Dennis "The Everbeast" Everberg

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
That move actually makes the most sense AND it is a great sign. It means that Berra isn't going on IR and they had to send somebody down to bring Sami back up. They are leaving the door open for Berra to be back Tuesday.

Nope, it would make more sense to send down the worst player on the team and let your 12 best forwards play. I get the point of doing so because of his waiver status, but we have other guys who are sitting on the bench currently who would never get picked up. Not only are we putting a lesser player on the ice now, but that also sends the message to the prospects that hard work and proving yourself really doesn't get you much. You are still just a prospect who is just filling a void until everyone is healthy. Who cares that you have outplayed half the current team and showed 10X more skill than the guy taking your spot on the 12 man playing roster.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There is what you want vs. what actually is going to happen.

For what it's worth i do think Winchester will be able to unseat cliche. Then we'll have Duchene, O'Reilly/MacK, Malkin and Winch locked in as our four C's. After that I can see cliche getting waived if briere/Tanguay still aren't injured.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For what it's worth i do think Winchester will be able to unseat cliche. Then we'll have Duchene, O'Reilly/MacK, Malkin and Winch locked in as our four C's. After that I can see cliche getting waived if briere/Tanguay still aren't injured.

I agree there, Cliche will be the 13th forward then. Only way he could get waived is when Bordy comes back but someone else will be injured by then.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree there, Cliche will be the 13th forward then. Only way he could get waived is when Bordy comes back but someone else will be injured by then.

Which will ultimately decide things, I had assumed briere, Tanguay or someone else would be hurt by the time Malkin got back so that Everbeast could stay up, but since it didn't happen that way we didn't get that chance.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Like it or not Cliche is the 4C,

Well, thats the problem. We have better options, but we go with this guy instead. I think part of the backlash is that everyone knew this was coming, but because Cliche was actual scratched last night we all got our hopes up for a second.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
You really think it's they were worried about losing Cliche, come on. When ever was a prospect going to stay over someone who played the entire season last year, never.

When said prospect shows to be so much better than the guy who played all of last year. And especially when the coaches end the year by complaining about depth and the bottom 6 of the roster being one dimensional and having no offensive ability. It makes no sense at all. We have a guy who is a solid defender, just like Cliche, but he also provides much more in other areas of the game. The only thing Cliche has over him is his FO ability, which Cliche is not even good at. Just let Talbot suck it up in the FO circle. And if it really is about getting an actual C on the 4th, instead of a guy like Talbot playing C, well then just bench Talbot. He is basically in the same boat as Cliche so far this year. Bench him until he gets his crap together. but no, instead we bench/send down a guy who has shown to be useful at both ends of the ice and someone who has shown more effort than just about anyone on the team.

Everberg has shown to be the better player, easily. More talent, more effort more, more versatile. He should be playing until that changes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe this was just done because it's likely to only be a game or two until Berra comes back. So why risk losing Cliche if it's such a short term thing. Then when the longer term decision has to be made when Varly and Winchester come back, then they'll keep Everberg up and send down Cliche.

If not, man does Roy sure play favorites. Best player probably through all the games until Mitchell comes back and he just stops playing him and sends him down.

Meanwhile the whole team is playing like crap, and you got a guy in Cliche who serves very little purpose with Mitchell, Talbot, and Winchester all being able to center the 4th line and bring more than him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Whenever Winchester returns then it's a fair question but until then Cliche isn't going anywhere.

For the reasons I mentioned it makes sense, but in general a McLeod-Talbot-Everberg 4th line, blows a McLeod-Cliche-Talbot line out of the water. Not even close.

I like that Chambers doesn't think Everberg is a good fit for the 4th line though. As if he was brought in to be on a scoring line only. Yea, the big forechecking, keep it simple winger, who plays a strong defensive game isn't fit for the 4th line. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I get that he wasn't good last year while Everbeast had a nice first few games, but a couple good games isn't going to win the kid the coach's trust over a guy who was with the team all of last year and was trusted with PK time. The season is long and Everbeast will get more chances, but patty going with the guys who did it last year, especially with the rough start, isn't exactly shocking to see from a head coach in any sport.

Same reason Guenin's getting first crack at the third pairing RHD spot over Redmond for now. It's fine and the kind of thing that establishes the lockerroom hierarchy. If we're still *****ing about cliche and Guenin playing over EB and Redmond when the playoffs are rolling around, then it's an issue . But that's a long way away and injuries will give guys like Redmond, Everberg and Siemens their chances before then.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Whenever Winchester returns then it's a fair question but until then Cliche isn't going anywhere.

It's a fair question now. We are now playing someone who has looked like the worse player and the player with less potential. Very fair to question why "cliche isn't going anywhere" when we have better players available.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Who says we have better players than cliche? Much worse players have looked solid for a lot longer than the 5 games Everbeast has under his belt. Now I tend to agree that cliche is mediocre and EB will be able to give us more moving forwards, but we don't know that yet and so no one should be surprised that the coach is sticking with the man he knows and trusts rather than the question mark. EB had a good start, let him go back down with that confidence until a spot opens up for him again. It won't take too long and once he has closer to 20 games under his belt we'll have a better idea of what he can really bring.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Wait a minute, am I missing something here? Why not just put Wilson on IR instead of sending anyone down?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I hope it was just done to free up a roster spot for Sami but I doubt it. I think most of us expected this.

Gotta keep Cliche up for the PK, you know? We really missed him out there yesterday and his faceoff ability is really needed. Afterall, he is winning 42% of his faceoffs while on the PK. How do you replace something like that?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Avs are fully healthy, Everberg might be the odd man out with a bottom six of:

McGinn Mitchell Briere
McLeod Winchester Talbot

If so, it would make more sense to have him playing in AHL than being the 13th forward up here. Cliche and Bordeleau are better suited for that.

I think he's made an impression on the coaches because of how reliable his game is. He gets the puck out of the zone when he has to. He gets in the shooting lanes. He doesn't gamble in the offensive zone. He's not a Ferrari but sometimes being a Volvo isn't a bad thing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's a good sign they actually scratched Cliche for him, they put Varly on IR over sending him down and he got PK time in late yesterday. I can see him come back soon. When Bordy is back someone else will be out. But yeah doesn't make sense to keep him as the 13th forward.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Is Cliche on a one-way contract? Even if it is only a couple games in the AHL, it is a lot to pay someone.

Everberg will be back, both due to his good debut and an inevitable injury in the future.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
who the **** would even pick cliché up on waivers anyways?

mactavish-credit-sault-star.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad