Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
People shouldn't get "too" excited for him to be back. He'll be out of shape catching up to the rest of the guys so it's not like he will be a godsend off the bat.

it's irrelevant really.

It's not a matter of what he WILL do when he's back.

It's a matter of what he COULD do.

Stepan in the Rangers line up provide for another level of danger that opposing teams have to consider. One more option to think about defending against.

The Rangers with a slowed Stepan are still better than without a slowed Stepan.

He's a smart and dangerous player and having him in the line up makes us a tougher team to defend.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He's skating right now, it's 4-7 days before he rejoins practices. He was also doing swimming and stuff like that to keep up his conditioning, I don't think it'll be a huge issue to get back into things. Once he's practicing he's probably just about ready to return. A couple of practices and he'll probably be in a lineup after that, but it will certainly take him several games to really get his conditioning back, you just can't do it very well on practice alone.

e: it was reported he had started skating on his own 5 days ago now.

4-7 when he rejoins practices, more than likely in a red jersey for another 4-7 days.

I still believe that there's no rush to get him in the line up before the Buffalo game on the 21st. The team is 2 pts out of first in the division. currently in 7th place in the conference.

Unless this current home stand goes south in a hurry, which I don't believe it will, holding Stepan out to make sure that his leg is completely healed and 110% ready to go is probably the best course of action for Dec thru April

but that's just my onion

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We haven't played well at all we are lucky we are 5-4 easily could be 2-7

We need this guy back badly

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
The team is averaging 3 goals a game without Stepan (or much of a PP), the top center, which is starting to solidify my prediction that the Rangers will be a top offensive team this year. Took until the 2nd season with the Canucks for AV to transform that team, too.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
The team is averaging 3 goals a game without Stepan (or much of a PP), the top center, which is starting to solidify my prediction that the Rangers will be a top offensive team this year. Took until the 2nd season with the Canucks for AV to transform that team, too.

Was about to say this.

Only three games we've scored less than 3 goals. Our best center and OFD aren't on the team.

I really wouldn't call us "lucky", just playing well.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Was about to say this.

Only three games we've scored less than 3 goals. Our best center and OFD aren't on the team.

I think the loss of Stepan has a lot more to do with the fact the Rangers are giving up more goals.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yea I definitely agree the defensive loss of Stepan has been huge.

Forwards really need to help out in man D. The Wild goal on the bad line change is a decent, recent example. Line change was one thing, but it was exacerbated by McD chasing a player into the corner, leaving the front of the net wide open. That only works if there is strong forward support.

And not to keep harping on it but it will allow MSL to play wing again, which is on everyone's best interests.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Was about to say this.

I don't think Dan Boyle is gonna help the team much, but getting Stepan back is going to be HUGE.

Even if it takes him a while to get back to form, just the fact that it allows the other C's to shift down and face inferior competition is great-- or, if Zuke-Brass-Nash or whatever the line AV is waxing poetic about stays a line, it allows Stepan and Kreider to feast on inferior competition.

It's gonna be exciting to see.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't think Dan Boyle is gonna help the team much, but getting Stepan back is going to be HUGE.

Even if it takes him a while to get back to form, just the fact that it allows the other C's to shift down and face inferior competition is great-- or, if Zuke-Brass-Nash or whatever the line AV is waxing poetic about stays a line, it allows Stepan and Kreider to feast on inferior competition.

I hear ya regarding Boyle but two areas he will help in is to add a little much needed depth to the defense and to lead this Horrific powerplay (hopefully). Boyle on powerplay and please Girardi no powerplay

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I hear ya regarding Boyle but two areas he will help in is to add a little much needed depth to the defense and to lead this Horrific powerplay (hopefully). Boyle on powerplay and please Girardi no powerplay

1. Wrong. You have no idea what a savior Boyle will be.... having an actual top-4 dman on this team will do wonders. Boyle is a very steady skater, has a very good RIGHT HANDED point shot, can PK if necessary, and is a rock offensively speaking. I'm not even going to mention how much more effective the power play will be since everyone else on this team sans Stepan and Zucc know what to do with the puck once they enter the zone on a PP

2. regarding the top 6 with Stepan, i'd argue that either one of those are top-tier 2nd lines on any contending team, which means both of them at some point will go up against weak 2nd line competition. You might face a team that has poor defense patterns, so you ice the Zucc-Brass-Nash line to allow East-West/Puck movement to get open lanes and drive the net. You might also face a team with a fast breakout, of which you'll need the defensive prowess of Stepan, followed by Kreider's blazing speed, which will push defenders out of the way, and finally MSL to finish off the play.

Zucc compliments Nash very well, and Brassard benefits by having the chemistry of Zucc's play. You keep that together every way.

Stepan and Kreider have had chemistry since Kreider became a regular last year. It was Nash who didn't benefit from it. When MSL got here and was put on the PP with Stepan, it looks marvelous. You keep MSL on that line every day.

We actually have 2 different ways to attack now... that's a top 6 offense, something we haven't had in awhile.

Let's not forget a 3rd line of Hagelin-Moore/Hayes-Stempniak/Duclair... thats a responsible 3rd line, that can be just as good as last year's "3rd line"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
With regards to Boyle helping the PP, I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard that line so much over the past decade with regards to a few different guys. The last one was Richards. The PP was still atrocious. I hope Boyle helps--on paper he does--but rarely does one guy turn an awful unit into something noteworthy.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
With regards to Boyle helping the PP, I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard that line so much over the past decade with regards to a few different guys. The last one was Richards. The PP was still atrocious. I hope Boyle helps--on paper he does--but rarely does one guy turn an awful unit into something noteworthy.

Richards was money on the PP for at least the first year he was here. He did his job it wasn't his fault Torts took the life out of everyone who wanted to try something creative out there.

Boyle, at the very least, Gives some options over someone out there who has no idea how to gun the point (See J.Moore, Girardi)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Richards was money on the PP for at least the first year he was here. He did his job it wasn't his fault Torts took the life out of everyone who wanted to try something creative out there.

Boyle, at the very least, Gives some options over someone out there who has no idea how to gun the point (See J.Moore, Girardi)

Brad Richards might have been 10th in the league among centers in PP scoring that year, but his presence on the powerplay caused more issues than it solved, as the team tried to run the PP through him despite his obviously diminished reaction time.

I'm not going to wax nostalgic on anyone's PP presence on a team bottom-10 in the category.

I am looking forward to seeing Boyle in the role, though.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
While I think Stepan is going to help team defense, I think it's being a bit overstated.

AV's teams always start slow.

My opinion? I think the man-to-man defense has alot to do with it. It's a very unforgiving system and just takes time to get used to. We brought in a bunch of new faces this season, most of whom weren't playing this system last season. Our vets need some time to shake off the rust. Hopefully, we start to see this team turn the corner defensively in the next 5 games.

Stepan is a big piece, but he's not the main reason we're bleeding goals right now.

Edit: 2000 posts! So much life wasted...

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I definitely think Steapn's return will greatly improve defense, but I'm really not sure as to much more offensive production we'll get with him in the lineup. However, I do think our defense was the main reason we had the losses we did rather than our offense. I can't wait until he returns lol

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth

Don't forget we've been missing our PP QB and best puck-moving defenseman.... It'll certainly boost the offense when Boyle returns healthy....

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I definitely think Steapn's return will greatly improve defense, but I'm really not sure as to much more offensive production we'll get with him in the lineup. However, I do think our defense was the main reason we had the losses we did rather than our offense. I can't wait until he returns lol

I think Step will make the offense a lot more sustainable. He'll free St. Louis to worry about nothing other than putting up points, which will help whenever Nash's shooting percentage regresses to a normal rate.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Top 2 lines need to be:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Zucc-Brass-Nash

They're just too perfect. Stepan had great chemistry with MSL last year for a time, and he has legitimate chemistry with Kreider. He's the only player on the roster who can catch Kreider streaking at just the right time.

Zucc-Brass-Nash has the potential to be a puck possession monster. All summer people didn't want Nash with those 2 because they thought he needs to be on a line creating his own chances and let them work as a line with someone else, which of course sounds okay in theory, but once you slot Nash, not to mention physically fit and finishing every check playing like a power forward Nash, with them and let some chemistry develop, it can turn into last year's Pou-Brass-Zucc line but even better. You're swapping out just one player on the line who was a good forechecker, but in all honestly made his share of mistakes; with an elite level scorer with more talent and a better finishing touch.

I just hope AV gives these lines a chance to gel once everyone is healthy.

Also, hopefully Hayes can be trusted defensively and our 3rd line can be Hags-Hayes-Duclair. If those 2 rookies can prove to be defensively responsible that has the potential to be a very dangerous 3rd line, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself with the rookies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I think Step will make the offense a lot more sustainable. He'll free St. Louis to worry about nothing other than putting up points, which will help whenever Nash's shooting percentage regresses to a normal rate.

I guess that's a fair point. The only problem I have with him is he can be totally invisible for long periods of time. I mean it doesn't affect his defense, but as much as he can help really boost a line, his streakiness can really bring down a line as well.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I guess that's a fair point. The only problem I have with him is he can be totally invisible for long periods of time. I mean it doesn't affect his defense, but as much as he can help really boost a line, his streakiness can really bring down a line as well.

Don't think streaky is the right word for Stepan.

Slow starter? Definitely.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If we go:

Kreider - Step - MSL
Zuccs - Brass - Nash
Hags - Hayes - Duclair
??? - Moore - Stempniak

We'd have the choice of Malone, Glass, and Mueller for the LW spot. I guess it's kind of set that Mueller gets sent down, Malone's carried as the extra, and Glass get the spot, as much as I'd prefer a different setup. Malone's a bit slow, but Mueller could make that a good 4th line. Won't happen, though.

I really do like the depth. I see that Haggerty's been doing pretty well in the A, but any word on his defensive game?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
If we go:

Kreider - Step - MSL
Zuccs - Brass - Nash
Hags - Hayes - Duclair
??? - Moore - Stempniak

We'd have the choice of Malone, Glass, and Mueller for the LW spot. I guess it's kind of set that Mueller gets sent down, Malone's carried as the extra, and Glass get the spot, as much as I'd prefer a different setup. Malone's a bit slow, but Mueller could make that a good 4th line. Won't happen, though.

I really do like the depth. I see that Haggerty's been doing pretty well in the A, but any word on his defensive game?

I'd go with Mueller because he's looked pretty solid so far, and he adds that extra right-handed shot for the second power play unit. I'd rather keep Malone around as the spare, but Glass isn't going anywhere yet

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If we go:

Kreider - Step - MSL
Zuccs - Brass - Nash
Hags - Hayes - Duclair
??? - Moore - Stempniak

You're right about this. The pecking order really ought to be Mueller, Malone, Glass, but it's almost certainly the exact opposite. Too bad. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad