Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing that was bothering me earlier was the thought that Moore might be given an extension for 2-3 years before the regular season starts, or at some point on or before July 1st.

Then I just now thought of it, and I'm hoping this is what really happens. Perhaps the reason he was protected in the expansion draft had to do with the fact that if he scores some points again this year, maybe he's worth a 2nd round pick at the deadline. Jon Merrill would not have been worth a 2nd round pick at the deadline or probably not at all at any time. And even in this inflated defensemen market that I talked about earlier, Merrill might also not have even been worth a 3rd or a 4th round pick. So the decision to protect Moore might have more to do with cashing in on an asset this Spring, rather than the organization being smitten with him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it was more about our desperate need for offense from the back end than anything else. While I don't think Moore will repeat the goal scoring he had last year, he's still the only defenseman other than Severson who is any kind of threat offensively. Ultimately I think they prefered Moore's skating and offense to Merrill's defense.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it was more about our desperate need for offense from the back end than anything else. While I don't think Moore will repeat the goal scoring he had last year, he's still the only defenseman other than Severson who is any kind of threat offensively. Ultimately I think they prefered Moore's skating and offense to Merrill's defense.

Definitely a big reason that I could see. I'm still hoping my theory holds at least a little water though, as it means he won't be extended.

Or we'll just see extensions for Moore and John Hynes announced around 3:32 PM on August 11th.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm actually kind of surprised we haven't heard anything about a possible contract extension for Hynes given how often teams seem to extend coaches going into the final year of their contract. Maybe Shero isn't as attached to Hynes as we think.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm actually kind of surprised we haven't heard anything about a possible contract extension for Hynes given how often teams seem to extend coaches going into the final year of their contract. Maybe Shero isn't as attached to Hynes as we think.

I'd wait until April to decide. Hynes won't be so in demand that another NHL team is gonna be moving in on hiring him to be a head coach if we let him get too close to next offseason without a contract. He's not AV or Torts, where his name or resume make you think twice about leaving him in there as a lame duck. Lindy Ruff was just in the last year of his deal and Dallas just let it expire. Darryl Sutter was a month away from UFA before Lombardi re-signed him last Summer, and even though interest might have been low this offseason in hiring him for a new head coaching job, it's much more dangerous to let him get near an expiring contract than a guy like Hynes.

It's never been 100% confirmed, but DeBoer seemed to be heading into a no contract offseason, before Lou extended him on the last day of the 14-15 season, after it was rumored that Toronto might go after him if we fired him or didn't bring it back. Lou claimed he was already under contract for the next year, but one of Chere or TG claimed they were able to confirm that he really was re-signed and not under contract past that year.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Have I missed something or what I thought that the summer showcase would be talked a lot more about then what it is. Why is that? How was our young guys doing and didn't McLeod play in last nights win for canada

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
We need a LHD. Pens need a C. I think there is a trade to be made here. How about something along the lines of:

Henrique + Lovejoy for Maatta + Kuhnhackl.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We need a LHD. Pens need a C. I think there is a trade to be made here. How about something along the lines of:

Henrique + Lovejoy for Maatta + Kuhnhackl.

Not bad.

I doubt Penguins would be willing to take the 2 million cap difference in that deal to add Lovejoy. A straight up swap would work best for them.

Not too sure I want to make this deal right now. I'd likely wait till some point next year and try to make it when we have a better idea of Mueller and the young Cs.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
One thing that was bothering me earlier was the thought that Moore might be given an extension for 2-3 years before the regular season starts, or at some point on or before July 1st.

Then I just now thought of it, and I'm hoping this is what really happens. Perhaps the reason he was protected in the expansion draft had to do with the fact that if he scores some points again this year, maybe he's worth a 2nd round pick at the deadline. Jon Merrill would not have been worth a 2nd round pick at the deadline or probably not at all at any time. And even in this inflated defensemen market that I talked about earlier, Merrill might also not have even been worth a 3rd or a 4th round pick. So the decision to protect Moore might have more to do with cashing in on an asset this Spring, rather than the organization being smitten with him.

They protected him because they need him. He is more valuable than merrill in my opinion.. in a league where puck moving skating defensman are a sought after commodity. if nothing else moore is a dynamic skater and the devils sorely lack this type of player on defense. and my opinion is that moore is a decent player. he has not found the consistency in his game yet but he is entering the prime of his career now. he suffered two fairly major injuries in each of his two seasons here. his first season before he hurt his ankle he was playing exceptionally. when he came back from that injury he wasn't as good.

i think he is better than merrill for this organiztion.. and your point is well taken about having some real value in a trade.. i just don't think this team has enough in the system to dump a guy like him we are razor thin on the blue line

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Promising? That is highly debatable.

The kid is 22 years old for crying out loud. We should all know by now that dman take longer to reach their full potential. He wasn't picked in the middle of the first round for nothing.

I'll give him 2, maybe 3 years, before I jump to any conclusion as to wether he can play a key role in our lineup or not. Some are already labelling him as a bust without even playing a single shift for ours... now that's what I call premature.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Have I missed something or what I thought that the summer showcase would be talked a lot more about then what it is. Why is that? How was our young guys doing and didn't McLeod play in last nights win for canada

Check the NCAA prospects thread.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Aarne is an intriguing prospect, I'm a fan of the types of players who you can stick in any different situation and he won't look out of place.

Will be cool to follow him at Penn State when he arrives.

If only Rutgers had a Div 1 hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad