Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Lucas Raymond re-signs with the Red Wings (8 years, $8.075M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Fine piece of business for Yzerman but I dunno about 'steal'. Still just a smallish offense only winger. Not sure if there's a ton of room for Raymond to make more of an impact really.

The eight years is the vital number here.
I think this year he's gonna have a breakout year. Seemed to finally set into the big league in the second half of the season..The final few games he was dominant. New season, new contract, trained hard over the summer. I also think he gets an A now.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You average almost ten (!) posts a day for the last seven (!) years on a hockey (!) forum, but still have too much work to figure out who the former 4th overall pick is? :snide:
lol most of my posts are about how much I hate my own team.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
It is a great contract, because it wont even be an overpayment in the first year!
He is 22. So he is signed 8 years to his 30 birthday.
You get prime Raymond for 8 years at that cap (well below under 10 %)?
The great thing is the 8 years! If they can sign Mo Seider for 8 years as well (8.5), they have a great basis to be a contender in a few years if they can pick up talent.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
The 4 years at $7.75 AAV was where many thought it would come in most of the summer. If that number was correct, Raymond didn’t get much more doubling the term. So he may have left some money on the table, but this is a nice wealth contract.

Hopefully he earns it year one, and Detroit’s not waiting around, like some other teams, for the contracts to start paying off. If he plays like he did the second half of 23’-24’, should earn it from year one.

4 year deal did not make sense whatsoever - it basically gets Raymond to UFA in the quickest way. Not something you pay 7.75 mil for. This was only possible in Raymond's agent dreams as we see based on final outcome.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It is a great contract, because it wont even be an overpayment in the first year!
He is 22. So he is signed 8 years to his 30 birthday.
You get prime Raymond for 8 years at that cap (well below under 10 %)?
The great thing is the 8 years! If they can sign Mo Seider for 8 years as well (8.5), they have a great basis to be a contender in a few years if they can pick up talent.
That’s something nobody talks about, and why it’s perceived as such a good deal. Most 22 year olds are getting these contracts, hoping they grow into them. Stutzle is a perfect example. Teams are willing to overpay for 2-3 years, then hope they’re underpaying for 5-6 years.

Raymond should play up to his contract in year one. So he’ll logically be underpaid for almost his entire deal. We’ll see. If he’s what he was showing the last 20-25 games last year, it’ll be a steal.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tough one, because i think this probably ends up being very good "value" over the duration. It's already pretty "fair" value for what Raymond can be as a play-driving winger. However...it's just so sketchy to invest so much in a winger in general. It risks leaving you in that limbo. Detroit really need some of their Centers and non-Seider defencemen to start panning out so badly, if this is all going to work.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Progressed every year, if he becomes a 90 point guy or better, what a steal. Solid contract even if he stays what he is right now, but his comments about the signing and his work ethic seem good, I expect him to improve more.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Tough one, because i think this probably ends up being very good "value" over the duration. It's already pretty "fair" value for what Raymond can be as a play-driving winger. However...it's just so sketchy to invest so much in a winger in general. It risks leaving you in that limbo. Detroit really need some of their Centers and non-Seider defencemen to start panning out so badly, if this is all going to work.
Raymond becomes the 65th highest paid player in the league. ~20 wingers, give or take, earn more than him already, day 1 of the contract.

Doesn't seem like too much of a risky investment. Detroit needs stars and Raymond looks like one.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
That’s a nice deal for both sides.

Progressed every year, if he becomes a 90 point guy or better, what a steal. Solid contract even if he stays what he is right now, but his comments about the signing and his work ethic seem good, I expect him to improve more.

Basically how I see it too. Even if 70-75 points is his peak, it’s solid value. If he starts hitting 90, steal of a contract.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fine piece of business for Yzerman but I dunno about 'steal'. Still just a smallish offense only winger. Not sure if there's a ton of room for Raymond to make more of an impact really.

The eight years is the vital number here.
Raymond plays the full 200, you would be amazed at how good he has become at puck battles at both ends. The weight he put on going into year 3 really changed how other teams could play him. I also think Kane taught him how to back some guys off a little better.
When you don't watch Lucas Raymond...
He finished last year as a house on fire, that he also did it without Larkin is something I am not sure I expect other fanbases to know. I really expect Raymond if healthy to be in the high 80s to 90s and he can drive his own line. He also looks to have put on more muscle still in the stuff him and Seider are sharing online. He is our best forward probably next season which should also help Larkin a lot.

He is 11th in scoring for left wings, he actually needs to shoot more so he has easy growth areas for even more production. Really excited to see the next step this year. Guy is a stud.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

He put on like 12 pounds of muscle last summer and it showed. It'll be interesting to see if he continued to try to bulk up this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad