Devils 2019-20 Preseason/Season team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Corey Pronman of The Athletic has been posting a team each day since early August as part of a ranking of the best prospect base in the NHL. Today the Devils were posted and he ranked us at #3 in the league.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Corey Pronman of The Athletic has been posting a team each day since early August as part of a ranking of the best prospect base in the NHL. Today the Devils were posted and he ranked us at #3 in the league.
source.gif

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Hypothetically speaking, if Taylor hall tells ray Shero today that he won’t sign an extension with the devils, would you do hall for laine 1 for 1? Then proceed to sign laine to whatever he wants

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Hypothetically speaking, if Taylor hall tells ray Shero today that he won’t sign an extension with the devils, would you do hall for laine 1 for 1? Then proceed to sign laine to whatever he wants
Yes, of course. Would never happen in a million years though.

Reactions: mdj12784

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Acquiring Laine straight up for Taylor Hall would be a deal that the Devils will lose short-term, but would be a major win long-term in my opinion. However, I just can't see Ray Shero moving Taylor Hall at this time.

If Taylor Hall remains unsigned when the calendar turns to 2020, the Devils should look to trade Hall to a Western Conference team, then take a huge shot at signing him to a 6/7 year contract in free agency in July. Would be best case scenario IMO.

For example, Taylor Hall to Nashville for Jeremy Davies + Eeli Tolvanen + 2020 1st round pick + 2020 NJD 2nd round pick. Nashville goes all in this season for the Cup, Devils continue to build with assets that fit the Hughes/Hischier/Bratt/Smith/Severson timeline.

Then on July 1, sign Taylor Hall to a 7 year, $70 million contract.

Last edited:

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Yeah I've been wondering where we was going to rank the team but it doesn't sound super great as to why we would be third. He basically pumps the tires of Hughes/Smith/Boqvist and not a whole lot else. Other teams must be freaking barren in their pipelines for us to have the third best in hockey. There's a ton of question marks after the alleged top guys, like Talvite/Zetterlund/Poppa/even Bastian/McLeod/etc. Lots of potential NHL players, though, which is probably why we would be ranked highly. Not a ton of guys who might move the needle, however. Like big time potentially impact players I feel the list is rather thin.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah I've been wondering where we was going to rank the team but it doesn't sound super great as to why we would be third. He basically pumps the tires of Hughes/Smith/Boqvist and not a whole lot else. Other teams must be freaking barren in their pipelines for us to have the third best in hockey. There's a ton of question marks after the alleged top guys, like Talvite/Zetterlund/Poppa/even Bastian/McLeod/etc. Lots of potential NHL players, though, which is probably why we would be ranked highly. Not a ton of guys who might move the needle, however. Like big time potentially impact players I feel the list is rather thin.

I don't know where you all think NHL prospects come from. They come from the top of the draft and then they go into the NHL. 26 players drafted in the 2016 draft are no longer prospects by Pronman's definition. Something like 45 players drafted in 2015 are no longer prospects. There isn't a giant pool of talent outside the NHL - the future superstars of the league not presently in the league are mostly A: players drafted in the most recent draft and B: players who will be drafted in future drafts. I'm sure there's some HOF level players who don't fit these criteria who are presently on Pronman's prospect lists but it's not going to be a huge list of guys when it's all said and done.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I feel like pool ratings don’t mean as much for the NHL because there is so much quick turnover year to year at the top of every team’s prospect pool.

It’s not like baseball where top prospects stay prospects for an extended time.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
On second thought, I hope some other fan base trolls us and loads the polls with some terrible song like Ricky Martins “She Bangs” just so our ownership can see that fan polls are a bad idea.

they aren't actually giving fans a vote. they will cherry pick the ones they think it should be or just put in the ones they want without us knowing.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
they aren't actually giving fans a vote. they will cherry pick the ones they think it should be or just put in the ones they want without us knowing.
As they should.

I don't want other teams fans hijacking this contest and picking an awful song.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Acquiring Laine straight up for Taylor Hall would be a deal that the Devils will lose short-term, but would be a major win long-term in my opinion. However, I just can't see Ray Shero moving Taylor Hall at this time.

If Taylor Hall remains unsigned when the calendar turns to 2020, the Devils should look to trade Hall to a Western Conference team, then take a huge shot at signing him to a 6/7 year contract in free agency in July. Would be best case scenario IMO.

For example, Taylor Hall to Nashville for Jeremy Davies + Eeli Tolvanen + 2020 1st round pick + 2020 NJD 2nd round pick. Nashville goes all in this season for the Cup, Devils continue to build with assets that fit the Hughes/Hischier/Bratt/Smith/Severson timeline.

bro you are never getting that type of return at the deadline for Hall.

Also, its happened only a handful of times in recent memory that a guy gets traded and then signs back with his former team.

Just not a realistic scenario whatsoever.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
No, only because we have no idea what he wants. Pre-negotiated contract, maybe.

Aug 10, 2010
NJ
I think it’s all just a ploy to get more emails/Phone numbers to contact to sell tickets and the song has already been picked and approved by the higher ups in the FO.

Reactions: Patrik26

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

Sounds like a NJD's fan wet dream.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
No need to get back into the pedo/you suck debate.

Who Let the Dogs Out wins in a landslide.

Oh god no!!!

One of the lamest songs I have ever heard.

I'd rather listen to The Gate song 24/7 than this crap.

How many times do we need to do this dance?

Gary Glitter is a convicted rapist and paedophile. His music should never be used again.

Move on.

Yes because when the music played after a Devils player scored a goal back in the day, that pedo was the first thing that popped in everyone's head.
q7oYrVh.png

Give me a break....

(note : I think Nashville still uses that as a goal song.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad