Devils 2021 training camp thread (news, notes and speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Nope that is reserved for 21 points in 61 games from a #1overall...That is a pure disgrace. Makes want to puke just typing it.

Well it's not solely reserved for that as you also called this season one and said there was no improvement.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You're underrating how important 3rd line centers are. Mercer as one of the best 3Cs is more valuable than being a good to really good top 6 wing.
100% false this team needs legit top line talent not bottom 6. I’m not up to date with the prospects in our system like others but I’m assuming Mercer is probably 1 or 2 in the pipeline? So for a team in our position If he only pans out as 3rd line material then that’s not good for the devils. I’m not saying it’s not an important position or need but this team needs top talent.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well it's not solely reserved for that as you also called this season one and said there was no improvement.
No improvement? I don't think I said that... irrelevant improvement...going from shit 28 point pace to whatever 45 point paces is clearly improvement but it is also irrelevant... it's like celebrating poop in diaper is what I think I said.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
100% false this team needs legit top line talent not bottom 6. I’m not up to date with the prospects in our system like others but I’m assuming Mercer is probably 1 or 2 in the pipeline? So for a team in our position If he only pans out as 3rd line material then that’s not good for the devils. I’m not saying it’s not an important position or need but this team needs top talent.
He could easily be on the number 1 PP and PK while centering a third line and play 18+ minutes a night down the road. He’d be much more valuable driving his own line while Jack and Nico do their thing. Who knows if he’ll be capable of that, but that would be the best outcome to me.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
He could easily be on the number 1 PP and PK while centering a third line and play 18+ minutes a night down the road. He’d be much more valuable driving his own line while Jack and Nico do their thing. Who knows if he’ll be capable of that, but that would be the best outcome to me.
The problem is your just assuming Jack will do his thing with anyone when it's already been proven false. We have tried this. He needs highly skilled forwards who have the ability to keep up with him. Hughes wingers can be the difference between him being a 55 point player or a 90 point player. To me getting Hughes his line mates is far more important then a 3c which we can easily acquire. We're gonna have a plethora of nhl quality dmen/forward prospects that we just won't have room for on the big club. These can be traded for that 3c. We have a really good prospect pipeline.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
But… but… ToP SiX!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The problem is your just assuming Jack will do his thing with anyone when it's already been proven false. We have tried this. He needs highly skilled forwards who have the ability to keep up with him. Hughes wingers can be the difference between him being a 55 point player or a 90 point player. To me getting Hughes his line mates is far more important then a 3c which we can easily acquire. We're gonna have a plethora of nhl quality dmen/forward prospects that we just won't have room for on the big club. These can be traded for that 3c. We have a really good prospect pipeline.

lol Yes it's been proven false because an 18 and 19 year old Hughes couldn't be a star. It's also not like Mercer is the only guy who could be on his wing. Holtz exists and could be his RW. He and Sharangovich fit well in their time together and if he continues to progress he could be that guy

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
With the temporarily closing of the Around the League Thread we clearly have no choice but to discuss pizza, music, infectious diseases, cars, movie, and perspiring Golden retrievers in this one. I mean who do they think they are kidding with the thread closing. Our inane, pointless, and meandering ramblings are critical to how the Devils’ season will play out and no one and I mean no one is more inane, pointless, and meandering than me. You can all thank me when NJ has a great camp.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

shhhhh your making too much sense

hf board is obsessed with 3rd line talent

Reactions: McDuffz88

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
You're underrating how important 3rd line centers are. Mercer as one of the best 3Cs is more valuable than being a good to really good top 6 wing.

Absolutely not. I’ll take a top #6 winger who can click with our best centers over a 3rd line center who’ll get pigeonholed into a defensive role any day of the week. Heck, we don’t even have a 3rd line center as we speak and management is even contemplating using Zacha, so it just goes to show you what they really think about filling that gap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puckclektr

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
But… but… ToP SiX!

It has nothing to do with top #6 or bottom #6 and everything to do with trying to find the best match for Jack or Nico. Acting as if Jack’s or Nico’s current wingers are locks to play with them for the next couple of years is foolish because let’s be honest here, they’re good but we can do a lot better as well.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Absolutely not. I’ll take a top #6 winger who can click with our best centers over a 3rd line center who’ll get pigeonholed into a defensive role any day of the week. Heck, we don’t even have a 3rd line center as we speak and management is even contemplating using Zacha, so it just goes to show you what they really think about filling that gap.

Totally agree this team is filled with bottom 6 material. if you don't like anyone on this team you could go out and get someone to fill the 3c as a stop gap or as a long term solution the league is filled with them. what isn't out there? top line talent thats why its important your first and second prospect pan out or exceed the potential otherwise your going to be paying a hefty price for that talent through trade or ufa

so yeah to me if the best mercer can do on this team with this current lineup is only make it as a third line talent that isn't good for the devils. now that will sound complicated to most on here so let me clarify. no that doesn't mean hes a bust no that doesn't mean i'm expecting him to exceed that level this year or next year. that also doesn't mean i don't think highly of the role of the third line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad