Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Its not 6 weeks.

And that "top player" has issues of his own. Including no guarantee he will be a member of this team one year from now.

You think the Rangers playing a large portion of their season with one NHL top 9 center isn't going to impact their performance?

Amazing.

Anyone who would deal a number 1 dman because their center will be out for about 6 weeks is nuts.

If you want to see ugly, take a gander at your top 6 without Staal.

Never make a deal out of panic, especially in September.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Ya gotta love Marty. The team is in a tough spot and he's the one who reaches out, after almost 2 decades exclusively on the wing, to pay center on the team's top line. Callahan was my favorite Rangers for a long time, but if he had to traded for anyone, I'm glad it was Marty. There's no way he's ever playing for another team, I really hope he's got a couple more years left in the tank because he's the exact type of teammate you need on and off the ice.

tumblr_n5fuh5ynXC1sna8pso1_500.gif

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Did anyone else get flashbacks of Gary Sheffield offering to play third base when Aaron Boone got hurt?

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
I love the fact that Marty would volunteer for it but I think that size would be an issue. I guess it would only be for a couple of weeks though so it wouldn't hurt to try it out I suppose. I would at least try it out for a couple of games in the preseason and see what happens.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Umm, lots...

Your memory tells you that a lot of people thought the Rangers might win the Cup before last season started?

I just looked through a bunch of mags and websites that say otherwise. Most people were more concerned with making it to the playoffs at all..

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Smart, older, talented players can switch positions. MSL is very smart defensively and obviously good offensively. For 10-15 games, maybe he could slot in down the middle.

It has happened before and isn't uncommon. Guys switch positions and it's much less drastic then players like Buff, Burns, Fedorov who all switched from offense to defense or vice versa.

MSL is the best scorer the Rangers have on the wing--why would the organization move him to a more defensive position that he hasn't played in years and years. And taking face-offs are not so easy at the NHL level.

MSL is being a good teammate. Let's not go any further than that.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Your memory tells you that a lot of people thought the Rangers might win the Cup before last season started?

I just looked through a bunch of mags and websites that say otherwise. Most people were more concerned with making it to the playoffs at all..

Yeah, sure. I'd believe it when I see it
I certainly did: http://rangersunlimited.com/2013/08/20/2013-14-eastern-conference-projections/

Others in the stat community did as well. I believe Ian Mendes picked them to win the Cup off the top of my head.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Announcing who is a Cup contender in September is silly. I doubt Carolina is a contender but how many people pegged the Rangers as Cup contenders last September?

Not when that team is next year's Carolina Hurricanes.

Who will suck ass.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Not when that team is next year's Carolina Hurricanes.

Who will suck ass.

Maybe.

Kind of like Colorado was going to last season.

I remember when I posted here a month into the season last year that I thought Colorado had a chance. One poster promised me they would be dead last by February.

Experts and fans get fooled on a regular basis. It's a crapshoot in hockey, much more than in other sports.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No, just no. Please stop. Enough with the crap about Hayes being a top-6 player. People think that if his scouting reports say that he's good at this or that, he's a good player right now. He's good for his age, he'll likely be good in the future, but he's not a first liner. And how ridiculous that Brass is on the third line when he's the only decent center we got.

Right now, Brass is our #1, Moore is our #2, Miller is our #3. We'll see if it's Lombardi, Hayes or Lindberg at #4.

He certainly continues to look good enough for top 6 so far!
Wanna update this?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lol, bernmeister has an unexpected chance to prove all the stuff he has been posting for months about not needing Stepan is true.

Just so this doesn't get away from us, I'm gonna re-post it every so often. post 207 in this thread

It's early, but it certainly DOES look true, with one clarification; it is not that we don't need Stepan or in any way am I suggesting he is useless/worthless. I am simply saying he is dispensable, not indispensable, and is worth more to us in trade than to keep, esp with the rise in his contract.

Everyone who said Hayes and Miller weren't enough, you are being proven wrong.:amazed::amazed:
I take more than my share of lumps, which is fine, cause I ask for frank opinion including criticism; but now that my critics are being proven wrong --- time to fess up is coming SOON.:amazed::naughty::D

The real world imposes on me.
I'll follow up when I can.

Peace, go Rangers!:handclap::yo:

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Absolutely not. Please stop with your drivel.

Youth is prevailing AS I SAID IT WOULD. You stop. Prepare, for the results of the season to continue this trend, and after enough time, to then admit you've been wrong in your overall criticism of my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Dude, it's been 3 preseason games against weak competition. Absolutely nothing is being "proven."

Sometimes I wonder if you're not actually a satirical account.

Black Hawks not weak, didn't consider any opponent laying down, just outplayed.

It is early.
I'm just setting it up so that the guys who pilloried me for pushing the youth --- which is turning out to be the correct move --- can admit they were wrong and I was right.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Dude, it's been 3 preseason games against weak competition. Absolutely nothing is being "proven."

Agreed. I like the play so far from them and Duke, Haggs, and Fast. It is encouraging. But the Flyers are nothing to write home about.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

Arguments with bernmeister are scored by the rules of Calvinball so he's always winning.

Championship*

It is early.
I'm just setting it up so that the guys who pilloried me for pushing the youth --- which is turning out to be the correct move --- can admit they were wrong and I was right.

Know this - nobody will ever admit that, ever. They won't have to.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL

It is early.

Most of us want the youth to succeed. Most of us will be ecstatic if we're a great team sans Stepan because of the youth. It makes for fun problems: figuring out who to keep, who gets traded, re-signed, etc. You being "right" isn't going to piss many people off given that it implies team success and a winning record. If it does irritate people, that's just them being silly about not wanting to be proven wrong against a guy who, let's face it, can be a little intense in his posts. I myself have called you out numerous times. And then I've gone back to apologize and admit you were right where I was wrong once. If you're right, I'll even help you call out those who shouted you down.

All that said, it's SO early to be calling this with that much confidence that it's obviously going to rub some people the wrong way. That's normal. You're a... "unique" poster. Not always in a good way. Not always in a bad one either. Just saying.

Mostly, we should all just be cheering for the same thing here. If Hayes and Miller can step up and be what you say, and what we all hope... then having Step, Brass, Miller, Hayes, Moore as center depth is a great thing. But we're never trading Stepan for Kadri. :)

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA

It is early.
You act as if no one else thinks that the team would do well injecting youth into the roster. You do realize that you are posting on a message board that is dedicated to discussing hockey prospects, right?

Additionally, you're acting as if people actually care about who you are. Maybe it's possible that people just disagree with your opinion and that you're just another random unimportant poster on a message board who isn't anything special and doesn't have "detractors."

The kids are playing well, it's encouraging, it is still way too early to draw conclusions based on that, and frankly no matter what happens with the kids it has nothing to do with you and no one owes you a thing.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Youth is prevailing AS I SAID IT WOULD. You stop. Prepare, for the results of the season to continue this trend, and after enough time, to then admit you've been wrong in your overall criticism of my posts.

You really trying to take bows after 2 preseason games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad