Speculation: Devils desperately need a goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
As the title says the Devils need a new starting goalie. Moving towards next year NJ cannot rely on Blackwood nor Bernier due to injuries. What we need is a legitimate younger goalie whose hip won't give out after a few weeks. We as a team cannot make the next step without improving what we got in net. At this point the only untouchables are Nico, Hughes, Mercer, Bratt, Hamilton. What young goalies are available & what would it take from NJ?

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Vanacek Husso and Korpisalo are the popular young candidates.

But I dont think your moving on from Blackwood right now…

Why not?

He's been pretty consistently terrible and after a few brief flashes where it looked like had it in him to be a starter its all been downhill.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Devils are kinda stuck in limbo until they can figure out what's up with Bernier, and whether he is going to LTIRetire. The absolute worst case scenario is that he comes back and is a shell of himself due to the hip surgery - kind of like what happened to Schneider. That's also the most likely scenario.

If they were to bring in a goalie that's an upgrade on Blackwood, he'd cost some good money, and they'd need to send down Bernier. A lot of people say "don't do that to a vet", but at some point you need to do what's best for the team.

Daws and Schmid have shown some potential in their first pro seasons in the AHL but they have looked outmatched in the NHL. Need to keep them away for a few years and let them develop properly.

Not an easy situation to be in. Makes me really miss the days when you could pencil in Brodeur for 70 starts every year.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Blackwood is overrated af and even NJ front office doesn't think he's the guy long term

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Why not?

He's been pretty consistently terrible and after a few brief flashes where it looked like had it in him to be a starter its all been downhill.
This is a lost year for NJ. Blackwood has been terrible but he’s on a cheap contract and I’m sure they still realize the potential prior to this year.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Giving up on Blackwood would be a huge mistake. He was lights out once he took over, until he got Covid last year. This year, he never recovered from heel surgery. He needs to fully heal the heel and then we can see what he can do. If that means he sits the rest of the year, so be it.

For now, pick up a solid band aid if that is possible. Preferably UFA at the end of the year. Not sure who, if anyone, would fit that bill though.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Wait for Jack Campbell to become UFA? Dubas can't pay him anyway :laugh:

He said young, but I think The Leafs will find a way to keep him, but imo signing him will be risky considering his track record isn't the longest and he's already 30. Plus how much are his stats indicative to how good of a regular season team the Leafs have been.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Wait for Jack Campbell to become UFA? Dubas can't pay him anyway :laugh:
Hoping the Sabres offer Campbell a ton to come in and stabilize the crease with UPL. I wouldn't give Campbell too much term as he hasn't been consistently good over his career. Maybe something like $5 million over 4 years.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Giving up on Blackwood would be a huge mistake. He was lights out once he took over, until he got Covid last year. This year, he never recovered from heel surgery. He needs to fully heal the heel and then we can see what he can do. If that means he sits the rest of the year, so be it.

For now, pick up a solid band aid if that is possible. Preferably UFA at the end of the year. Not sure who, if anyone, would fit that bill though.
There have been many reasons why Blackwood has struggled, but at some point the reasons turn into excuses. I think the Devils should get another youngish or experienced goalie and let them compete for the 1A spot. If Blackwood gets the job, great. If he doesn't get it, the another one goalie can get it.

The Stars have had a three goalie monster this season. I think the Devils should think something similar, because we don't know, how Bernier will play when he comes back.

The Devils have lost too many seasons because of pathetic goaltending, and I'm sick of it.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah, he was just placed back on IR for problems with the same heel he had surgery on over the summer. He never healed, and he probably shouldn’t have started to play so quickly. Ruff has painted it as Mac “fighting through it,” but now we see it has set him back.

His last year plus worth of work has been underwhelming, but I hesitate to quit on the guy. He’s been dealt a shit hand.

And it doesn’t help that Fitz has now signed two veterans to insulate Mac, and both options have gone up in smoke. Bad luck all around.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
They need to shut Blackwood down for the season, he's clearly not okay and if they once again rush him back they're 1 step closer to ruining him for good.
I don't think they should move on from him though

Reactions: MakoSlade

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
LOL at Flyers fan commenting on goaltending.

FO not thinking Blackwood is the guy longterm, from TA goalie tiers article on oct 11,2021.

upload_2022-1-26_10-36-31.png

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I wouldn't give up on Blackwood yet. He's only in his third NHL season and we know it takes longer for goalies to develop.
If we do not get another goalie capable of being a starter we risk throwing another season in the garbage & thats the last thing I wanna do. We can't go into next season praying on a miracle that Bernier's hip heals & Blackwood regains his form. It would be the Cory Schneider 2.0 scenario. What we need right now is a young starter for Blackwood to compete with. Whoever is the better goalie gets the job. Im not gonna hand Blackwood the keys to the throne when he hasn't earned it. The only reason why he was named starting goalie in NJ was because he had no competition. The few games Bernier played he looked much better & would of replaced Blackwood as the starter this season if his hip didn't go out. For these reasons alone we need a goalie. Theres almost nothing that is off limits if it guarantees me for the next few years we will have stellar goaltending. I would give up a 1st prospects or roster players in a heartbeat if we got elite numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad