Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Andreas Johnsson from Toronto for Joey Anderson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Thrilled with this deal, Johnsson is a surprisingly good player capable of chipping in 20 goals and 40-50 points in a full season. No disrespect to Joey, but I suspect his ceiling is quite far below what Johnsson is already; plus we just added Holtz & Mercer to our RW pipeline which makes him easily expendable. Not saying Anderson is a dud by any means, I just think his upside is relatively limited and at best he might become a 3rd liner with a few more years of development.

Also happy that Johnsson has some term left at a very reasonable cap hit, he'll be a nice complementary piece for us moving forward, great job by Fitzy.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I've seen a lot of Coleman comparisons to Anderson and I don't get them at all, Joey will be a fine bottom 6 player but he is far more cerebral. Johnsson is actually far more of a Coleman comp with maybe more offensive upside. Great trade.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm sure there will be some complaining about losing Anderson, I liked the kids game a whole lot, but this at worst a triple if not a HR deal.
The complaining is that AJ has had a bunch of injuries, knee being the most recent i believe

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Isn't Nick Merkley a better Joey Anderson anyway?
Yeah, at getting injured. I kid. Merkley has more offensive potential but Anderson is more of a two way player fit for more defensive role and has a lot more more NHL experience and therefore is more of a sure thing. Both of them, and Johnsson, show the downside of playing “bigger than your size” and that’s getting “frequently injured”.

We have a lot forward prospects signed, particularly at wing, and we don’t actually have extra picks so it makes the most sense to swap one out in this trade. I believe people are sleeping on how much fun yelling “JOEYYYY” at games is though.

dinosaur33

Jul 5, 2009
This could be another Palmieri trade if Johnsson takes off with more ice time and responsibility, or at worst the Devils are paying 2.5 million more and get the same production Joey Anderson was going to deliver. Odds are it's somewhere in the middle there.

Plus there is Merkely, Bastian, and in a year Mercer to help fill out bottom 6 righties if they need to save money.

Reactions: Billdo

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I'm kind of confused by this post tbh. We moved Anderson, who you admittedly never really cared for, for a guy who when healthy is a 40-50 player (on limited minutes in Toronto, and can possibly eclipse that in a larger role. We need scoring, I don't think Anderson ever hits 20 goals in a season.
That guy called Crawford a terrible goalie last night soooo

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Hard to knock this deal; Anderson's a likable player, but as of now it's hard to say his upside is more than a lower line guy, so nabbing a player like Johnsson who's already middle-6 capable makes sense.

Plus, yeah, a lot of the guys Fitz is getting ahold of work to improve the team while still keeping the rebuild in solid shape, which is how the Devils should be approaching things at this stage of climbing out of the cellar. Each of the main guys they've acquired come with injury risks, but that means that they also come at lower cap hits, aren't on the books for too long (Johnsson at three years works given that he's only 25), and didn't cost too much to get in the first place.

That opens up three broad scenarios: worst case, they have a hard time staying on the ice but their contracts mean they won't be clogging up the roster or eating up too much cap space. Best case, they give the young team a boost and help them get competitive earlier than expected. "Middle" case, the team is better but still not ready for primetime yet, so their low cap hits/contract terms make them attractive trade bait for more picks or prospects. All of that and Fitz only had to give up Anderson, a 5th, and some cap room that's easily affordable at the moment. Pretty solid.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Was waiting for Joey. Glad to match him to a player who fits in our lineup immediately

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm kind of confused by this post tbh. We moved Anderson, who you admittedly never really cared for, for a guy who when healthy is a 40-50 player (on limited minutes in Toronto, and can possibly eclipse that in a larger role. We need scoring, I don't think Anderson ever hits 20 goals in a season.
AJ is a good player, you guys will like him. But no offence I doubt he'll ever eclipse 50 points with you guys. He had a lot better supporting cast with the Leafs. He'd do fine on the 2nd line, but if he's on the 3rd line he'd be very good. If he stays healthy, safe bet he gets 40-45 points.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
AJ is a good player, you guys will like him. But no offence I doubt he'll ever eclipse 50 points with you guys. He had a lot better supporting cast with the Leafs. He'd do fine on the 2nd line, but if he's on the 3rd line he'd be very good. If he stays healthy, safe bet he gets 40-45 points.
Thanks for dissecting my post over 5 points lol. Seriously though, appreciate the insight.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well you said eclipse 50 points but yea no problem. And yea he's good in tight around the net, surprising for his size.

He sounds like an older, proven Joey Anderson. Basically if Joey hits his potential, you have your AJ replacement.

I wonder where STI is. He was always very bullish on Joey. I wonder what his thoughts are about this deal.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Just this trade. Sad that Joey is gone :(, he was one of my favorite prospects, but I cant complain about the trade at all. Fitz is proving to be shrewd, but also very smart with his deals as well. Now lets just get another asset from another cap full team..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad