Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
BuT hIs PoInTs PeR gAmE hAsN't ImPrOvEd.

I want to cite back to this article from the summer with Nico where he gives great quotes about his game and how some put too much stock into points. I think it shows a lot of character in how he views he has to play to be successful and that he's determined to be better. This is for the crowd that doesn't think Nico has improved of course.

Why Devils’ Nico Hischier doesn’t want to be judged by points

i love nico, he’s very eliasy (new adjective, trademarked) in terms of intelligence. i like that he’s tempering expectations, but the expectation is that a 1OA 1C should be putting up a minimum of 65 points, which i think he’ll do in a full season. i think what he’s trying to say is spot on- if you do the little things right, the points will come

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
i love nico, he’s very eliasy (new adjective, trademarked) in terms of intelligence. i like that he’s tempering expectations, but the expectation is that a 1OA 1C should be putting up a minimum of 65 points, which i think he’ll do in a full season. i think what he’s trying to say is spot on- if you do the little things right, the points will come

I respect that and think you're right in terms of him having a similar mindset to Patty.

For the crowd that is looking for him to get there, between when Hall was removed from the lineup/traded and up to his knee injury on February 1st, he was playing at a .76 PPG pace which is around 62 points per 82 games. I think he played through that knee pain when he came back and thus, his play appeared to suffer a bit once he returned.

I certainly think he showed he can be more productive on his own line and I'm intrigued to see who he ends up being paired with next year. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to slot him between Bratt and Goose and see even more production from them compared to when they had Zacha in the middle at the end of last season.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The problem with Nico's chart there is that the best thing on it is penalty-drawing, which is absolutely a skill, but because NHL referees are determined to call even games, most of those will be canceled out by penalties taken by his own team. If referees actually called the rulebook instead of determining what a penalty is based on the score and how many penalties they called on the other team this would be a lot more valuable.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nico is good and his development is going fine, but he does need to score more. That’s just the way it is. If you subtract every good player over 25 he won’t be doing that, though. That is also the way it is.

Reactions: mdj12784

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The problem with Nico's chart there is that the best thing on it is penalty-drawing, which is absolutely a skill, but because NHL referees are determined to call even games, most of those will be canceled out by penalties taken by his own team. If referees actually called the rulebook instead of determining what a penalty is based on the score and how many penalties they called on the other team this would be a lot more valuable.

Also in the playoffs refs swallow their whistles.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

It’s important to remember he was still on his ELC last year so he was bargain, this is the first year Nico’s value has to step up to match, and ideally eclipse, his 7.25m cap hit.

I think a lot of these younger players are going to play like they were shot out of a cannon due to the long lay off, they must be being to dying to get back to playing. Nico hasn’t played had a chance to play a whole lot of NHL hockey (I know I set up a joke about our team, but I’m being heartfelt you guys).

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Got a run down of the reverse retro's my buddy has seen so far ( hasn't seen ours yet )

Boston: White jersey with yellow logo
Chicago: White jersey with piping
NYI: Dark navy jersey with old logo
LA: Chevron logo, forum blue/yellow colors
Colorado: Quebec Nordiques with current Avs colors
Montreal: Navy instead of red, red instead of royal
Toronto: 1967 logo with 1980 colorsTor with the 1967 logo with the 1980 colors
NYR: Liberty logo (old third) with current colors
Anaheim: Wild Wing/Ducks with the duck breaking the ice logo
Minnesota: Minn with the North Stars colors
Vegas: Red star in front for logo
Calgary: Blasty/Horse face logo on black jersey
Carolina: Whalers logo on gray jersey
Washington: Screaming eagle/Screagle
Pittsburgh: Diagonal wordmark (white) w/current penguins shoulder patches

Reactions: Ripshot 43

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Devil fans what do you think it would take for The Devils to get Cernak? We could do an offer sheet or try trade first what do you think it would take to get him?

Does it take bad contract coming back if so which one? What prospect ? Player off roster?

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Did you post this in the wrong team forum? Seems like you're addressing Tampa fans.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
aghhhhh hate you.

I was thought it was a trade.
I'm just looking forward to it. Tampa has a problem with the cap. Seattle's draft, while Tampa's Sergachev, Chernak, Foote and McDonagh are under threat, Hedman is already with NMC. Theyc can lose someone for nothing. Trade Cernak to safe a cap is a logical move.
So I waited and waited and waited. and then the topic is CHRNAK. And this is just thinking. Nice.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Cernak + Killorn for Miles Wood and a pick or something

that would be my dream trade
Tampa would want Bahl instead of Wood. Actually, I see no spot for Wood on Tampa's roster. I just dont see however he fits on their team. He's overpaid to be a 4th liner on a capped team.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I almost feel like we should make this a general TB trade thread since Tampa will likely be dealing with one of a few teams (us, Detroit, Ottawa, etc.) to resolve their cap issues.
Looking at Tampa's roster, i think their biggest team need (apart from addressing the cap issues) is at right defense.

If they are going to trade a RFA, especially if it is one of Sergachev or Cernak, they are going to want a defenseman prospect in return. Preferrably one that is ready to step into NHL as soon as next season.

Promoting Cal Foote will help, but he would only be counted on to play 3rd pairing minutes. Luke Schenn is only good to be a 6th/7th defenseman.

I'm fine with trading Ty Smith in a multiple player deal for Sergachev. I wouldn't be fine with trading Smith for Cernak.

I think with the drafting of Mukhamadullin and with Okhotyk, Misyul and Bahl as highly rated D prospects, I would be fine with letting one of these defenseman go in a deal for Cernak.

We talk about weaponising our cap space to make a deal with Tampa. We probably need to do the same with our prospect depth too. If Tampa want a cheap young roster forward, then we could easily throw in one of McLeod, Merkley, Kuokkannen, Bastian, Boqvist. Even perhaps re-send them back Nolan Foote.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
I’ll give it a shot

NJ: Cernak+Johnson
TB: zetterlund+5th

NJ: Cernak+Killorn
TB: wood+3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad