Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Kulikov has never played a full season so I doubt this prevents them from making another move defensively

Although with Ty coming up that makes seven contracts on the books

Could a Detroit take Butcher if we ended up acquiring a Cernak? Idk maybe I am too harsh on Will

Last edited by a moderator:

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I like the Kulikov addition, he's a perfectly adequate 'replacement level' defenceman. He doesn't contribute much offensively, but he's decent defensively and brings some size and physicality too, at the very least he's a veteran NHL caliber LHD who isn't a complete liability, which is a huge upgrade over some of the dross we've trotted out recently.

By no means a 'wow' signing but a reliable piece that can take some pressure off youngsters like Smith to play a role they might not be ready for. Definitely never hurts to have more experience on the blue line especially at that cost, plus Kulikov is only 29 despite being around seemingly forever. At least he's not a fossil who skates like he's in quicksand or super one-dimensional or undersized. With how much of a dumpster fire our defence has been recently i'll take someone stable yet unremarkable every time.

Guessing our pairings will shake out something like this if there's no more additions:

Murray - Subban
Kulikov - Severson
Smith/Butcher - Carrick
Smith/Butcher

I don't think we'll see Smith playing every game to start, I could see him platooning with Butcher on the bottom pairing alongside Carrick while he gets his feet wet. Butcher - Smith could also be a pairing as both have some experience playing on their off-side, but that pairing might be a bit of a train wreck defensively especially since they're both on the smaller side. I'd personally put Murray with Subban since PK has a tendency to make aggressive plays in the offensive zone and take more risks than Severson does, hopefully Murray can help cover up some of his mistakes. Kulikov is basically a worse version of Murray, but I could definitely see him being a complementary partner for Damon.

Probably a bit early to project pairings since we could certainly see more moves being made, but definitely a fan of Fitz adding two defence first LHD in Murray & Kulikov.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The nice thing about adding players like Murray and Kulikov is that it sends a pretty big message to Subban, Butcher and Severson.

Reactions: My3Sons

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I feel like I've been saying this every year, but I feel like we might be underestimating how good the Devils can be next year. From January 1 and on, the Devils would have been at a 1.13 pts/game pace, good enough for the 1st WC spot in the East. From the Blake Coleman trade on, the Devils were 2nd in the Metro in pts/game with 1.33 and third in the east. Now, I am not saying the Devils are gonna finish in the top 3 in the Metro, but frankly, we showed a ton of improvement after we kicked Hall and Hynes out. Obviously, these standings could easily be chalked up to a hot stretch, but I think its fair to say that this team was starting to find its stride. Coupling this with a highly improved goaltending tandem, a major improvement in the coaching department that stylistically will benefit this team a lot, effective additions to the D in Murray, Kulikov, and likely Smith, and the addition of Johnsson on offense and the natural progression of our young forwards, I really think people are underestimating our potential for next year. I'm not saying we are necessarily going to be a playoff team, but we should be putting up a good fight.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I feel like I've been saying this every year, but I feel like we might be underestimating how good the Devils can be next year. From January 1 and on, the Devils would have been at a 1.13 pts/game pace, good enough for the 1st WC spot in the East. From the Blake Coleman trade on, the Devils were 2nd in the Metro in pts/game with 1.33 and third in the east. Now, I am not saying the Devils are gonna finish in the top 3 in the Metro, but frankly, we showed a ton of improvement after we kicked Hall and Hynes out. Obviously, these standings could easily be chalked up to a hot stretch, but I think its fair to say that this team was starting to find its stride. Coupling this with a highly improved goaltending tandem, a major improvement in the coaching department that stylistically will benefit this team a lot, effective additions to the D in Murray, Kulikov, and likely Smith, and the addition of Johnsson on offense and the natural progression of our young forwards, I really think people are underestimating our potential for next year. I'm not saying we are necessarily going to be a playoff team, but we should be putting up a good fight.

The team should aim for the playoffs. Blackburn's record in the regular season was playoff worthy if you extrapolate it to 82. He should be even better with proper rest that Crawford can provide, and the improved defense, and let's not even get into the difference in quality between Crawford and Schneider/Domingue/Senn.

That said, I can't see them going very far in the playoffs without any stud defenders at the top of the lineup. Those guys that play 22:00 in the regular season and 24:00 in the playoffs make such a huge difference.

Reactions: RememberTheName

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

You know what, I agree. And I think a lot of it has to do with getting Crawford. It can't be overstated just how terrible our goaltending was when Blackwood wasn't playing, and that terrible goaltending led to us having to play Blackwood way too much and he showed he wasn't able to keep up with that workload (I don't blame him to be honest). Having a competent back-up is huge, and I still think Blackwood can take a step forward this season too.

Murray's health is another big factor and maybe it's not good to hedge our bets on someone as injury prone as him. But I'm not talking about him playing a full season, I think it's a given he gets injured at some point. If he can give us ~60 games though, that'd go a real long way since when he's healthy I think he's a top pair defenseman and exactly what this team needed. The one thing I do expect is some of our younger forwards take a step forward offensively with Ruff at the helm. I don't know if he's a coach you win a cup with but I think he's a good fit for where this team is at right now and the current roster that we have. He might be able to get a lot more out of Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Gusev, Zacha, etc. then Hynes or Nas ever could.

All this to say, playoffs are still a dream IMO. There are a lot of really strong teams in our division it might be tough to keep up. I think we'll be better than some think though and at least somewhat competitive for the duration of the season rather than folding a month or two in.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The team should aim for the playoffs. Blackburn's record in the regular season was playoff worthy if you extrapolate it to 82. He should be even better with proper rest that Crawford can provide, and the improved defense, and let's not even get into the difference in quality between Crawford and Schneider/Domingue/Senn.

That said, I can't see them going very far in the playoffs without any stud defenders at the top of the lineup. Those guys that play 22:00 in the regular season and 24:00 in the playoffs make such a huge difference.

???

20201022_204040.jpg

:P

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There's not going to be an 82 game season. Whatever season there will be will be compressed. They will need more than 6 D to get through the season.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Well, we have two years with left with Subban and Crawford's hits. If next season he wants to come back on a cheap one year and no one emerges as a solid defensive 3/4c who can take his spot on the PK while also finding more to add to it. It would be silly not to take him back for a year. Beyond that, it would be silly to commit.
if the devils still are collecting assets, zajac salary slot could be used for a one year cap dump like eriksson.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Agree the trade is centered on Cernak though not Killorn without Cernak I wouldn't want either AK or TJ....Just think if it was to happen I'd take Killorn for the reasons you state he fits our team better with 2 yrs less of term and brings more all around to game to deal at as a deadline deal unless were competing for a spot as playoff spot as well.
killorn and a pick for a lesser pick i would do. killorn for future consideration i might do. killorn for an asset, is 'talk to you later, bb'.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I would switch Nico and Thomas for this very reason, Thomas plays against nobody.

Honestly this ranking is worth it because there’s five more players (three more centers!) before Nick Suzuki finally appears so Hab fans must be rioting over that gross injustice. They never shut up about him.
after kotka regressed, they need to talk up another prospect as their future 1c.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Avs and hockey fan in general and I would like to know what is the Devils fans opinion on Zacha ? Do you still believe in him (still23) or do you want to trade him ?
his trade bait, if you send makar or byram the other way. :sarcasm:

new jersey has no urgent need to move on from zacha. the prospect pipeline at center isn't all that good. mcleod is the much worse player and zajac's time will end soon. zacha is currently the best option to be the devils future 3c behind hughes and nico. his contract is no issue and there is no cap crunch in sight. even if makar or byram are clear overpayments, there is no need for the devils to send out zacha for a or multiple lesser assets.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You're making me realize I haven't thought enough this offseason about the impact Ruff could end up having on some of the young forwards; if nothing else, Ruff's got a history of getting the most out of his younger guys on offense, and Pavel's a kid who could really use a steady spot, room to grow, and some help overcoming what sometimes feel like his own mental hangups on the ice (e.g. few other Devils elicit more cries of "SHOOT THE DAMN THING" from the viewing audience).

I don't know what my view is on Zacha's upside, but a strong guy centering a third line with legitimate talent on his wings and getting in that 40-50 point range doesn't seem completely outside the realm of reality; he just needs to grow, something a coach like Ruff can certainly help with...and yeah, he is just 23, cliche as that is.
honestly i hope ruff does more for the defense.

the devils didn't score a lot of goals, especially in the second phase of the hynes tenor, where he tried to save his a.. . but dallas scored less for the season and made it all the way to the sc finals. on the other end only ottawa and detroit got scored on more and this is with blackwood playing a really good season. like corey years ago blackwood cost the devils a better draft slot.

if ruff can get the devils a solid defensive structure, there is hope for an improvement in the standings. if nas is allowed to play the hynes beheaded chicken style defense, this will most likely end in the same disaster.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Kulikov has never played a full season so I doubt this prevents them from making another move defensively

Although with Ty coming up that makes seven contracts on the books

Could a Detroit take Butcher if we ended up acquiring a Cernak? Idk maybe I am too harsh on Will
with murray and kulikov on the roster there's a good argument for 13/8.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
if the devils still are collecting assets, zajac salary slot could be used for a one year cap dump like eriksson.
I'm not talking trading him this year. If for some reason someone wants to take his last year from us and it makes sense, so be it. But I was talking about if nothing happens with him this season, next offseason signing him to a low hit 1 year IF there is no one who takes place and starts doing what he does.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad