Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Disclaimer I'm still bitter over the Markstrom trade.

How do we fix our D group? Unless Nemec and Hughes start hitting the gym soon, I think we really set us back with the defensive side of the rink.

Before anyone goes apesh*t on me about Bahl, Bahl was only going to get better. Even if he plautued, his intangibles are not duplicated in the current core nor I know of in the pipeline we have in defense, if anything, it gets smaller. Not to mention the cost control was advantages to us.

Now it appears we'd have to spend more assets or capital to put a patchwork up together.
I think Fitz did well with the Marky deal. I think Bahl is replaceable in free agency or via trade, and the 25 1st will hopefully be in the latter portion of the round. You got to give to get and we should get a few solid seasons from Marky. It was absolutely priority #1 for the Devils. Calgary is paying 30 percent of the bill, so that's a good deal.

People are upset about not getting Ullmark instead, but I think it's clear the Devils preferred Markstrom. I did as well. He's able to handle a heavier load and is a true #1 goalie. Also, Ullmark only had one year left on his deal, and it would have been much more costly to re-up with him. I'm not even sure he was willing to sign long term with the Devils, and I'm not sure the Devils really wanted him long term. Markstrom was clearly their target, so let's hope it really pans out.

The Devils kind of set the market for jumping on Marky, but I think they were a little nervous about Toronto getting involved. Marky basically said it wasn't the Devils or bust .. he was open to other options, but it never got that far down the road as it did with the Devils. All told I'm glad we landed the guy. Should help immensely.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I finally saw that random tweet about Pesce and Marino. Why would we want to subtract more D.

We need to get another veteran D not subtract.
Pesce is a better fit on a team that already has a ton of offense and puck moving ability on the blue line and seems like the perfect partner for someone like Luke.

If they think they can sign Pesce and then turn around and trade Marino either for a better LHD fit or forward then it makes sense from a team building perspective.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Zadorav would cost too much and not worth the contract he would get, but subtracting Marino and adding him and Pesce would be a crazy mix of defenders. Every line could have every combo of shut-down, run and gun, and everything in between. If Seigs got back to form they could roll three lines easy or just line match at will.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I honestly wouldn't hate a picks trade for Marino, like 2nd + 3rd or something. Frees up cap space and lets us recoup some picks or use them as ammo in a better trade in the future. Make it a Shero trade, but this time we're the sellers.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I honestly wouldn't hate a picks trade for Marino, like 2nd + 3rd or something. Frees up cap space and lets us recoup some picks or use them as ammo in a better trade in the future. Make it a Shero trade, but this time we're the sellers.
But Marino’s contract is fine. It isn’t freeing up cap space really if we’re signing someone more expensive to replace him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd be happy with signing Pesce and Zadorov then trading Marino if Fitzgerald could make it all work under the cap. I think it would represent a huge defensive and physical upgrade for the blueline. Fitzgerald has repeatedly stated a desire to get tougher to play against, and this would certainly do the trick.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'd be happy with signing Pesce and Zadorov then trading Marino if Fitzgerald could make it all work under the cap. I think it would represent a huge defensive and physical upgrade for the blueline. Fitzgerald has repeatedly stated a desire to get tougher to play against, and this would certainly do the trick.
I mean we could fit that but that’s probably well over half our cap space left minus Mercer deal. Doesn’t give us much to improve upfront at all.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I mean we could fit that but that’s probably well over half our cap space left minus Mercer deal. Doesn’t give us much to improve upfront at all.
Would depend on what we traded Marino for. If we traded him for a physical forward on his ELC, it would help. Or if we traded him to Toronto for Kampf and Minten plus a pick, it would go towards helping up front.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Would depend on what we traded Marino for. If we traded him for a physical forward on his ELC, it would help. Or if we traded him to Toronto for Kampf and Minten plus a pick, it would go towards helping up front.
I was talking cap space. The cap space left is the same regardless of who we trade Marino for. If it’s someone on a very good deal that helps but those players don’t get traded much.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Eh, we have 18 players signed with $15+ Million to play with. I don't think it's that desperate a situation.
That’s a lot less than you think. Around or just over 3M per play. Mercer gets more than that, take some off if Pesce is coming in at a decent bit more than Marino. Zadorov might be getting 5M+. Next think you know we have 5M or something around that, maybe less, for 3 players and one is supposed to be a top 6 addition.

Doesn’t exactly work unless you’re expecting to get a top 6 forward for 3M or less.

Reactions: My3Sons

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
That’s a lot less than you think. Around or just over 3M per play. Mercer gets more than that, take some off if Pesce is coming in at a decent bit more than Marino. Zadorov might be getting 5M+. Next think you know we have 5M or something around that, maybe less, for 3 players and one is supposed to be a top 6 addition.

Doesn’t exactly work unless you’re expecting to get a top 6 forward for 3M or less.
That's also not including taking out/supplementing Marino's $4.4 Million should we trade him. If we're trading him while signing Zadorov and Pesce, you'd assume it's for someone like Marchment which would be top 6-9 help. Thus, no, I wouldn't be expecting to get top 6 help for $3 Million or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad