Speculation: Devils desperately need a goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
This is a lost year for NJ. Blackwood has been terrible but he’s on a cheap contract and I’m sure they still realize the potential prior to this year.

Fair enough although I disagree about seeing any remaining potential lol.

He's been that bad.

NJ needs a stable solution, Crawford retired before playing a single game and Bernier's hips exploded.

Desperation is a stinky cologne and the Devils are desperate for goaltending.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fair enough although I disagree about seeing any remaining potential lol.

He's been that bad.

NJ needs a stable solution, Crawford retired before playing a single game and Bernier's hips exploded.

Desperation is a stinky cologne and the Devils are desperate for goaltending.
Sure? The “Devils need a goalie” is kind of the point of the thread.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This whole "potential" and "used to be good" talk only comes from the brief stretch of games at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021. Outside of that time he's been consistently mediocre/bad.

From December 4th 2019 - Feb 17th 2021

Blackwood: 17-6-6, .930 SV%, 2.40 GAA

Every other start before and after that time period

Blackwood: 38-44-9, 900 SV%, 3.08 GAA

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They're also in desperate need of goal scoring wingers. Holtz fits that need.

And they'd have been in need for even average goaltending for years after Schneider fell off a cliff. Blackwood had his good moments. But that is one hell of a reason to pass on the fact a guy like Askarov comes along every 3-5 years and a guy like Holtz can be had any given draft. I get the need but y'all have been hurting in net way longer than at wing

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
IMO, I think you are in the same boat as the Oilers. Unless the team in front of your goalie plays better, it wouldn't matter if Brodeur in his prime (not sure he ever wasn't in "his prime") was in goal.

Even a boatload of top 5 picks chock full of offensive skill can only do so much in helping outscore the opposition. Leadership, defense, and sacrifice is required to make any goalie look decent. A team that displays little of any of that and loses 4-1 to the Coyotes (a team since 0-3 and outscored 17-6) isn't going to do much better regardless who is in net.

Well maybe Brodeur would make a difference.

:popcorn:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'm sure Toronto would trade Michael Hutchinson to the Devils. He's heading into free agency and may appreciate the chance to audition for his next contract. He could probably be had for futures or a 7th round pick or something like that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vanacek Husso and Korpisalo are the popular young candidates.

But I dont think your moving on from Blackwood right now…
Korpisalo sucks. He’s outplayed by every goalie teammate of his every year, aside from when he was better than Bobrovsky in his rookie season 6 years ago.

We don’t need to move on from Blackwood just yet, but he should be the backup.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
And they'd have been in need for even average goaltending for years after Schneider fell off a cliff. Blackwood had his good moments. But that is one hell of a reason to pass on the fact a guy like Askarov comes along every 3-5 years and a guy like Holtz can be had any given draft. I get the need but y'all have been hurting in net way longer than at wing

Askarov hasn’t exactly raised his stock since the draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Halak for a 3rd?

Probably doesn't make sense for us given where we are in the standings, I imagine we'd be dumpster diving (a la getting Gillies a few weeks ago). I'd also think Vancouver would want to do Halak a solid and trade him to a playoff team.

Realistically I think we'll either have to do a less sexy trade (7th rounder for Louis Domingue variety) or just go with the current gong show situation and hope Blackwood heals up. But the body language from some of the players yesterday wasn't great.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
This whole "potential" and "used to be good" talk only comes from the brief stretch of games at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021. Outside of that time he's been consistently mediocre/bad.

From December 4th 2019 - Feb 17th 2021

Blackwood: 17-6-6, .930 SV%, 2.40 GAA

Every other start before and after that time period

Blackwood: 38-44-9, 900 SV%, 3.08 GAA

Exactly.

I've gotten to the point where I consider his good stretches the outlier.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
He's 19 playing in the KHL. He's doing just fine for himself. Meanwhile we're talking about this on the "Devils need a goalie" thread. Was there some kind of hurry I'm not aware of?

You’re questioning the Devils choice of Holtz who also fills a need and is doing well in his first full season in NA. If Askarov was playing consistently lights out, sure. But his numbers have regressed and he’s had back to back very poor WJC showings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad