Development Camp

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Giving out a contract because of an unorganized scrimmage is crazy, but we did give one to someone after a single hit in a scrimmage, so why not?

It wouldn't be based on a single scrimmage but this is why they hold a development camp. It's to give development help but also evaluate. An AHL deal or even an ELC to a 20 year old ex 7th round pick player isn't crazy at all and happens across the league.

Reactions: Tarmore

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It wouldn't be based on a single scrimmage but this is why they hold a development camp. It's to give development help but also evaluate. An AHL deal to a 20 year old player isn't crazy at all and happens across the league.

AHL deal, sure, give out as many as we are allowed to, that I don't mind.

I assume they have enough to assess someone on outside of this and have viewed enough tape to have an idea of who they want to offer contracts to before hand.

I think assessing someone's playing level during this scrimmage is hard and likely incorrect, it is way too unorganized.

I was specifically replying to the Tweet that is saying sign him because of this scrimmage.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
AHL deal, sure, give out as many as we are allowed to, that I don't mind.

I assume they have enough to assess someone on outside of this and have viewed enough tape to have an idea of who they want to offer contracts to before hand.

I think assessing someone's playing level during this scrimmage is hard and likely incorrect, it is way too unorganized.

I was specifically replying to the Tweet that is saying sign him because of this scrimmage.

He's been really good and has stood out in a good way, so I agree with the tweet and assessment. I don't think the Leafs would give out an ELC based on a scrimmage regardless but if they did sign him, I think it would be a good smart bet. That's really it, it's not that deep or complicated.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I wish the Leafs used their last pick on Veit Oswald instead. He's got some good wheels and did some good stuff. I can't say I noticed much of the other guys.

Why is he non-eligible for an ELC? Thought there was a window after the draft where you could sign them to ELC.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
The Minten, Cowan and Moldenhauer line is way too good.

Minten scores.
How is Moldenhauer looking?

I always thought he had talent and was going under the radar because everyone was just looking up boxscores.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I just read this article on Cade, doesn’t seem to be a slow skater. In fact he skates well in straight lines and has “above average agility in open ice”.

A Capfriendly scouting report grades him a B+ and projects him for the third pair. They state his skating has “matured” in college. They rated his skating 79.

Why are you dissing this guy? Not a Dubas pickup? Do you have the information others don’t?
Exactly, Brad bad, Kyle good. 98 percent of all “opinions” line up with this thesis. So boring.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Project forward showing progression and has pro size. Why not, it's only money.

Defenseman.

I always thought he had talent and was going under the radar because everyone was just looking up boxscores.

Showed some good speed and forechecking. I don't watch a lot of NCAA so I'm not sure how much he's progressed but he stood out in a good way.

Reactions: aingefan

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

I hope he’s looking good! His parents live at the end of my street. It would be nice to have a future leaf nearby. I can get info for the forum lol

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Cowan and Minten? Ready. Holinka? Steal. Danford? Beast. Cups? Inbound.
lol. I agree with your assessments although Minten could use some extra time developing his playmaking. Cups are a ways away. Remember nothing good will happen with this team until Marner and Tavares are gone and they have that 22 million bucks in extra cap space.

Not sure why Holinka was rated so low. The guy can finish.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Ahhhhhh, I wondered if he got picked.
There was also Jelsma, Fimis and I think a Finnish(?) kid who either had fanfare or stood out last year. I don’t think the first two got picked this year, not sure on the Finnish(?) kid since I can’t recall the name.
Edit: Leaf’s Dev Camp has a good history of unearthing guys iirc. Durzi was one undrafted guy, then there were some others.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ahhhhhh, I wondered if he got picked.
There was also Jelsma, Fimis and I think a Finnish(?) kid who either had fanfare or stood out last year. I don’t think the first two got picked this year, not sure on the Finnish(?) kid since I can’t recall the name.
Edit: Leaf’s Dev Camp has a good history of unearthing guys iirc. Durzi was one undrafted guy, then there were some others.
Durzi went in the 2nd round

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Cowan and Minten? Ready. Holinka? Steal. Danford? Beast. Cups? Inbound.
Never heard of Holinka before last week. Sounds like he has skills, Minten kind of lit up when talking about him. Doing a deep dive on scouting reports, his one weakness I could find was a reference to losing board battles, but that is just one take.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Never heard of Holinka before last week. Sounds like he has skills, Minten kind of lit up when talking about him. Doing a deep dive on scouting reports, his one weakness I could find was a reference to losing board battles, but that is just one take.
I am getting use to these out of the blue picks turning out for the Leafs. So much so that I now go into Development Camp trying to figure out which one of these guys is the homerun pick. :laugh:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
What's worse. Defensive d man who supposedly can't move the puck out the zone but help keep pucks out of our net or those skilled defenders who can move pucks but turn it over so much leading to goals against. We seem to be obsessed with the 2nd option around here.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad