Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada

BOOM, THE GOAT SAID IT

"We have a pretty big nucleus for our team, and the thing with free agency is you can get yourself into trouble when you really start looking to plug holes, when some of those players might already be in your system already, or in waivers, or whatever"

Just saying nice things to make us feel good before he leaves and signs with the Rangers. :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Our new game host sounded like she asked at least one question to each player that got a "What?" or "What do you mean" response haha.

She'll get there.
It was a fair question to Severson imo. She referenced getting healthy scratched in the playoffs and asked if he is coming into camp feeling as if he has to win a spot and gain trust back or something like that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

BOOM, THE GOAT SAID IT

"We have a pretty big nucleus for our team, and the thing with free agency is you can get yourself into trouble when you really start looking to plug holes, when some of those players might already be in your system already, or in waivers, or whatever"

Ray said some similar things about July 1st and free agency.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
It was a fair question to Severson imo. She referenced getting healthy scratched in the playoffs and asked if he is coming into camp feeling as if he has to win a spot and gain trust back or something like that.

That question is very much on point, I'll have to check that out later. The playoffs were just one among several instances in the past couple years where he's been a healthy scratch. I mean obviously he has a key role in our projected lineup but it's a fair question nonetheless.

Reactions: HenriquesJawLine

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Sounds like they're hung up on term, as in, if it's beyond one year what are the expectations?

(Agent) I do agree with Ray with that I don’t think there is a big gap. I did see one thing that Ray said about “philosophical differences” and I disagree with him on that. There is a CBA and that’s a fact. There are certain rules and some teams play it differently than others.

He went on to confirm that they haven't spoken in several days. He starts pumping Wood's tires some more but basically he's projecting Wood to be a 20+ perennial goal scorer and that adding any term beyond one year changes what both parties are looking for in a contract.

Reactions: MartyOwns

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I’m definitely sensing some tension between Shero and the agent. The “veil of diplomacy” is a bit transparent, especially after physically seeing Shero speak about it today.

He’s annoyed. I don’t think he cares all that much, but it’s definitely a “dude, really?” type thing.

Reactions: glenwo2

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I’m definitely sensing some tension between Shero and the agent. The “veil of diplomacy” is a bit transparent, especially after physically seeing Shero speak about it today.

He’s annoyed. I don’t think he cares all that much, but it’s definitely a “dude, really?” type thing.

I agree, I think the agent is touting Mile's continued trajectory of success as a foregone conclusion while in reality he likely needs another good year under his belt to solidify that reputation with management.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Wood scares me as a player. When he is not producing he drags down his linemates IMO. BUT, his progress has been great so I hope that continues.

Reactions: theoptimist

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sounds like they're hung up on term, as in, if it's beyond one year what are the expectations?

(Agent) I do agree with Ray with that I don’t think there is a big gap. I did see one thing that Ray said about “philosophical differences” and I disagree with him on that. There is a CBA and that’s a fact. There are certain rules and some teams play it differently than others.

He went on to confirm that they haven't spoken in several days. He starts pumping Wood's tires some more but basically he's projecting Wood to be a 20+ perennial goal scorer and that adding any term beyond one year changes what both parties are looking for in a contract.

So he disagrees that they have a disagreement? What's next, he'll want an argument?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Wood scares me as a player. When he is not producing he drags down his linemates IMO. BUT, his progress has been great so I hope that continues.

This was true year 1, but last year he was the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Should be interesting to see where he stands this year though.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
If that's the case than the NJD should sign him for a year and be done with it.

I agree. We have enough cap space, why not sign him to a slightly bloated 1-year “prove it” deal and let Wood show us his worth? Though Wood probably wants the security of multiple years at a higher contract, and if he has a good year he’ll expect even more..

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I was disappointed the moment we replaced Christine Simpson many moons ago.

She was great, much of what you wanted in an analyst or person in her role.

Love that Ray's all about business and trying to make logical, non-emotional decisions.

It's 'not a family business' yet he has brought staff and even players from prior 'family' in Pittsburgh and elsewhere that Shero was. Not too sure Shero's quote there makes much sense given what he has done him very self here.

The contradictory quote aside, it isn't necessarily wrong, this goes on everywhere in sports when upper or management or coaching moves elsewhere, they bring along what they know and are familiar with that can be trusted. Just odd that Shero would say something along those lines.

If anything, Hynes quote gives a more logical approach, that of knowing and trusting that Kowalsky can be of help. Shero obviously hasn't been keen on the start from keeping Kowalsky, a guy, from a prior 'family' around, nor has he with others - which again is perfectly fine and understandable, however he contradicts himself here.

I myself gained 2 lbs of pure donut this offseason

So bring on the season, my body is ready!

The Don Koharski diet.

Reactions: mtnet

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Apparently the (3) camp groups are out - don't feel like embedding from Twitter. I suck at it (go to Amanda Stein's Twitter)... But I tried to finagle potential lines they might be looking at to start based on who is grouped with who..... Looks maybe something like this?

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Seney-Anderson
Boyle/JQ-Zajac-Noesen

Greene-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy

We shall see if they do any line work and if that is the case, whether or not they look anything like that.

Reactions: Quest for Stanley

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Apparently the (3) camp groups are out - don't feel like embedding from Twitter. I suck at it (go to Amanda Stein's Twitter)... But I tried to finagle potential lines they might be looking at to start based on who is grouped with who..... Looks maybe something like this?

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Seney-Anderson
Boyle/JQ-Zajac-Noesen

Greene-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy

We shall see if they do any line work and if that is the case, whether or not they look anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad