GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Most fans won't admit it, but size matters. Another year, another cup final that was decided between two teams who had speed and size. The goal of a GM is to win the cup. Sounds obvious to say, but then ask yourself when is the last time a small winger was drafted in the top 10 and helped a team win a cup? Off the top of my head, I have to go back to Kane and the Blackhawks. Takes a really special talent to impact a cup winner at that size.
Marchessault won the Conn Smythe last year (5'9 winger). Not a top 10 pick but I don't think that's a criteria that matters based on what you're seeking. So to me it always goes back to good players = good chance to win the cup.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Wings could certainly use a young winger who could snipe 30-plus. They could also use, in 3-4 years, just about any style of winger capable of making any kind of impact. If Abby had been drafted three years ago, he'd today be the team's best winger prospect. Same college production and 30 pounds heavier than the guy recently voted the best winger-in-waiting. A first AHL season at the same age a little better Mazur's. It hasn't been wrong to deprioritize wingers in the Draft since Raymond, they're the easiest to find via other means anyway, ie Florida. Stockpile enough D and centers and you can leverage a proven good winger when you need one, just like having an extra first-round pick brought in DBC. Positional need shouldn't be a deciding factor at 15th OA, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the first and second-round picks were wingers regardless of whether they are snipers, playmakers or power guys with a two-way game.
Wings are the easiest to acquire, whether through the draft, free agency or trades. I'm down with drafting MBN, but I have no real concerns about acquiring a winger or two when we have the core set.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What about Michael Hage, it wouldn't be bad. Kasper and Danielson are 2 very two way and ''safe'' selections. Brandseg might be a little to similar.
On the other hand Yzerman in his presser clearly stated they want to stay consistent, stick with the plan etc. when it comes to drafting.
I still would be surprised if MBN isn't the pick if the board falls similar to McKenzie's list.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
On the other hand Yzerman in his presser clearly stated they want to stay consistent, stick with the plan etc. when it comes to drafting.
I still would be surprised if MBN isn't the pick if the board falls similar to McKenzie's list.

I’d be surprised if MBN makes it to Detroit’s pick. Late riser, big, strong, physical, solid defensively, great shot and potentially more offense than displayed in a men’s league.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d be surprised if MBN makes it to Detroit’s pick. Late riser, big, strong, physical, solid defensively, great shot and potentially more offense than displayed in a men’s league.
Even after he came in at #17 on Bob’s list?

You still want that bet with the over/under of 12?

Eight of 10 scouts ranked Brandsegg-Nygard between Nos. 14 and 18

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
200.webp

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Could Yzerman make a play to have the Buium brothers together in Detroit ?

I sincerely doubt it. The cost to move up in this draft would be a guy like ASP, Cossa, Danielson, Kasper + the 15. Or a roster player like DeBrincat + the 15. I think Buium is probably the best defenseman in the draft but there isn't a way to move up that wouldn't sting.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I sincerely doubt it. The cost to move up in this draft would be a guy like ASP, Cossa, Danielson, Kasper + the 15. Or a roster player like DeBrincat + the 15. I think Buium is probably the best defenseman in the draft but there isn't a way to move up that wouldn't sting.
Axel Sandin Pellika , #15 , might do the trick ?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Axel Sandin Pellika , #15 , might do the trick ?

It might. But I don't do it.

I like Buium a lot but I don't know if he's going to be much better than ASP. Why trade a player that's developing nicely AND a 1st for a similar player that's a year younger that you can't guarantee will be better than what you already have? It doesn't make sense to me unless you think Buium will be a for sure all star and ASP will just be another guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad