and they'll do incredible with how good they generate 5v5 but the finding that player is obviously tough. It's very eerie of the Sid early days in Pittsburgh until he got Guentzel on his other side. It's another reason why I want them to pick Nygaard at 10 but they can go a few directions with that pick on Friday

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I've decided I don't think Pesce is happening.

I'm not saying it can't work, but I think too many other moving pieces would have to fall into place for it to make sense. Just doesn't work, really, in the way I think most FA signings and trades do. NHL personnel management tends to follow the path of least resistance, most of the time.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Fitz prob needs a guarantee from Pesce before he trades Marino
5fe57e43-35e8-4387-a353-7887f202948f_text.gif

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If Jack is going to be paired up with Bratt, which I think he should, I'd like to fill out the line with someone on the cheap who doesn't necessarily score much but is fast, defensively sound, and works the boards.

I like the idea of lines formed of consistent pairs and having replaceable 3rd mates that compliment them. Nico-Meier and Jack-Bratt.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
N
If Jack is going to be paired up with Bratt, which I think he should, I'd like to fill out the line with someone on the cheap who doesn't necessarily score much but is fast, defensively sound, and works the boards.

I like the idea of lines formed of consistent pairs and having replaceable 3rd mates that compliment them. Nico-Meier and Jack-Bratt.
while probably a good idea, I also like Bratt-Hischier-Meier playing together for as long as they can and creating the ultimate chemistry

I know that leaves Jack hanging but only for right now; well have better players for him eventually

Reactions: woody footbreaker

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'd check in on Greer too to bring back for bottom 6 help.
Greer sucks IMO. Had a decent run but he’s slow, not very skilled and isn’t a good NHL player in my opinion. Think we can find better bottom 6 help.

I do like the Debrusk idea but I think there will be a lot of interest and we’ll have to overpay. Also don’t love but don’t mind the Sprong idea if it’s somewhat cheap. Seems like a skilled and underrated player who could especially useful on the powerplay. But doesn’t seem physical at all or good defensively. Don’t think Fitz will be very imterested

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Are we really going to move Marino at his contract value? Or would it make more sense to play Pesce on the left side and not require another deal for a LHD?

Pesce-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Are we really going to move Marino at his contract value? Or would it make more sense to play Pesce on the left side and not require another deal for a LHD?

Pesce-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec
I don't believe we are going to trade Marino....

I'm not saying "it's not going to happen". I just can't imagine it.

We'll see...but I think a much more likely scenario is that management wants 4 more experienced defenders that can kill penalties and not have to rely on two young defenders to carry such a heavy workload as they did last year.

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey

Pesce-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec

In this scenario, it implies the D will be set for next season with the addition of Pesce and Desimone is the 7th and we should expect no other moves on D. As much as I like Marino Im not sure I trust him with Luke. Id rather have Pesce in his spot. I guess if we plan to get bigger and tougher it will come with signing or trading for forards in this case. Time will tell. This is going to be a fun week or so for sure to be a Devils fan.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe the backup plan, if they don't land Pesce?
Probably...but the bigger story is it appears someone is going to be replaced on the right side...

Either A. Dougie's still hurt, B. they are going to trade Marino or C. they don't want Nemec in a full time role that would require him to be a top 4 PKer.

Edit: but both of the RHD mentioned so far have been top 4 PKers...so there's that.

Reactions: Mgd31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad