Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That’s a good point I didn’t even realize that. I can’t believe the devils don’t have some type of say in talent no? Msg can just put anyone on the show?
They probably have some veto power since Dano and Sal are still (as of now) on the network but yeah admittedly it’s hard to tell how much input the team actually gets, doubt it’s a lot though.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Jesus, she did an event for the fan club today apparently too.

Can we riot to have them change their minds? The network is just across from Penn Station :laugh:

She looks like the youngest person in the room too. The Devils fan club really needs a youth movement, it's basically all old people.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with old people but this club has literally always been nothing but a vast majority of old people, it could be a lot of fun if they did more to get people of all ages involved and going along for the away games they do.

Also Erika not having her contract renewed sucks. Really hope we don't have a major downgrade in quality next season.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I don't think the KHL would have any issues employing any of those players LOL.

The KHL employs Reid Boucher! That is all you really need to know about where the KHL morality lies.

Or Buium. Or Tij Iginla. Or Demidov.

I've always liked guys like that who try to say that "but others are even worse." It was Hockey Canada that hid this circumstance by paying money for silence. At the same time, Boucher (whom I do not justify at all for his actions) committed his offenses on the territory of another country and suffered penalties on the territory of another country. Offenders from other countries are expelled from the country for much lesser violations in dark Russia. But in sports and in culture in general, there are no systematic problems with sexual violence, and even more so pedophilia, there are no forbearance for acts like this, there are no general managers in the local hockey hall of Fame like Ballard who condoned or covered up sexual violence at stadiums. The Russian sports society has its own problems, but these are its own problems, and trying to cover up its acts of barbarism and systematic concealment of acts of barbarism by trying to expose someone else in a more negative light, although it is a tradition, but tradition of distract. Оwn society, including. This is why Boucher situation was known in corridors of NHL when he was a player, this is why chicago black hawks situation was covered by organisation. And JQ is still a potential candidate for meaningful job. You shouldn't stoop so low.

Iginla doesnt deserve of trading up. May be he is deserving of trading down.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yea, I've said as much as well.....

But my understanding of the American courts is that you have to be sure in what you are convicting someone with, because if it turns out to be a lesser charge, the case won't stick. Think of the different types of "murder." It can't be dropped down, so you need to be sure if it was murder in whatever degree because it can't be dropped to manslaughter. Or something to that affect that I'm sure I'm screwing up. @My3Sons please chime in.

So with that said, "McLeod faces an additional charge of sexual assault “by being a party to the offence.”"

Is it possible that the second charge is to make sure everyone involved gets charged regardless even if his lawyer some how convinces the court he didn't partake in the act physically?

And feel free not to answer if you don't know. And yes I know this is probably not the case. And no I don't want him signed.

My wife was the Assistant DA. She prosecuted a couple of sexual assaults. The way it worked was that you had lesser included charges as I recall. The just would be charged with rape and then the lesser counts. There was one case she prosecuted where the jury convicted the assailant of some sort of sexual battery rather than rape. The just had decided the perp tried to rape the victim but had failed to penetrate because of ED. . Of course there had been no testimony to that effect. Of course criminal law is typically specific to the jurisdiction other than federal crimes but I doubt McLeod is being charged with tax evasion or racketeering.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Anyone not trading Holtz to move up 4 spots has lost their mind. Holtz is worth nowhere close to moving from 10 to 6.
I don’t think you can really speak in absolutes either way with that type of trade. It really just depends on where you tier the prospects and have them all ranked.

If you think Demidov is equal to Celebrini and he slips to #6, absolutely trade up. If you think there’s a big drop off from your top 4-5 to the next group and one of them is still on the board, sure.

If you don’t think theres much difference at that point then what you get at #10, I wouldn’t do it. If you’re targeting a sleeper like MBN, then no as well.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Anyone not trading Holtz to move up 4 spots has lost their mind. Holtz is worth nowhere close to moving from 10 to 6.
I’m not seeing it in this years draft. Obviously I’m not a professional scout but there seems to be agreement that the tier 2/3 guys are in a big basically equal basket.

I don’t even think Holtz has a lot of trade value but I don’t think 6 vs 10 will end up with a different level prospect this year; so a team would need to have a fairly big personal preference outside the consensus to see a large value difference today.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don’t think you can really speak in absolutes either way with that type of trade. It really just depends on where you tier the prospects and have them all ranked.

If you think Demidov is equal to Celebrini and he slips to #6, absolutely trade up. If you think there’s a big drop off from your top 4-5 to the next group and one of them is still on the board, sure.

If you don’t think theres much difference at that point then what you get at #10, I wouldn’t do it. If you’re targeting a sleeper like MBN, then no as well.
Or if you think trading him is better used to acquire a goalie.

Or if you think Holtz has untapped potential.

Granted the Devils have used him as if they are not big fans, but there is clearly talent, talent that can produce at the NHL level, its about rounding out his game, and the Devils have put time in trying to get him to round out his game.

This has been a bit of hope of mine, but it's probably unlikely.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Erika is like Coleman, we have no idea how bad it sucks to lose someone we never put much thought into until we watch them go on to be so important elsewhere.
Nah, I love Erika. And not just because she is adorable. She's actually very good at the job.

Which makes this hard to understand. She's good at the job, and good looking. Why is MSG not signing her? Is it about money?

I 'm pretty bummed though.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nah, I love Erika. And not just because she is adorable. She's actually very good at the job.

Which makes this hard to understand. She's good at the job, and good looking. Why is MSG not signing her? Is it about money?

I 'm pretty bummed though.

I think it has to be about money. I fully expect them to hire someone with less experience for the role, likely meaning they will be cheaper.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The team should've left MSG when it had the chance regardless of this stupid decision to move away from Erika. The inability to come to an agreement with Xfinity and therefor not enable a significant (most of the state I think) to actually watch the Devils is insane. I had a few options to watch the Devils and I live in NJ.

1. Get a VPN and use ESPN+, most people won't do that.
2. Find someone with a different provider and hopefully they'll let you use their password and log in in for to watch via MSG Go.
3. Switch cable providers. Most people won't do that for 82 games.
4. Pay an absolutely INSANE amount of money for the MSG app. Did anyone actually do that?

It's a total joke that that happen in the state that the team plays in. Almost inexcusable. The Devils needed to find something different and I blame the organization almost as much at this point as I do Xfinity and MSG themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad