Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I'm satisfied with this off-season. The Johansson trade was very good in my opinion and should improve our team. If Shero could shore up the Devils defense more, I'd bump my rating up to very or extremely satisfied depending on what was done with the defense. But the offense overall has been revitalized with trades like Palmieri, Hall, and now Johansson since Shero got here. If we could see any comparable strengthening of our defense, that would be great.

I think one of the things to be most excited about is that he's managed to add really good young pieces incrementally, at seemingly great prices. Johansson is just the latest example. That was a steal. With the cap space/picks he's been accruing he'll be able to continue doing this.

At this stage of the game for the Devils, the more uneventful the offseasons are the better.

They need to develop their players, form a core group of decent players and go from there...UFA's are not for this team. Honestly I don't even think Johansson was necessary...Unless he he was brought in to play RW but I am not sure that is the case?

He was good add for sure but just really doesn't do all that much to meet the mission of developing our new core in my opinion. It's like you are baking the best chocolate cake that you possibly know how to and someone says hey here is some caviar...That really doesn't help you make that chocolate cake. Just my opinion.

I think the organization made a major mistake protecting Moore and leaving Merrill unprotected.

Jury is still out on Mueller...We'll see but we probably wont know for a couple years...Most likely he still is going to need development at the NHL level.

I think it's more Ray falling into a player who was undervalued, who's young and productive. Could build his value and be flipped. At the same time, when rebuilding it's imperative to surround your young guys with enough talent.

I hear ya on Merrill though I've soured on him. Think Moore might have more value both presently and in the future as a trade piece. I also liked the Mueller trade but I've always been higher on him than most.

The Boyle signing was also a nice low profile move. And the turnover/buyouts while a bit risky with respect to RW depth send a good message to the players and highlight the youth movement as well. I agree about Mueller but I guess the pro scouting department saw something they liked.

Thought Boyle was an excellent acquisition myself. Perfect vet to bring into the fold.

Will admit I was a little shocked he couldn't benefit more from the expansion draft scenarios. Thought you'd get your defensive help that way.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I've been hearing this for 20 years :laugh:

The football team has had some accomplishments in the past 20 years.

The B-ball team? Maybe not so much, but they do finally seem to have a good coach in place, and are bringing in some good recruits.

But time will tell.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
youre right he sucks and won't ever be anything

that better?

some of ya'll never stop

He didn't even have a good season in the AHL. How can you possibly justify saying he is promising. Please go ahead and make an argument to support your claim. And no just because he is Devils' property, that is not sufficient.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He didn't even have a good season in the AHL. How can you possibly justify saying he is promising. Please go ahead and make an argument to support your claim. And no just because he is Devils' property, that is not sufficient.

Nah, you're right...he is terrible and will never be anything. I am sorry for posting a shred of optimism about a player that our GM deemed worthy of trading for.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Nah, you're right...he is terrible and will never be anything. I am sorry for posting a shred of optimism about a player that our GM deemed worthy of trading for.

I'm confused. How much of the AHL, let alone the San Jose Sharks AHL team do our fans get to watch?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Change of scenery is a real thing that has saved a lot of careers.

Not sure how a former 1st round pick who played in the league at 18 and got Ahonen'd doesn't qualify as promising.

No one is expecting him to be the savior, just better than John Moore would be good enough.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Random insight that came to me with the John Moore reference, but I do appreciate his remarks after the last game of the season. He may not be more than a 3rd pairing dman, but at least he gives a damn.

Here's hoping he's in a more appropriate role this season.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
You don't get drafted in the first round, let alone the top 15, if you don't have some potential and promise. Now putting that all together and playing up to potential is a totally different thing.

And like Afro said, a change in scenery can help players and has.

No one is expecting him to be a guy that drives an offense from the back end like Karlsson, Josi, Burns, Subban or Hedman. Maybe he is just a better skating Larsson or he is more like Ekholm.

He is still has potential to be a solid NHL player and dman, something this team desperately needs on the left side.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm confused. How much of the AHL, let alone the San Jose Sharks AHL team do our fans get to watch?

I'd bet that 99% of the people complaining about Mueller has NEVER seen a Sharks AHL teams games. They're going off numbers from hockeydb or hockeyreference and just following along with the herd. Obviously Shero and Co saw something they liked over a guy like Merrill.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'd bet that 99% of the people complaining about Mueller has NEVER seen a Sharks AHL teams games. They're going off numbers from hockeydb or hockeyreference and just following along with the herd. Obviously Shero and Co saw something they liked over a guy like Merrill.

Exactly. Shero decided to give up a 2nd and move back to the 5th in trading our 4th, while also leaving Merrill unprotected. I'm going to assume that Shero and Co see plenty of potential in a 22 year old D that was stuck behind on the depth chart of a good western team.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
Yep, I got to see Mueller live in an AHL playoff game against Calgary's farm team, the Stockton Heat. Going from memory, I think it was Mueller that made a horrific gaff near the offensive blue line that resulted in the goal that swung momentum in the Heat's favor. I remember him being pretty mobile, but otherwise a non-factor except for the play that was just mentioned.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Exactly. Shero decided to give up a 2nd and move back to the 5th in trading our 4th, while also leaving Merrill unprotected. I'm going to assume that Shero and Co see plenty of potential in a 22 year old D that was stuck behind on the depth chart of a good western team.

Playing defense in the NHL is changing. Slower positionally sound defenders are losing their place in the league. Look at Lovejoy. He's smart and 20 years ago would have been sound in his own end. Now he's hanging on by his guile and veteran tricks. On a good team he'd be passable on a third pair with limited PK time but he'd still be someone virtually any team would try to replace. In theory Mueller has all the physical tools of a current NHL defender. Merrill was a bit slow afoot and never developed any offense or physical game. Now we can't see his heart or easily measure his decision making but in theory he offers the potential to play a regular role in the current landscape. Stop the attacker retrieve the puck and transition it to the forwards. He's got the size and mobility to do this. If he can learn how to transition the puck relatively quickly he can play.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm sure they liked his skating...this staff has shown a propensity to go with good skaters even when they aren't good players. Moore is a perfect example... it's probably why Wood stayed here, it's why Auvitu, Warsofsky got more opportunities than they probably should have...

I have never seen Mueller play other than YouTube... I don't know what to expect in all honesty but his numbers are more than a little concerning at the AHL level. Even more defensive guys put up numbers in the AHL...

Let's look at Fayne (2008 draft), Merrill(2010 draft) and Larsson(2011 draft) in the AHL. I expect Muller(2011) is this "style" of defenseman from what I saw....(I put their draft year to show the relative closeness in development time frame)

AHL Points per game
Merrill .67 PPG
Larsson .60 PPG
Fayne .35 PPG
Mueller .27 PPG

Not knowing much about him and seeing .27 PPG makes one question how good​ he could possibly be... it's a reasonable question I think?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm not as concerned about points from defenseman as I am that they can move the puck.

Santini hadn't put up many AHL points but he can move the puck so he was helping the offense, whether the points came or not.

It's also extremely disingenuous to include Fayne as a comparable as he played over 60% of his AHL as a 29 year old.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not as concerned about points from defenseman as I am that they can move the puck.

Santini hadn't put up many AHL points but he can move the puck so he was helping the offense, whether the points came or not.

It's also extremely disingenuous to include Fayne as a comparable as he played over 60% of his AHL as a 29 year old.

Santini only played 20 games and they were broken up by an injury...I don't think that is a reasonable comparision.

I suppose the Fayne numbers are unfair as well... he put up .21 PPG in his first stint of 19 games...

Typically if you can move the puck you score more points than .27 at the AHL level...we are talking 124 AHL games for Mueller and 30 assist

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

That was nothing I said. But there is no indication that he is promising. Just because he was a former first round pick years ago doesn't mean much now. And just because our GM made a move doesn't mean it was a good move. I get bias can get you, its all good.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If you actually followed my posts, youd know typically I am not positive about the Devils.

lol.

I mean, young and talented is kinda the definition of promising. If some don't think he'll put it together, or that the player you are when you're 21 defines your entire career, then that's a completely different argument.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I'll bet Bleed and like two others are the only ones that have seen his NHL games either.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'll bet Bleed and like two others are the only ones that have seen his NHL games either.

I know it might be me blindly having faith in them but obviously Shero and Co though there is a higher upside over Merrill who I actually liked. Until they prove me otherwise I'll continue to trust them. They've done a great job so far building up the farm system despite not adding much to the back end. I'd imagine that is the next and "final" piece to the puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad