Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Year 1 - Terrible coach.

Year 2 - Stood on his head, carried team to Stanley Cup finals

Year 3 - Team in front of him couldn't score to save their lives.

Marty had one more year left in him. It was totally unnecessary to pay such a steep price for a goalie, when we could have acquired one for much cheaper after Brodeur retired.

Now Schneider goes from splitting games with Luongo, to splitting games with Brodeur. Its a bad move especially because we needed a good young forward prospect so badly. Who do we have in the pipeline? Nobody.

Fought injuries all 3 of those years.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
It's not like Schneider is 22-23 years old either..... He'll be 30 sooner rather than later.....

I'm not too thrilled right now..

Sure, but if he stays here as our 1# for the next 6-10 years, we have plenty of time to draft and develop forward prospects.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The defense that was the best in the NHL at preventing shots last season?

Our defense is good, at least defensively. Our forwards are good in their own end. Our goaltending is what has been bad.

When are you going to get it? Shot QUANTITY means absolutely nothing. Our shot quality against was awful. More than half of the shots we allowed last year were from between the circles. I'd challenge any goalie to put up a respectable season when half of the shots they face are superb slot chances.

Of course we make the playoffs with Schneider last year. Hedberg directly cost us several games. That doesn't change the fact our defense lets the opponent walk into high percentage areas on a whim.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Not all shots are equal, especially when you consider that teams play different systems.

So the Devils, even though they're great at puck possession and preventing shots, are just really bad at allowing good shots? There is an outside possibility that this is the case, but no compelling evidence that it is.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
When are you going to get it? Shot QUANTITY means absolutely nothing. Our shot quality against was awful. More than half of the shots we allowed last year were from between the circles. I'd challenge any goalie to put up a respectable season when half of the shots they face are superb slot chances.

Of course we make the playoffs with Schneider last year. Hedberg directly cost us several games. That doesn't change the fact our defense lets the opponent into high percentage areas on a whim.

More than half the shots we allowed last year were between the circles?

Not even gonna bother continuing this convo.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's not like Schneider is 22-23 years old either..... He'll be 30 sooner rather than later.....

If sooner equal's 2.5 years then you're right.

He's up for FA b4 he turns 30. That's a bigger concern then age at this point.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I see Mary getting the opening day start as a possibility but Mary isn't play anywhere near 50% of the games.

Schneider has put up a .927 SV% for his career (98 games - 2715 shots). He is now going to play for the team that gave up the fewest shots last season. He will play a lot for us and he should.

Definitely. Schneider should be playing 55 games next season.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

Of course we make the playoffs with Schneider last year. Hedberg directly cost us several games. That doesn't change the fact our defense lets the opponent walk into high percentage areas on a whim.

Shot quality against would normalize over 3 bad seasons.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Marty's elite stickhandling will be missed though. There was a reason why the shot totals were so low.

1. He's not leaving yet.

2. His stickhandling would have been missed anyway since he will retire soon.

3. The stupid trapezoid cut the value of that in half.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Why are we arguing whether Marty was good or not? It doesn't matter..... He's going to retire in a year or two. We were not going to start Wedgewood, and we just got a franchise goalie.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is a massive coup for you guys.

Schneider was our best player last year, basically carried us to the division title. His numbers were basically a carbon copy of this year's Vezina winner, and Schneider would probably have been a finalist for that award if he'd played 5-8 more games.

This guy is a stud, and I'd say he's a top-5 goalie in the game from the moment he makes his first start for you. Plus he's got character coming out of his ears.

Absolutely gutted that he's no longer a Canuck. He'll win a Vezina for you guys sooner rather than later.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Marty's elite stickhandling will be missed though. There was a reason why the shot totals were so low.

What?
Marty had 22.55 shots per game (.372 shots per minute) and Hedberg had 22.89 (.393 shots per minute).

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

He's 27. He's the type of guy we can expect to play 10 years of quality hockey. We dont have to worry about goaltending again for years. Its just not flashy.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
1. He's not leaving yet.

2. His stickhandling would have been missed anyway since he will retire soon.

3. The stupid trapezoid cut the value of that in half.

I'm not saying Brodeur is superior to Schneider since Corey is clearly a tier above in his peak years. But I don't think devil fans realize how important Brodeur was in aiding the defense.

Vilgraining

Jul 7, 2012
So now we are upset we are getting a 27 yr old number 1 goalie, because he isn't a #1 23 year old?

He will play about 50 games and this will help us avoid Lou forfeiting the #7 overall pick next year.

This deal is nothing but great

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Schneider gets the reins when he is also playing for that big contract. Vintage move Lou. I was shocked and indifferent at first. Now I'm just plain ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad