Waived: [DET] G Ville Husso waived by the Red Wings (cleared)

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
He's been pretty damn good overall, I'd say.

Using Sv% as the sole criteria to judge a goalie is misguided.
While I agree on the SV% point, I’d be hard pressed to find an example of a goalie with a sub-.900 SV% who I’d say has been playing well, Binnington included. Sure he wasn’t a total disaster but he was definitely below average overall at best.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Never suggested it was. Benning was god awful. I said Yzerman was doing his best impersonation of him, which he has with some of his terrible signings. You really, need to work on your reading comprehension bud. The amount of dead cap Yzerman has in a year when there’s a lot of pressure to actually improve and make the playoffs is a bit comical.

Yzerman took over a team that was essentially devoid of talent, and has had to sign available UFAs to questionable contracts as band-aids to be able to ice a team without rushing his youngsters into service before they are ready or trading useful picks/prospects for short term pieces.

Benning took over a team that had made the Cup finals a couple years prior and still had some talent, and caused a bunch of self inflicted wounds that made the team worse. That is very different than overpaying for a couple of band-aids and having them fail to help stop the bleeding.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Yzerman took over a team that was essentially devoid of talent, and has had to sign available UFAs to questionable contracts as band-aids to be able to ice a team without rushing his youngsters into service before they are ready or trading useful picks/prospects for short term pieces.

Benning took over a team that had made the Cup finals a couple years prior and still had some talent, and caused a bunch of self inflicted wounds that made the team worse. That is very different than overpaying for a couple of band-aids and having them fail to help stop the bleeding.
He has also made the team improve in every single season since 2019-2020. You can critisize him of bad signings, but he has not made the team worse with them. And in the case of Husso, it was mostly about his injuries that derailed his game. Had it not been Yzerman signing him, there was a line of other GM's ready and willing to do the same.

Players like Holl and Petry on the other hand... Or even the handling of Walman, where it's painfully obvious that just by dropping him to waivers would have resulted in him being taken by someone, if that was the goal.

He has made mistakes for sure, but all in all it feels like fans of other teams seem hell-bent in their jealousy of what the Wings used to be, that they're milking every single thing they can find just to be able to talk them down, all the while more often than not, their own teams do similar and at times even worse mistakes.

In the grand scheme of things, Yzermans legacy as a GM is still wide open and the only thing actually cementing it one way or another, is how he handles the team. Does he end up taking them to a legit contender status or does he end up getting sacked eventually. Until either of those happens, he's in the same pile of GM's that are trying to accomplish what everyone is; to win.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
There isn't a single Red Wings thread that doesn't turn into an Yzerman thread with most of the usual suspects who aren't even fans of the team. The only thing more annoying than hearing about "the Yzerplan" is the non fans dissecting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad