Speculation: Devils desperately need a goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think they are going to look at a UFA goalie on the cheap for the rest of this season, I don't even think they'll care that much if they're overly good just an actual NHL goalie.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's Koskinen out of Edmonton assuming they can find an upgrade in their net

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why? worse the goalie, better the draft pick.

The players' body language during yesterday's game was understandably rough. They're professionals, but I can only imagine it being tough to get up for a game if your goalies are a couple AHL caliber guys. For the sake of the young guys, you don't want the veterans (who wouldn't be around for the 2022 draft pick) to mentally check out either.

Nobody's saying to go trade a premium asset for help right now, but at least kicking the tires on an NHL caliber netminder if Blackwood is out for awhile seems reasonable.

And as much as we don't like to think of running a hockey team like a business, part of being a GM is generating revenue. Attendance would take a hit with a prolonged losing streak.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
IMO, I think you are in the same boat as the Oilers. Unless the team in front of your goalie plays better, it wouldn't matter if Brodeur in his prime (not sure he ever wasn't in "his prime") was in goal.

Even a boatload of top 5 picks chock full of offensive skill can only do so much in helping outscore the opposition. Leadership, defense, and sacrifice is required to make any goalie look decent. A team that displays little of any of that and loses 4-1 to the Coyotes (a team since 0-3 and outscored 17-6) isn't going to do much better regardless who is in net.

Well maybe Brodeur would make a difference.

:popcorn:
Brodeur took some highly mediocre teams to the playoffs. I'm talking defensive core that included Sheldon Brookbank, Vitali Vishnevski, Mike Mottau, and Karel Rachunek (RIP). He won a highly deserved Vezina that year.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
And they'd have been in need for even average goaltending for years after Schneider fell off a cliff. Blackwood had his good moments. But that is one hell of a reason to pass on the fact a guy like Askarov comes along every 3-5 years and a guy like Holtz can be had any given draft. I get the need but y'all have been hurting in net way longer than at wing
Nah using 1st round picks on a goalie is too risky and we need a scoring winger in a massive way. I still take Holtz (or Quinn) with that pick in a redraft.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Why? worse the goalie, better the draft pick.
Because someone has to actually play goalie. Bernier is out for the year and Blackwood is going on the IR for an unspecified amount of time. Arizona picked off our Number #3 goalie, Wedgewood, off of waivers on Nov 4th and kept him.

So we have one AHL goalie/long in the tooth prospect, Jon Gillies, we got for Future Considerations from the Blues and two AHL rookies who have started in a combined 25 AHL games.

The two rookies need to play more in the AHL, they’ve both been up and not surprisingly they’ve had a rough time in the NHL. So we need another goalie.

And it would be cool not to pass Seattle, who currently have the lowest SV% in the NHL, and continue to have awful goaltending endlessly murder us in our beds. (We were tied for 2nd worst in SV% last season with SJ, Philly was #1 worst, so this far from a brand new horrible experience.)

1021huss

Jan 26, 2010
I think the Bruins have Brodeur son in the minors. That being said how about a Ullmark trade

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NJ needs both a short term answer and a medium/long term answer, though they're probably not the same player unless someone is willing to gift us a bluechip young goalie for some reason.

We need a short term guy who is better than Jon Gillies to finish out the year, willing to give up a late pick/C-level prospect/fringe roster player just to stop the bleeding.

We need a long term guy, preferably 25 or under, who can either be 1A in a tandem or a legitimate long term starter. These guys don't grow on trees and we would have much better pieces on the table depending on the specific player.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Hoping the Sabres offer Campbell a ton to come in and stabilize the crease with UPL. I wouldn't give Campbell too much term as he hasn't been consistently good over his career. Maybe something like $5 million over 4 years.
You think Campbell would choose the Sabres over the Leafs for $5 x 4yrs?? I don't think that entices a starting goalie to leave a perennial cup contender.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
You think Campbell would choose the Sabres over the Leafs for $5 x 4yrs?? I don't think that entices a starting goalie to leave a perennial cup contender.

I think there's a wide range of possible outcomes for the Leafs + Jack Campbell this season that will lead to a wide range of possible destinations/contracts he'd be willing to accept.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
NJ needs both a short term answer and a medium/long term answer, though they're probably not the same player unless someone is willing to gift us a bluechip young goalie for some reason.

We need a short term guy who is better than Jon Gillies to finish out the year, willing to give up a late pick/C-level prospect/fringe roster player just to stop the bleeding.

We need a long term guy, preferably 25 or under, who can either be 1A in a tandem or a legitimate long term starter. These guys don't grow on trees and we would have much better pieces on the table depending on the specific player.
Just run gillies. I'd rather not give up an asset unless that asset is a 1a goalie or one with potential. They are not making the playoffs and are bottom seven in the league. I'll just look forward to the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad