Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Andreas Johnsson from Toronto for Joey Anderson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
In case Devil's fans don't know how Andreas Johnsson went from the #202 overall pick in the 2013 NHL entry draft to seeing time on Toronto's 1st line was when he was drafted, nobody knew he was Asthmatic. He'd been in competitive sports and evaluated when he wasn't at 100%. When they figured that out, he surged in performance and made the NHL.

A very likable guy, a contagious smile, he'll fit into the team no problem. He's the type of player to contribute in the NHL, but has no impact in any area of his game that you'd expect to find a team like Tampa Bay using his services. He'll really be a fun player as a place-holder that as a N.J. fan would hope slowly gets knocked down the depth chart as the future emerges.

Toronto is at least pretending to be all 'win-now', so Mango was always on the chopping block.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Leafs fan - this is a great pickup for you guys. Johnsson's tenacious, pretty highly skilled, and a great skater. I'm sure he'll have a chance to shine with the opportunity he gets on the Devils... even though he's already mid 20s, part of me still thinks he could become an Arvidsson type player sometime down the line.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
From an older post on Mango. He may not turn out to be much but his upside is pretty clear as well. Thanks for the cap space!

When we look at AJ we see a steady progression from 2013 in the SHL to his rookie NHL season. The only thing that looks out of place in his stat line is 19-20. As a rookie he scored 40 points in 55 games beside Matthews in under 14:00 TOI. Since Matty only had 15 primary assists and his wingers scored 40g it would be unrealistic to attribute that success to some kind of heroics by the big guy. Those points appear to be legit, and I would suggest that being the top shooter in the SHL for his last two seasons there, 10% shooting isn't really where he could expect to be in an average year. His p60 as a rookie was 2.50 which for context is better than any of the big four did last season. People on this board have suggested making a trade for Terevainen. TT has never had 2.50 p60 nor has Aho.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
As a Leaf fan I felt Kapanen and Johnsson were about equal. They were compared alot because they were about neck and neck on the depth chart and produced at a similar clip. Kapanen had the elite speed but generally plays with blinders... Johnsson was more well rounded. Johnsson was tenacious and unafraid naturally while Kaps seemed to be on and off physicall.. Johnsson has a good shot, can pass and good speed. Only downfall is health. Personally I liked him more than Kapanen for these reasons but unfortunately he was injured most of last season. Considering Kapanen cost Pitts a 1st and a former second round pick, I think this is a great deal for the Devils. Then again I do not know a lot about Anderson. Mango had 20 goals in his first NHL season, albeit a little older (23)... but nonetheless impressive debut.

Hope Mango works out!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To start the year.

Top 9:
Johnsson
Bratt
Boqvist
Hughes
Hischier
Palmieri
Zajac
Zacha
Gusev

Bottom 3:
Wood
McLeod
Kuokknen
Matlsev
Merkley
Foote

I like our options for the bottom 3. The top 9 could use a little beef on the top two lines. Somewhere. Foote is probably that guy, but maybe not to start.

Not sure Boquist is ensconced in the top 9 yet.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Great pickup. He's a little smaller but definitely plays bigger than his size for sure. He's got a silky set of mitts and it a pretty great skater as well.

Reactions: glenwo2

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
And Gronborg has one year left too I think

Team Finlands coach Jukka Jalonen is better than Grönborg but I think that both of them would be really good in NHL. Jalonen have won two WC and he won also 2016 u20 WJC. 2019 When Finland won team Canada in the final they had every player from Europe except 2 or 3 AHL players but zero NHL players and every Canada player was from NHL. They won also in quarter final Grönborgs Sweden which was full of NHL players and in semi final team Russia with almost all Russian superstars.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Good luck to Joey Anderson.....tough player...this was s good trade for the NJDEVILS as long as he is healthy....Can't argue this move.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Oh, my goodness. Read the last part of this article from 12 days ago. This guy is a prophet. Even mentions Joey Anderson in the article.

Is Andreas Johnsson about to follow Kasperi Kapanen out the door?

He said this which looks like he thinks the Devils got a great deal today.

“But would a team like the Devils see Johnsson as more valuable than the Leafs do, and therefore consider paying with the 20th overall and a prospect of some worth?”

So instead of 20th overall and a prospect of some worth, it was just the prospect.

A Devils Fan

Nov 17, 2019
Gonna miss Anderson and I thought he was really setup well to fit into this team: he's a RW/righty, cost-controlled for a long time, really responsible "plays the right way" kinda guy, and os closer in age to our young core.

All that being said, his ceiling is pretty much what Johnsson already is, so it's hard to say this isn't a smart trade. But I do think there's a non-zero chance Anderson is as good or better than Johnsson as early as this coming season.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He said this which looks like he thinks the Devils got a great deal today.

“But would a team like the Devils see Johnsson as more valuable than the Leafs do, and therefore consider paying with the 20th overall and a prospect of some worth?”

So instead of 20th overall and a prospect of some worth, it was just the prospect.

He said he wanted Zaitsev??!! Or I guess that was just a joke.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He's also one of the few guys we have that can be a legit net presence on the PP. That is not a role for nico

There's no reason it can't be Nico. People need to stop looking at net front presences as solely the old school big body guys. Nylander a player who is seen by traditional hockey people as a soft perimeter player had the most net front goals in the league last year.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Hey Devils fans! What can Leafs fans except of Joey Anderson?
I remember liking him back at the WJR's but has he progressed well?
Any chance he can push for a bottom 6 role sooner rather than later?

take care of Mango.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad