Development Camp

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
What's worse. Defensive d man who supposedly can't move the puck out the zone but help keep pucks out of our net or those skilled defenders who can move pucks but turn it over so much leading to goals against. We seem to be obsessed with the 2nd option around here.
The answer is C - a coach who can’t put players in positions of strength to achieve success.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Viktor Johanssson weighted in at 6’1 , 147LBS is wild lol

He must have been good , hayley wickenheiser said he was a bright spot camp and is going to fly to Sweden to see him in a few weeks to see how he trains . compared him to klingberg .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Viktor Johanssson weighted in at 6’1 , 147LBS is wild lol

He must have been good , hayley wickenheiser said he was a bright spot camp and is going to fly to Sweden to see him in a few weeks to see how he trains . compared him to klingberg .
He put someone on their butt inside the offensive zone blueline. Must have been someone weighing 137 lb.

• Haha
Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Durzi went in the 2nd round
Yeah, I meant guys who attended Leafs development camp that then led to a pretty good career….either signing or getting drafted. Durzi was one, maybe Trevor Moore….there was a few others.

Back to McCleary: why didn’t Pitt sign him?

Big RHD who put up plenty of points?

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
lol. I agree with your assessments although Minten could use some extra time developing his playmaking. Cups are a ways away. Remember nothing good will happen with this team until Marner and Tavares are gone and they have that 22 million bucks in extra cap space.

Not sure why Holinka was rated so low. The guy can finish.
Minten needs to be on the team learning from real play makers and NHL players not in juniors learning nothing new. We have Tavares for another year who he can learn how to be a center from and learn how to be good on faceoffs. He has Marner to learn the play making from. He can be our three C he's at the point where he needs NHL experience.

Same applies to Cowan he has absolutely nothing left to learn in the OHL and has done everything, he also needs the NHL experience now, sending him back would be counterproductive. He has all the confidence in the world right now let him ride his high train.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Ahhhhhh, I wondered if he got picked.
There was also Jelsma, Fimis and I think a Finnish(?) kid who either had fanfare or stood out last year. I don’t think the first two got picked this year, not sure on the Finnish(?) kid since I can’t recall the name.
Edit: Leaf’s Dev Camp has a good history of unearthing guys iirc. Durzi was one undrafted guy, then there were some others.
Durzi was drafted in the second round after his first invite if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: aingefan

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Minten needs to be on the team learning from real play makers and NHL players not in juniors learning nothing new. We have tavares for another year who he can learn how to be a center from and learn how to be good on faceoffs. He has Marner to learn the play making from. He can be our three C he's at the point where he needs NHL experience.

Same applies to Cowan he has absolutely nothing left to learn in the OHL and has done everything, he also needs the NHL experience now, sending him back would be counterproductive. He has all the confidence in the world right now let him ride his high train.
I’ve see nothing to convince me that Mintens ceiling is anything above a 3C. He’s a good all around player but he lacks explosiveness and elite vision that top line players have. I do see him as a decent bottom 6 guy though but not in the same league as Cowan. Cowan is absolutely a top 6 forward.

Minten has plenty to learn in junior. He needs more PP time and big minutes to further develop his offensive game.

Cowan could use time in junior as well but he’s closer to being NHL ready. What Cowan needs is added physical strength like most 18 yr olds. NHL D men will punish him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’ve see nothing to convince me that Mintens ceiling is anything above a 3C. He’s a good all around player but he lacks explosiveness and elite vision that top line players have. I do see him as a decent bottom 6 guy though but not in the same league as Cowan. Cowan is absolutely a top 6 forward.

Minten has plenty to learn in junior. He needs more PP time and big minutes to further develop his offensive game.

Cowan could use time in junior as well but he’s closer to being NHL ready. What Cowan needs is added physical strength like most 18 yr olds. NHL D men will punish him.

I don't know if playing against kids is going to do anything for Minten.

Physically, he looks mature.

It is his time to play against men, whether in AHL or NHL.

He might not be top 6, but seems to be better than 4th. liners playing 9 minutes a night in the NHL.

Reactions: aingefan

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

He might not be top 6, but seems to be better than 4th. liners playing 9 minutes a night in the NHL.
Agree. His contract doesn’t slide this year (20 yo) so he will using up a year of his ELC. Might as well make him work for it. 3rd line wing or centre. if he earns it let him stay. He’ll have to make a difference in regular season this time. If not, Marlies await.

Reactions: ULF_55

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

He’s not getting any PP time in a men’s league. At best he will play sheltered minutes.

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
What does it say?

- Grebyonkin didn’t participate in on-ice drills
- Cowan looked like one of the best in camp
- Minten looked good but offence is still lacking, recommends time in the AHL
- Holinka left the best impression on him of prospects he wasn’t familiar with
- Danford’s skating was excellent, no issue matching speed skating backward
- Pieces are there for Chadwick, needs improvement on skating and puck skills
- Johansson needs to put on weight, but handled physicality well and had an active stick
- Webber didn’t jump out, good or bad, needs to work on aggressiveness in some defensive situations
- Lisowsky deserves an AHL deal, has a lethal shot and very hard working
- Moldenhauer looked very good, hopes strong end to camp leads to better sophomore season at Michigan
- McCue drew the ire of a couple guys, seems to embrace the pest mentality
- Kressler’s speed was impressive
- Peksa has crazy athleticism, can make outrageous saves
- Akhtyamov was the steadier of the two NHL-affiliated netminders but chalks it up to a stylistic aspect
- Fusco was firing passes in scrimmage, jumping up and didn’t shy away physically
- During the 2v2’s, Hagens threaded a pass through two players, beat the defender by faking left and jumping right, very crafty
- Rheaume laid some solid hits
- Dirracolo had some good defensive moments, hopefully gets invited to Rookie Showdown
- Hutson fired a nice goal, could be a complementary piece to line-driving teammates
- Oswald has straight line speed
- Fitzgerald looked a little rough
- Lavins delivered a notable hit on Ricketts
- Didn’t see much from Muranov
- Brauti battled all week, struggled on pass receptions
- Pilling has a nice shot
- Barbolini showed unexpected level of skill
- McCleary was all over the ice, would give him an AHL deal
- Rowe looked great, goalie worth keeping an eye on

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He’s not getting any PP time in a men’s league. At best he will play sheltered minutes.

On the Marlies he might get second unit time.

He should have a shot at earning a job in camp but at the same time I'm fine with getting a start on the Marlies. He'll get bigger minutes and a chance to grow into a prime role. He needs to get time in at the AHL level to help develop his offensive game. I feel like sheltered minutes in the NHL will stunt his growth in that area.

Reactions: ULF_55

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Marlies aren't exactly stacked with talent.

He is probably amongst the most talented on that depth filled roster.

Additionally, his size is mature man, and will get stronger.
I’m not convinced they would use him on the marlies PP. I doubt he would be more productive than a guy like Abruzzese or Steeves for example. Might get second unit time.

Last edited:

NJG

Jun 27, 2015

Mintens ceiling is a 3C at most a 2C and that's fine. He will be a very good 3C.

Cowan legit has nothing left to do in junior he's done it all.... And to assume Cowan needs physical strength because NHL D men will punish him is not actually true nor a fact... the NHL has much smaller guys in the league who can play and be effective at his size and smaller.... Cole Caufield & Alex DeBrincat say hello, two players he's bigger and heavier then and they seem to do fine.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Mintens ceiling is a 3C at most a 2C and that's fine. He will be a very good 3C.

Cowan legit has nothing left to do in junior he's done it all.... And to assume Cowan needs physical strength because NHL D men will punish him is not actually true nor a fact... the NHL has much smaller guys in the league who can play and be effective at his size and smaller.... Cole Caufield & Alex DeBrincat say hello.
Those guys are probably stronger than Cowan. Not bigger but likely stronger. 95% of men are stronger at 25 than 18.

I’m not saying Cowan can’t contribute. In fact he could probably play 3rd line nhl minutes right now. However you do risk injury when you expose 18 yr old players to adult male athletes who’ve been training for years. Robertson was rushed and it stunted his development.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What's worse. Defensive d man who supposedly can't move the puck out the zone but help keep pucks out of our net or those skilled defenders who can move pucks but turn it over so much leading to goals against. We seem to be obsessed with the 2nd option around here.

Well, you gave one option where you get scored against and one option where you don't so obviously the one where you don't get scored on.

If you want to give realistic options we can have a better discussion.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Those guys are probably stronger than Cowan. Not bigger but likely stronger. 95% of men are stronger at 25 than 18.

I’m not saying Cowan can’t contribute. In fact he could probably play 3rd line nhl minutes right now. However you do risk injury when you expose 18 yr old players to adult male athletes who’ve been training for years. Robertson was rushed and it stunted his development.
How old is he in October?

Just reminding that time isn't static, he is a year older.

Top 5 picks aren't older.

Have courage, accept even Leafs can have normal results.

PTSD is real in Leafs fans.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015

Robertson wasn't rushed he just hardly ever played. Cowan and Robertson are two completely different players, Robertson only has a shot and that's it, Cowan has a complete game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad