Confirmed Trade: [DET/NSH] Andrew Gibson for Jesse Kiiskinen, 2024 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Pretty big dude, righty, and drafted 42nd last year while NSH had pick #43 - Trotz must've really liked his game then and only seems to have improved. I like it.

I had NSH taking a RHD in the first round this year but I wonder if this changes the game plan from the front offices' perspective. Defense still looks thin

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Pretty big dude, righty, and drafted 42nd last year while NSH had pick #43 - Trotz must've really liked his game then and only seems to have improved. I like it.

I had NSH taking a RHD in the first round this year but I wonder if this changes the game plan from the front offices' perspective. Defense still looks thin

I was just thinking, perhaps Detroit scooped him from us last year.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Gibson is a RHD that many in vancouver boards targeted as a no nonsense, large, stay at home option in 2nd or 3rd rounds. He has developed nicely since, whenever I try to check up on Kudryavtsev, its him I notice. Very astute move from Trotz, as its impossible these days to acquire young RHDs unless its from Yzerman. ASP better be careful.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Don’t really like It, Gibson is a more valuable player at a more valuable position. No idea who the winger is, just says “relentless motor” which makes sense lol. I hope he packages these 2nds with a LHD prospect or Berggren to move up or trade for Necas/Buchnevic/Vatrano

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Gibsons a really good prospect. I had him ranked in my 1st round last year in th elate 20's. A solid right shot defenseman with good frame and defensive instincts. Him and Molendyk are two really good pieces for Nashville.

Detroits prospect pipeline is deep. This trade makes a ton of sense from that perspective. I'm sure they are looking to move assets around so the puzzle comes together better

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Gibson is a RHD that many in vancouver boards targeted as a no nonsense, large, stay at home option in 2nd or 3rd rounds. He has developed nicely since, whenever I try to check up on Kudryavtsev, its him I notice. Very astute move from Trotz, as its impossible these days to acquire young RHDs unless its from Yzerman. ASP better be careful.

Gibson was the Soo’s all situations dman last year, on a team that also has Kirill and Karkki (Vegas D prospect) and potential 3rd rounder Virgilio.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If you trade a 2nd round pick from a year ago for a 3rd round pick from a year ago and a 2nd this years draft a week prior to the draft, then it is fair to assume you like the player you are acquiring a lot.
I guess, but he made it sound like the Preds gave up a ton. They got a higher rated prospect and added a 2nd. I’m not seeing why it’s emphasized like they gave Josi to even it out.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
If you trade a 2nd round pick from a year ago for a 3rd round pick from a year ago and a 2nd this years draft a week prior to the draft, then it is fair to assume you like the player you are acquiring a lot.

You have it backwards, Gibson was drafted in the 2nd last year and Kiiskinen in the 3rd.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
My guess is they see a log jam on defense right now with their prospects. Maybe they are targeting a forward at the draft…or even a goalie.
Why exactly with the Red Wings target a goalie unless you mean a trade for a goalie. Because they sure as heck aren’t going to draft another goalie after drafting Cossa and Augustine.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The most logical here is they need an asset either to move on from Holl or go get Gibson from Anaheim from the Detroit perspective. I guess we will see.

One of the things I like about Yzerman is he sets a price on guys and if you hit it he pulls the trigger.

I do like Andrew Gibson but the Wings have a ton of prospects. I trust they are moving things around for the right reasons. The scouting report on Kiiskinen is encouraging. We need more F1 forecheckers with jam and skill in the system.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The most logical here is they need an asset either to move on from Holl or go get Gibson from Anaheim from the Detroit perspective. I guess we will see.

One of the things I like about Yzerman is he sets a price on guys and if you hit it he pulls the trigger.

I do like Andrew Gibson but the Wings have a ton of prospects. I trust they are moving things around for the right reasons. The scouting report on Kiiskinen is encouraging. We need more F1 forecheckers with jam and skill in the system.
Why not use Gibson ?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hmm. Wonder what Yzerman wants that 2nd for. I mean, it could just be a value trade, but the timing seems suspicious.

Ugh, I'd be so disappointed by this.
It depends on what the trade really looks like. I need to see the whole picture before getting super upset. All three of Edvinsson, Wallinder, and AlJo have dual side experience. ASP was fantastic out of the gate, if they don’t see a top 4 defender then cashing in assets to do other things makes sense.

When we say Carter Mazur is the only guy like him in the Wings system, while I don’t think he is quite as good and need to dig back in that is not as much the case with Kiiskinen now on board. I like that aspect of this trade but we will see still early. I remember having a decent grade on him. I did have a first on Andrew Gibson last year, but like I said I can see the balancing act.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

So close. The answer was "Walman" not Holl.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Gibson is a really good prospect, not sure I like this from Detroit's perspective but what da hell do I now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad