Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think you missed the point of my post again. What I said was a team in the cap era cannot carry more than 4-5 9% of cap players and field a competitive team. Is there a team that carries more than 4-5 9% of cap players that win? Why would you be discussing players like Graves - he will never be a 9% of cap player.

I never missed your point, but you seem to be missing mine.

I was just throwing out hypotheticals. Whomever those players will be when the time comes. You can't decide not to entertain player options for the team, like Quinn Hughes or whoever, because you are reserving spots for other guys who haven't got there yet. Rosters are rearranged annually and at some point the Devils will have to make decisions on who they can keep when push comes to shove. Who gets those 9% cap salaries, or whatever % it happens to be at that time, happens when it happens.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
That would incredible...But honestly if he only duplicates the production (or is even close) over a full a season I would be happy.
Yes , what was his projected goal total over 82? It was close to 30 was it not? 25g would be very good to get out of him . If he maintains his production over an entire season and plays with Jack I can see him come close to those numbers. With young players you have to be concerned about them hitting a wall and slowing down but he played a lot of hockey last season in the KHL NHL and Olympic qualifiers so maybe he can keep his momentum going.

Reactions: JimEIV

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That would incredible...But honestly if he only duplicates the production (or is even close) over a full a season I would be happy.

Give me either similar production with improved defensive impact or somewhat increased production.

Reactions: JimEIV

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I want Mercer as a center. But I think in their primes Hughes, Hischier, and Mercer could lead the forwards in ice time even though they all play center. Hughes line will naturally get more ice time as ES, while Hischier and Mercer will make up for that because they'll be on both special teams while Hughes is only on the PP.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
So
I never missed your point, but you seem to be missing mine.

I was just throwing out hypotheticals. Whomever those players will be when the time comes. You can't decide not to entertain player options for the team, like Quinn Hughes or whoever, because you are reserving spots for other guys who haven't got there yet. Rosters are rearranged annually and at some point the Devils will have to make decisions on who they can keep when push comes to shove. Who gets those 9% cap salaries, or whatever % it happens to be at that time, happens when it happens.
So you were babbling on about something I was not discussing? :huh:

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Definitely. He played on a 24 goal and 45 point pace over 82 games last year. I'll take that, but with his speed, hands, and shot I think he can hit higher numbers in his career.
Also he will be playing with better/improving players moving forward. Good teams tend to have some draft surprises - he could be a key one.

Reactions: My3Sons and Blender

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Watching college age dudes with no life skills attempt to be adults is top quality content

I think I was watching an ESPN game circa 2000-2001 in my college apartment and they were doing a segment on Jason Arnott. Arnott mentioned that he had gotten out of shape in Edmonton partly due to having no idea how to cook for himself and was eating too much fast food. When he was living with Scott Stevens, he had gotten back to a better diet so that was helping with his career turnaround.

As I was watching that, I was probably eating instant ramen for the third time that week for dinner. I thought to myself "I can relate to that."

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I listening to local sports talk radio (Sportsnet Calgary) and wow would it be boring as hell to be a Flames fan.
Suter has his roster camps already split into different "teams" already and has his starting lineup of 20-22 guys in the main group everyone else in other camps.
I get wanting to get an early start but that would suck for any prospects that there is no way in hell you are playing or even getting a shot with the big boys.

Reactions: My3Sons

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Yeah I think Ywgor was on pace for around 25 last season, so just to replicate that would be a massive success.
If he plays on with Hughes all year I see him putting over 30. The biggest thing for players are chemistry and Govy & Hughes got it. I don't even Holtz is gonna end up Hughes long term winger like we all expected.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I listening to local sports talk radio (Sportsnet Calgary) and wow would it be boring as hell to be a Flames fan.
Suter has his roster camps already split into different "teams" already and has his starting lineup of 20-22 guys in the main group everyone else in other camps.
I get wanting to get an early start but that would suck for any prospects that there is no way in hell you are playing or even getting a shot with the big boys.
Imagine how boring it is being a TBL fan. They do not add big name players in the off season and you know who basically all of your starters are before camp starts.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
At least I did not get 5 paragraphs abut about teams churning the middle and bottom of their rosters this time:thumbu:
You can just not read his posts then, which I like.

edit: and to add, if the debate is about how many very expensive defensemen can team have, the answer is very very few. And defenseman are generally poorer value, your better off spending money on elite forwards.

Now Quinn Hughes has a lot offense, though he’s a bit of a work in progress and his sophomore slump was worsened by his crap team, so his value is high. But we invested Hamilton for 7 years. Luke Hughes would be here. And good teams don’t spend a ton on defense and it’s suicide to do it (see Sharks, San Jose). And Quinn is an offensive defenseman and they get paid by the point. It’s not odd for someone to wonder how this fits under the cap and those guys fit in a line-up.

I personally don’t give a crap, it’s a goofy fantasy right now. On the other hand, I also agree that there are great players who if you can get, you should probably get them and then figure out how to make it work. That’s not always feasible or wise though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad