Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
That's also not including taking out/supplementing Marino's $4.4 Million should we trade him. If we're trading him while signing Zadorov and Pesce, you'd assume it's for someone like Marchment which would be top 6-9 help. Thus, no, I wouldn't be expecting to get top 6 help for $3 Million or less.
No what I just did was fully including taking out Marino’s 4.4M.

Last edited:
Reactions: beekay414

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
But Marino’s contract is fine. It isn’t freeing up cap space really if we’re signing someone more expensive to replace him.
"Replace" is an odd way to say upgrade. Pesce in and Marino out is a significant improvement for only a net cost of something like 2-2.5M cap or so, plus whatever assets we get for trading Marino.

Vegas did a similar thing with Nate Schmidt when they signed Pietrangelo.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
"Replace" is an odd way to say upgrade. Pesce in and Marino out is a significant improvement for only a net cost of something like 2-2.5M cap or so, plus whatever assets we get for trading Marino.

Vegas did a similar thing with Nate Schmidt when they signed Pietrangelo.
It’s debatable if it’s much of an upgrade and it’s certainly not even close to on the level of Pietrangelo vs Schmidt

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
colorado decides they need more skill in their lineup and offers the bash bros (woody, colton) the flyers' 2026 5th rounder and a waffle house gift card for marino (30% retained) holtz and the stars' 2026 round 4 pick. holtz's value is so low i doubt the avs would want that, but i would (assuming we sign pesce)

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Do wonder if we hear anything about an extension for Mercer soon. Would figure Fitz would want to get that wrapped up before the start of UFA.
I’m not sure about that. Might be trying to push it as low as possible and Mercer’s crappy season adds a little uncertainty to the value he should be getting for both parties.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
It’s debatable if it’s much of an upgrade and it’s certainly not even close to on the level of Pietrangelo vs Schmidt
Not really debatable at all. Marino was like one of the worst defenseman in the entire league last season. Agree its not to the level of the Vegas swap, but its a pretty nice upgrade for us.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Do wonder if we hear anything about an extension for Mercer soon. Would figure Fitz would want to get that wrapped up before the start of UFA.

I'd be very, very surprised. Negotiations for a player like Mercer usually take the longest. Severson, Wood, Zacha, Bratt all lasted well into 'August' if I recall correctly. It will probably be the last piece of business.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Pesce is a better fit on a team that already has a ton of offense and puck moving ability on the blue line and seems like the perfect partner for someone like Luke.

If they think they can sign Pesce and then turn around and trade Marino either for a better LHD fit or forward then it makes sense from a team building perspective.

Oh no doubt, I am fine with getting Pesce but not at the extraction of Marino. We are already not deep on D..

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I don’t expect Mercer to get done anytime soon. Henrique was another one that took a bit if I recall? Back in 2013 or whatever year he was an RFA for the first time.

And it usually leads to people worrying about that player not being ready for camp or the start of the season/holding out, but I think the only one that didn’t make it to the start of camp was Bratt during the COVID year.

And I think Bratt was signed before the season opener that year, but it took him a couple of weeks to debut because of covid/international quarantine protocols at the time.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Just for fun, if the Devils fell in love with -- I dunno -- Cayden Lindstrom (just an example). Does a trade like Marino + 10 OA for 5 OA (Montreal) make sense? Or does that undervalue Marino?

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Oh no doubt, I am fine with getting Pesce but not at the extraction of Marino. We are already not deep on D..
Depends on what the team thinks about having 4 RHD and if they are confident with one of them playing their off hand. If they are then I'd agree keeping Marino is probably the best move, but if they don't feel confident about any of them being able to play their off hand then Marino is the obvious trade piece since Hamilton and Nemec aren't getting moved.

Reactions: Guadana

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Wasn't intending this to be a "do the canadiens want Marino" question. More of a 'is there a team in the top-6ish where the Devils include Marino in a trade to leap up and grab their guy'?

No. Trades like this are exceptionally unusual. Teams generally want draft picks in this sort of scenario, and the Devils do not have those to trade (and indeed, trading up within the top 10 is extremely unusual these days).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad