Confirmed Trade: [DET/NSH] Andrew Gibson for Jesse Kiiskinen, 2024 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Great trade for Nashville. I consider Andrew Gibson one of the most underrated prospects in hockey.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Nashville uses a surplus 2nd from this draft and a 3rd round prospect from last draft in an area of organizational prospect depth RW (Evangelista, Tomasino, Wood, Kemell, Weisblatt, Fink etc) to get a 2nd round pick from last draft that they really liked at the time and has progressed nicely.

Detroit uses the pick to dump Walman and still has a decent prospect.

Makes pretty decent sense for both teams (if you consider Walman a cap dump... if you like him as a dman then yoj are srill scratching your head).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Detroit must know something about, and really like Kiiskinen, because they just rewarded Gibson with his ELC and I know they liked him..

We’re gonna see some of these trades with how many D they have in their prospect pool.
Yzerman is on the record that if you hit the value on a player or prospect he will move them.

While people are running around upset, especially with Walman and I was a big fan of Gibson, this is an element I like about Yzerman. He sticks to his valuation on guys in contracts and trades to a pretty massive extent and that is true back to his Tampa days.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Between this and the Walman thing, it definitely feels like Steven Y has something lined up for a defenceman that he feels is going to clog up the depth chart long-term or something. Something big money too probably.

Or maybe there was something else going on with Walman and he just likes the value on Kiiskinen a lot. But there was a lot to like with Gibson's progression as well as being one of the most "coveted" types of prospect these days.

My money is on a megadeal for Montour, trading for Trouba, or more likely something with Tampa. Maybe that's Sergachyov...or possibly Cernak i guess.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Be interesting if this is just one of two trades made between the teams, and maybe we’re waiting on Saros agreeing to extend with Detroit, but they had to push this part of the trade, to close the Walman deal with the pick coming from Nashville. The only reason I say that is because I know Detroit really liked Gibson.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Be interesting if this is just one of two trades made between the teams, and maybe we’re waiting on Saros agreeing to extend with Detroit, but they had to push this part of the trade, to close the Walman deal with the pick coming from Nashville. The only reason I say that is because I know Detroit really liked Gibson.
This feels like Detroit and Nashville were working on a Saros trade but Detroit needed to dump cap first so Nashville did them a solid and gave them a second and a prospect for Gibson.

I'm wondering if Detroit flips Husso to SJ so they can retain salary and move him to NSH, and that is the future consideration in the Walman deal. Walman and a second to SJ to retain on Husso, Nashville gets Husso @50%, Gibson, #15, and Berggren, and Detroit gets Kiiskinen, a third, and Saros.

The trade isn't finalized because it's pending a Saros extension.

let me dream

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
This feels like Detroit and Nashville were working on a Saros trade but Detroit needed to dump cap first so Nashville did them a solid and gave them a second and a prospect for Gibson.

I'm wondering if Detroit flips Husso to SJ so they can retain salary and move him to NSH, and that is the future consideration in the Walman deal. Walman and a second to SJ to retain on Husso, Nashville gets Husso @50%, Gibson, #15, and Berggren, and Detroit gets Kiiskinen, a third, and Saros.

let me dream
I don’t think the Sharks have any retention slots left

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

let me dream
It’s just a strange trade because not just 6 weeks ago they gave Gibson his ELC, and they’ve been really high on him.

Interesting note on Kiiskinen, he does check all those boxes for an Yzerman forward. High paced, plays in traffic and creates space. It’ll be interesting to see where he’s at in Finland’s pecking order for the U20s, as he’s still only 18 years old. Was one of the youngest players in the draft last year, as an August birthday.

If he were a September birthday, he’d be in this year’s draft, as a higher pick than a 3rd, having a full Liiga season under his belt at 18, and U20 action already.

So he’s not chopped liver as a prospect. If there’s not more to this, it would be interesting to see how the deal went down. Maybe Detroit called on him and the Preds said sure, we’ll take Gibson, leading to the “give us a 2nd and since we have so many dmen, we’ll do it.”

Could be that simple. It’s not your normal deal though. That’s for sure..

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It’s just a strange trade because not just 6 weeks ago they gave Gibson his ELC, and they’ve been really high on him.

Interesting note on Kiiskinen, he does check all those boxes for an Yzerman forward. High paced, plays in traffic and creates space. It’ll be interesting to see where he’s at in Finland’s pecking order for the U20s, as he’s still only 18 years old. Was one of the youngest players in the draft last year, as an August birthday.

If he were a September birthday, he’d be in this year’s draft, as a higher pick than a 3rd, having a full Liiga season under his belt at 18, and U20 action already.

So he’s not chopped liver as a prospect. If there’s not more to this, it would be interesting to see how the deal went down. Maybe Detroit called on him and the Preds said sure, we’ll take Gibson, leading to the “give us a 2nd and since we have so many dmen, we’ll do it.”

Could be that simple. It’s not your normal deal though. That’s for sure..
Especially in light of dumping Walman and a second for future considerations. Walman at 3.75 isn't bad enough of a player or contract to merit that trade.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Detroit just did this so that when they pick up Jon Gibson in a few days it looks weird on paper.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Especially in light of dumping Walman and a second for future considerations. Walman at 3.75 isn't bad enough of a player or contract to merit that trade.

Fact is Yzerman started the morning with 8 picks set to use this weekends draft. He successfully eliminated and cleared $3.4 million off the roster for two years.... and he still has his same 8 picks to use this weekend + added another young asset.

SFY is clearing cap space for something else, and is also promoting two young dmen on cheap contracts.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Weird. Assuming he’d renter the draft, couldn’t they just draft him with that 2nd and keep their prospect drafted last year? Maybe they figured he’d go earlier?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad