Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Sharangovich is not exempt, he's a 3rd year North American pro. The Devils would just have to tender Cormier (NOT Comrie, Cormier) an RFA tender to fulfill the goalie requirement.

I have no idea why people want to lose Subban in expansion, the guy is playing huge minutes for the Devils right now, a team which is presently using Matt Tennyson as its 3rd pair D. Butcher is the obvious guy to go there.

But yeah, at forward there's not a ton of obvious options and I think it's quite unlikely either Kuokkanen or Bastian fulfills that requirement.
ALL 5 of our goalies could fulfill the goalie requirement There are no # of NHL Games Played requirements for goalies. Only Skaters.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
ALL 5 of our goalies could fulfill the goalie requirement There are no # of NHL Games Played requirements for goalies. Only Skaters.

The Devils have to expose at least one goalie who is either under contract for 2021-22 or will be an RFA. Right now the only goalies in the organization that would apply to is Blackwood and Cormier - Senn is only a second-year NA pro so he is ineligible.

Reactions: Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s hard to say how things will develop once Bratt returns but I agree with those suggesting he at least start with Zacha and Goose. They are both scuffling and if he can get them going that’s a big deal. I’d probably have rotating auditions for RW with Wood and Zajac but I’d give Boquist the opportunity if he continues to at least continue his smart fundamental play and shows some offensive development. I expect Kuokkanen is the first odd man out but he will get some additional chances as other guys get hurt or their play falters.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and glenwo2

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
its gotta follow the flow, the first few letters of the last name like:
Palms
Langs
Neids
Dano
Kovi
Cangi
Gio
Sykie
Wyno
Clemmer
Gomer
Shar.....go????

Last edited:

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
They both suck.

This is one of the few times where the players habit of just adding "-y" or "-es" to part of a player's name is actually better than the fan's alternative.
In no way, shape or form is Shary better than Rango. No chance. When he hit the game winner, and I ran around my house screaming RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I didn't sound like I was involved in a more...fun...activity like I would've if I was yelling Shary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Reactions: lacerated

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It’s hard to say how things will develop once Bratt returns but I agree with those suggesting he at least start with Zacha and Goose. They are both scuffling and if he can get them going that’s a big deal. I’d probably have rotating auditions for RW with Wood and Zajac but I’d give Boquist the opportunity if he continues to at least continue his smart fundamental play and shows some offensive development. I expect Kuokkanen is the first odd man out but he will get some additional chances as other guys get hurt or their play falters.

Put him with Zacha - Gusev and move Johnsson down to the fourth line. Johnsson might earn himself a benching if he doesn’t show something too:

Sharangovich - Hughes - Palmieri
Bratt - Zacha - Gusev
Wood - Zajac - Boqvist
Johnsson - McLeod - Bastian

Granted around the league it seems like you have no idea what happens regarding covid protocol. So the lineup is likely going to change abruptly multiple times this year.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
They both suck.

This is one of the few times where the players habit of just adding "-y" or "-es" to part of a player's name is actually better than the fan's alternative.
So Sharangovichy or Sharangoviches...

I actually kinda did the latter. Like "Let's go, Sharangoviches" or they're being a bunch of Sharangoviches.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think as a first/second year player: Sharangovish is exempt, and doesn't need to be protected, right?
Palms is a UFA and unless we extend him, there's not point in protecting him.

I see what you mean - all of our kids are 24-7 games away. Capfriendly's tool is pretty cool for this. We don't seem to have any problems about protecting anyone - most of the important guys are exempt; and: 7F: Nico, Bratt, Wood, Zacha, Johnsson, X, X, 3D: Severson, Butcher, Murray (if extended?) 1G: Blackwood leaves us 3 forward slots to protect - all others being exempt unless, as you say, the kids make games or we extend Palms, Goose or Zajac to not let them go UFA (but would we? I think they all want to go UFA anyway).

I think it is a no brainer that Subban fulfills our D requirement. We could resign Dell to a 1-year and have him fulfill our goalie requirement, but the 2Fs are tough to figure.

I think what we *could* do, depending on how the season goes - is take on a cap dump albatross or two with the hopes that they are claimed, since we don't have immediate cap issues - and maybe have some guy who could help but we wouldn't care about losing. James Neal, Mats Zuccarello, Parise, Okposo, Pavelski, Dustin Brown, Kessel, Panik? Guys with outsized contracts like Oshie and Jordan Staal or M Backlund or Hornqvist probably are still too valuable to be dumped - but if a team is looking for some cap relief?

I think it is likely a done deal, however, that at least two or three of:
Bastian, Merkely, McLeod, Kuokkanen
are going to hit the games played and need to be protected, or will meet requirements.

Sharangovich needs to be protected as this is his 3rd year pro. Also, the kids aren't exempt from the expansion draft if they don't hit the games requirement - they can still be selected, but they just wouldn't count towards the requirement that 2 forwards with the minimum games played threshold be exposed. We'd need to find other players to meet that requirement, which could theoretically cause a team to have to expose a player they would have otherwise protected.

No need to resign Dell as Cormier already meets the goalie exposure requirement.

Taking on a cap dump is probably not a good idea unless there is a major sweetener to go along with it.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Just say no to ...Rango
3pxm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad