Devils 2021 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Consider there is ample evidence out there that's clear on the link between previous injury and future injury, count me out on your entire post.

He misses games every year. A lot of them. And until he can prove that he can handle the rigors of a regular season, I see no issue with the label.

The Simone Bilesing around what injury prone means around here is so much yikes. Nico, at this point, is textbook injury prone.

Great - how about providing that evidence instead of just waving your hands and repeating yourself? I agree there is evidence that previous injury leads to future injury, but this is true of some things more than others. I doubt Nico breaks his face again.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
10+ games in 3 straight years aren't just a freak puck to the face. The fact that this actually needs to be explained to some of you is embarrassing.

If any first overall pick on the Rangers missed 10+ games 3 straight years and 3/4 years he was a pro, we'd be calling them, ya know, injury prone.

All games missed this year were due to freak injuries. Period. However you do have a valid point concerning the previous 2 seasons. I just dont think this season particularly cements any injury prone label, but yeah, I'll concede that the previous 2 seasons set a mildly worrisome trend.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Literally zero concern. None whatsoever. How do you guys get any sleep at night?

What?

Nico has had several injuries, freak or not, that could have an effect on his long term career.

What are you even talking about? I worry about my kids and paying my mortgage at night lol, not hockey...

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
Yeah...all games he missed this year were from freak injuries.

All games missed this year were due to freak injuries. Period. However you do have a valid point concerning the previous 2 seasons. I just dont think this season particularly cements any injury prone label, but yeah, I'll concede that the previous 2 seasons set a mildly worrisome trend.

I think this should be, at the very least, everyone's opinion. And I wouldn't even argue against your last sentence. I think that's a fairly measured take.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
If a legit goal scorer can get the best out of our young franchise forward and help our main issue, scoring goals, why wouldn’t you want that.

I would rather have a scoring heavy line and a good, not great, 2nd line over two lines that are not producing with great/good centers and garbage wingers.
I’d rather find better wingers for jack and Nico without giving up jack or Nico. When healthy, Zacha Nico and bratt is a solid line. Then we have jack with nothing. We just drafted two wingers in holtz and mercer and maybe they will be ready soon or maybe not.

Maybe we can get laine if he wants out of Columbus without giving up jack or Nico. Maybe we could trade Palmieri for Tatar and see if he would be a better fit as a stop gap while we wait for holtz and mercer and Foote.

We tried getting johnsson and that hasn’t worked out as we hoped. Id like to see sharangovich back with jack and a different winger than Palmieri like I said maybe Tatar would be a fit and both are pending ufas. I’d also like to see johnsson with zajac and Gusev or kuokanen on the third line.

Zacha Nico bratt
Sharangovich Hughes Tatar
Johnsson zajac gusev/kuokanen
Wood McLeod bastian

looks OK to me then we have maltsev and merkley for injuries or healthy scratches. This season sucks as we’ve only had a full healthy lineup for a couple games Nico being healthy would help our team out so much

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah...all games he missed this year were from freak injuries.

lol you guys are all re-defining 'injury prone' to fit your narrative. my cousin was injury prone as a kid, he broke a limb every year it seemed. he was injury prone. they don't have to be connected and predictive, i don't know why that's such a hard concept to understand.

but if it helps, you can call nico 'freak-injury prone' instead of injury prone.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
More than one thing can be true, sure most of what’s kept Nico out of the lineup this year wasn’t exactly his fault but it’s not like this is the only year he’s missed games. His GP total has gone down every year from 82 to 69 to 58 to 5 and that wasn’t all from Subban shots.

The timing of his injuries are even more frustrating, last year he was playing great then gets hurt and is never the same, and this year he gets hurt just as he’s finding his game again.
TBF 58 out of 69 games is basically the same as 69 out of 82 games.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
This board is super close to a civil war over two things that can be true at the same time. It's wild.

It can be true but it really isn't.

Injury-prone has always referred to chronic-injuries, not freak accidents like getting the puck in the face and breaking your sinus-whatever.

But apparently we got a bunch of Chicken Littles shouting that the sky is falling and their opinion is fact so what can you do? :eyeroll:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
It’s not really about holding anyone accountable. I just care a lot more about how are young guys do. Our team isn’t good enough right now but if we’re gonna be good In 3-4 years our young guys like Hughes need to turn out. I could care less if Zajac or Palmieri play well, we’re not a playoff team and they’re not good enough to make us one.
We do care how the vets because it has a trickle down effect with the kids, if Palmieri is playing well and scoring goals from the get go while playing with Jack, guess who else is looking better? That is right - Jack! His point totals are better and probably his confidence. It's all related.

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
It can be true but it really isn't.

Injury-prone has always referred to chronic-injuries, not freak accidents like getting the puck in the face and breaking your sinus-whatever.

But apparently we got a bunch of Chicken Littles shouting that the sky is falling and their opinion is fact so what can you do? :eyeroll:

That is so reductionist to the point of just being idiotic.

That has not what injury prone has "always referred to."

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This board is super close to a civil war over two things that can be true at the same time. It's wild.

And a semantical argument over what ‘injury prone’ means. I don’t know what arbitrary number of games you have to miss over multiple seasons before you get described as injury prone and I don’t care. But it’s foolish to completely dismiss multiple seasons of missed games as just one awry deflected slap shot and COVID right after a training injury.

Reactions: Derps

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He's been in the league 4 years and he's missed more than 10 games in 3 of them. The fact that some people here dont even think the injury prone label is worth a discussion is absolutely absurd.

Didn't he get cut by a skate blade last season? Nothing for this season makes him injury prone as I see it. To me, injury prone is someone who gets hurt in the ordinary sequence of events playing. Somebody breaking your leg falling on it and then getting a puck to the face don't qualify as that for me. Neither would covid if he had it when he was on the list. I do recall he's had some injuries that suggested maybe pulled or torn something on his side and that's the sort of injury that an injury prone player gets. Just my thoughts. I do think he's been a bit on the lighter side for his style of play and he will still have to get stronger as he matures. Hopefully his back luck will come to an end once he returns.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Yeah, I mean I think the reality of the situation is Nico is no iron man, but he’s not injury prone in the traditional sense either. He’s had some bad luck recently, but he also might just be the kind of player that misses 5 games a season or so. It is what it is. Not the end of the world and seems more or less par for the course. Not every player plays 82 games year after year, especially when they’re targeted night every night by the opposing team.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Yeah, I mean I think the reality of the situation is Nico is no iron man, but he’s not injury prone in the traditional sense either. He’s had some bad luck recently, but he also might just be the kind of player that misses 5 games a season or so. It is what it is. Not the end of the world and seems more or less par for the course. Not every player plays 82 games year after year, especially when they’re targeted night every night by the opposing team.

Then let's call it like it really is : Nico just has bad luck. (He's not injury-prone)

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I’d rather find better wingers for jack and Nico without giving up jack or Nico. When healthy, Zacha Nico and bratt is a solid line. Then we have jack with nothing. We just drafted two wingers in holtz and mercer and maybe they will be ready soon or maybe not.

Maybe we can get laine if he wants out of Columbus without giving up jack or Nico. Maybe we could trade Palmieri for Tatar and see if he would be a better fit as a stop gap while we wait for holtz and mercer and Foote.

We tried getting johnsson and that hasn’t worked out as we hoped. Id like to see sharangovich back with jack and a different winger than Palmieri like I said maybe Tatar would be a fit and both are pending ufas. I’d also like to see johnsson with zajac and Gusev on the third line.

Zacha Nico bratt
Sharangovich Hughes Tatar
Johnsson zajac gusev
Wood McLeod bastian

looks OK to me then we have maltsev and merkley for injuries or healthy scratches. This season sucks as we’ve only had a full healthy lineup for a couple games Nico being healthy would help our team out so much

You’re absolutely right, I’d rather add to Nico and Jack but that’ll be harder said then done. I am a firm believer that our losing ways in the past decade isn’t a good environment for our current players and our future players. Outside of Zajac, I don’t even know if anyone on our roster was apart of a winning team. True, we made the playoffs by the skin of our teeth in Nico’s rookie year but we were smoked out of the water by the Bolts. Outside of that ass kicking, we’ve been mediocre each and every year in the past decade.

Something has to change and it can’t continue like this for another 2, 3 or 5 years. We have to start climbing the standings or else this loser mentality will be "accepted" and that’s not something you want as an organization. That’s why I wouldn’t mind gambling a future like Nico or Hughes for a proven asset that is still very young like Eichel or Laine. Moving Hughes for Patrick Kane wouldn’t be a wise move because Kane is past his prime whereas both players listed above aren’t even in their prime just yet.

Building a winning culture just doesn’t happen via the draft. Its a mix of everything and with all the cap space coming off our books this summer, I think it’s time to pull a move like this and we have the assets to do so.

Reactions: BostonDevil

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
Bottom line is that when the season starts next year, you'd be a fool to expect him to play ~82 games. Maybe he will, maybe he wont. But the evidence presented so far is that he wont.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
That is so reductionist to the point of just being idiotic.

That has not what injury prone has "always referred to."

Taylor Hall regularly missed games in his first 8-9 years in the league, but as far as I can recall they weren't recurring injuries...so, even though he routinely missed games due to some injury or another, he wasn't injury prone until the knee surgery in 2019 because that can maybe cause issues in the future, or something.

Reactions: Derps

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
10+ games in 3 straight years aren't just a freak puck to the face. The fact that this actually needs to be explained to some of you is embarrassing.

If any first overall pick on the Rangers missed 10+ games 3 straight years and 3/4 years he was a pro, we'd be calling them, ya know, injury prone.

I agree that some people here fall in love with our prospects and it's quite obvious.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Consider there is ample evidence out there that's clear on the link between previous injury and future injury, count me out on your entire post.

He misses games every year. A lot of them. And until he can prove that he can handle the rigors of a regular season, I see no issue with the label.

The Simone Bilesing around what injury prone means around here is so much yikes. Nico, at this point, is textbook injury prone.

My guess is that any link requires knowing what injuries you are dealing with. I'm not sure the vague designations the league uses are really helpful in that regard. Of course, certain things are obvious, like degenerative injuries don't really get better so much as they may not get worse but are likely to recur. Without knowing what Nico has suffered it's hard to say what he may be prone to. That said, it's an issue.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad