Devils 2021-22 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I dont like idea to trade anyone for picks, unless first rounds. It`s better to trade for prospects. Atleast they are closer to NHL.
Or trade for picks with plan to trade picks as a part of big trade for much better player.

Here is the thing a prospect being traded for a rental…they are likely a prospect that is going to bust. Teams know their players better than other teams and they probably know better who is more likely to make it than not.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
There are to many examples against this.

How many from recent years? How many for pure rentals? How many for the level of rentals we have?

We traded Hall as a top level rental in 2019-20 and so far the only impactful piece back was the pick (Mercer). Maybe you can argue Merkley as he was part of the Graves trade, but That’s a stretch.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
How many from recent years? How many for pure rentals? How many for the level of rentals we have?

We traded Hall as a top level rental in 2019-20 and so far the only impactful piece back was the pick (Mercer). Maybe you can argue Merkley as he was part of the Graves trade, but That’s a stretch.
Merkley is a part for Jaros as i remember.

I can check tommorow more, but the first one what come to mind is Kuokkanen.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Merkley is a part for Jaros as i remember.

I can check tommorow more, but the first one what come to mind is Kuokkanen.

And Kouk is a net negative player this year and probably won’t be on the team next year.

If you got a type guy the team in question can sign long term you can good prospect. Otherwise take the lottery ticket.

Reactions: SpitfireG

Dylan9z9

LGD 2024-25
May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
I wasn't a fan of the Ruff hiring, but it's not as simple as "throw money at the best coach available and he'll always sign" either. I can't imagine we were very high on many coaches lists, so who knows if we even could have hired one of the "so many better options" that were supposedly available.

Also, if the owners were cheap I'm pretty sure Dougie Hamilton would not be a Devil.
All that being said The Devils are usually near the cap floor ... probably had to get Dougie Hamilton to keep from falling below it. :laugh:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
And Kouk is a net negative player this year and probably won’t be on the team next year.

If you got a type guy the team in question can sign long term you can good prospect. Otherwise take the lottery ticket.
Who will replace him? If he will not be with the team - if only we will trade him for a better player.
So your rule doesn`t work. It`s a second year slump. Nothing more. You cant judge him by his sloopy 2nd season 35 games.
And it was a good trade. Easy yes any day any time than another 3-4 round picks.

We got two pp because of him today btw. You are using bad argument.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Hockey culture is toxic.

Bunch of entitled rich brats who are being protected by powerful organisations.
I'm just learning about this situation now and you're not wrong.

But high school football culture in the South, Midwest, and anywhere else where it is intrinsic to the towns identity are just as bad if not worse.

See: Wall Township, NJ.

Former NHLer Reid Boucher pleads guilty to lesser charge in sexual assault case

"The survivor, now 23, says she has dealt with severe trauma, self-harm and substance abuse issues since the incident and is “disgusted” by the judge’s reasoning, according to the Detroit Free Press.
“I feel like a lot of the progress I’ve made over the last 10 years — that’s been undone,” she said."

This makes me sick. And yeah, I'm aware he was a 'kid' too, but we're talking about a 12 y/o here.

This motherf***er needs to do time

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Here is the thing a prospect being traded for a rental…they are likely a prospect that is going to bust. Teams know their players better than other teams and they probably know better who is more likely to make it than not.

It depends on the quality of the player. Claude Giroux will return a high end prospect. Andy Greene will return the guys which are likely to bust.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It depends on the quality of the player. Claude Giroux will return a high end prospect. Andy Greene will return the guys which are likely to bust.

Giroux is not going to command a high level prospect at the deadline. I would bet any prospect that is in a deal for him won’t amount to much. That is if a prospect is even involved. They will probably just get a first for him.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Mercer is a pretty big piece, and we also have Bahl to show for that trade as well. Maltsev was in the Graves deal, Merkley (aka Booger) went to SJ for Jaros. Additionally, we also got a 3rd round pick from Arizona in that deal that Fitz turned in to Jonas Siegenthaler. I would say that Siegenthaler has made quite an impact on this team this year.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Mercer is a pretty big piece, and we also have Bahl to show for that trade as well. Maltsev was in the Graves deal, Merkley (aka Booger) went to SJ for Jaros. Additionally, we also got a 3rd round pick from Arizona in that deal that Fitz turned in to Jonas Siegenthaler. I would say that Siegenthaler has made quite an impact on this team this year.

This is the point that @jkrdevil was making. The picks ended up turning into the most value in return for Hall. 1st (Mercer) and 3rd (Siegs). Vs Bahl, Merkley, Schnarr. The Hall trade was known as a pu pu platter at the time, so it's not entirely fair, but it's still true.

I would love to find a prospect that could blossom into a star here. But, in the cap world, it's more likely to find Siegs or Palms available for futures than someone will trade Iginla for Nieuwendyk again.

Reactions: jkrdevil

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
This is the point that @jkrdevil was making. The picks ended up turning into the most value in return for Hall. 1st (Mercer) and 3rd (Siegs). Vs Bahl, Merkley, Schnarr. The Hall trade was known as a pu pu platter at the time, so it's not entirely fair, but it's still true.

I would love to find a prospect that could blossom into a star here. But, in the cap world, it's more likely to find Siegs or Palms available for futures than someone will trade Iginla for Nieuwendyk again.
No he wasn't, he said "so far the only impactful piece back was the pick (Mercer).", so what does that make Siegenthaler? He's not impactful. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad