Devils chances at playoffs - The Final Push - Points and Standings Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's almost as if every team is just letting us hang around. The devils need to take care of business on there end. We own the tiebreaker on every team but columbus right now

We've been "hanging around" all season. Now would be a great time to figure our **** out. I'm not going to hold my breath though. This team just likes ****ing with us.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Tomorrow's DET vs. TOR game suddenly becomes enormous. It just needs to end in regulation. Whoever loses we could pass as early as Monday night.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Isles usually give us trouble and they have been scoring some goals lately...we need to take this game by the balls right from the opening faceoff. If we sit back and play patient, they will jump all over us. We need to remind them that they should be tanking for a better pick about now...

Every single time we've had a chance to jump up into a good spot to make the playoffs, we've crapped in our pants. The stadium series game, the 2nd Detroit game, the Florida game, etc. They've shown no ability to take the bull by the horns and help themselves. I totally expect them to drop this game tomorrow. It would just fit the narrative of this season perfectly.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Every single time we've had a chance to jump up into a good spot to make the playoffs, we've crapped in our pants. The stadium series game, the 2nd Detroit game, the Florida game, etc. They've shown no ability to take the bull by the horns and help themselves. I totally expect them to drop this game tomorrow. It would just fit the narrative of this season perfectly.

You're not wrong...but I swear if we lose tomorrow I may have to be committed :laugh: :shakehead

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's almost as if every team is just letting us hang around. The devils need to take care of business on there end. We own the tiebreaker on every team but columbus right now

Devils have 1 less ROW than Columbus, so pretty safe to assume that if we are able to catch them we would probably own the tiebreaker at that point (not much chance the Devils start rattling off any shootout wins). So at least the Devils just have to tie all the teams in front of them & not pass them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Devils have 1 less ROW than Columbus, so pretty safe to assume that if we are able to catch them we would probably own the tiebreaker at that point (not much chance the Devils start rattling off any shootout wins). So at least the Devils just have to tie all the teams in front of them & not pass them.

We also don't have to catch them. As long as we catch the others.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Whats up with the 92 point obsession all over the main boards. It doesn't make sense. If thats the case Toronto would need to win 6 out of its last 7 games. Washington 7 out of its last 9(because they cant win the Row at 92 points). Devils would need 8 out of its last 9 games. Detroit and Columbus 6 out of its last 9. I dont even think either of these teams have won 6 out of there last 9 games after the olympic break. The math doesn't make sense.

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
Good night for NJ. Now please win tomorrow and hopefully DET wins in regulation so the Leafs just continue to free fall and continue their expertise at golfing.:yo:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Whats up with the 92 point obsession all over the main boards. It doesn't make sense. If thats the case Toronto would need to win 6 out of its last 7 games. Washington 7 out of its last 9(because they cant win the Row at 92 points). Devils would need 8 out of its last 9 games. Detroit and Columbus 6 out of its last 9. I dont even think either of these teams have won 6 out of there last 9 games after the olympic break. The math doesn't make sense.

Its likely going to be 90,has us at 64 percent in and 91 has us at 83 percent. 92 is over 90 percent

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Before the leafs exploded the math was favoring the spot being 92 points which is historically about where the final spot usually sits. Everyone keeps losing so it's looking less and less likely now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We also don't have to catch them. As long as we catch the others.

Yeah we have to catch three of the four at least (Toronto, Detroit, Columbus, Washington).

Usually the cutoff line is about 92 though you may be right, at this point it might well be less this year.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Yeah we have to catch three of the four at least (Toronto, Detroit, Columbus, Washington).

Usually the cutoff line is about 92 though you may be right, at this point it might well be less this year.

Leafs have played two more games than us and are free falling with no parachute. As long as we take care of business we can catch them easily. We have a game against Washington remaining. One of Detroit/columbus will Likely be in. So that basically has us chasing Detroit/columbus and Washington thats if we cash in our two games in hand against the leafs. We also hold the tiebreaker over everyone and likely will at the end of the season. All this is contingent on us winning our games tho.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I will personally be staying away if they lose. Anyone know who is in net tomorrow?

Same here - I just can't take them blowing these chances. Don't think there's been any annoucement on tomorrow night's goalie.

Marty has started 2 of 3 vs. the Isles this season, but think PDB has to go back to Schneider after his comment the other day about leaning towards the rested goalie. Devils beat the Isles 2-1 with Schneider in net on 12/28. Devils were 1-0-1 vs. Isles with Marty, winning 6-1 & losing 4-3 in a shootout.

If the Devils miraculously manage not to blow this now that our hopes are up again, it will be interesting to see how PDB splits them vs. FLA & BUF back-to-backs. Cory is already 0-3 vs. Luongo this season, so maybe Marty gets a shot.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
So the past three days have almost been perfect for the Devils out of town scores. Other than the one point shoot out loss by Washington they have rose to 22% play off chance from 14% in those three days with out even getting a win. Super strange.:laugh:

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Tomorrow's DET vs. TOR game suddenly becomes enormous. It just needs to end in regulation. Whoever loses we could pass as early as Monday night.

This. a BILLION times. :rant:

I don't care if the Leafs get blown out or they somehow eke out a win against the wings.....just don't allow the losing team to get a Loser point because then WE would end up being the real losers here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This. a BILLION times. :rant:

I don't care if the Leafs get blown out or they somehow eke out a win against the wings.....just don't allow the losing team to get a Loser point because then WE would end up being the real losers here.

Well it wouldn't be THAT bad as long as we win but ya that game needs to end in regulation. Honestly it's better if the wings lose. We can catch the leafs with our games in hand. We need the wings to lose games to catch them.

Everyone we are chasing is playing tomorrow. Jackets finish their back to back in Carolina. Hope for the best but not expecting help there.

Caps have the Bruins so we should get help there.

Regulation ending with Leafs Wings and a Caps lose (and of course we win) and that's a very good day for us.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I just re-read parts of this thread. The team is in exactly the same spot they were at the start of this thread, just with fewer games. Its Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. Seriously the beginning of the thread has the same scenarios we are talking about now. I hope the team has a extra gear than the current gear shift. I can imagine three games left in the season "If they win the next three games they are in, just have to get this final streak going:laugh:"

So frustrating but I can say that with a laugh for some reason.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I just re-read parts of this thread. The team is in exactly the same spot they were at the start of this thread, just with fewer games. Its Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. Seriously the beginning of the thread has the same scenarios we are talking about now. I hope the team has a extra gear than the current gear shift. I can imagine three games left in the season "If they win the next three games they are in, just have to get this final streak going:laugh:"

So frustrating but I can say that with a laugh for some reason.

That's the saddest most frustrating part. It has been ours for the taking for weeks now.

We got three games against the bottom 3 teams in the east. You literally can't ask for a better time to win 3 in a row. Ya they are still NHL teams but you don't sit in the basement without reason.

So if they can't win 3 now ya then they never will.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
So for tomorrow, go Bruins (vs WSH), go Canes (vs CBJ), and go Leafs (vs DET). And obviously go Devils.

If those four stars align, we'll be sitting two points out. Still less than ideal, but just that thought makes me optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad