Proposal: DEFENCE to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Let season play out. Toronto is fine. Watch Pittsburgh and see of dumo comes available.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Leafs fans crying about Justin Holl is so weird. He's a #4D making 2m. Stop trying to prove that you're cool and knowledgeable hockey fans by shitting on a perfectly good player. His contract is one of the best on the team for what he brings. Seriously, hockey fans have absolutely no idea what #4-6 defensemen actually look like. It's like y'all expect Chris Tanev as a bare minimum.
Crazy thought that depth players, should be depth players.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Leafs don't really need to go out of their way to add a defenseman. Maybe a depth guy if they come cheap, that's it.

Sandin and Dermott aren't expected to be out long-term. If healthy, they have 7 NHL-calibre players that should be in the lineup every night.

It would probably benefit the team more to add a secondary scorer to add to lines 2, 4, or 4.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I agree that we need to upgrade Holl. Josh Manson with double retention would save the Leafs cap space and would be an upgrade on Holl. Unsure as to what Manson's value would be though.

He would? lol... Should check on the availability of Vlasic while we are at it.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
he is a 5-6 D at this point.

Started well cr*ptacular lately.
The entire team has been cr*ptacular for a month now. Bruan could fill the role Bogo did for them last year.
I think we are looking for more of a defensive #4.
Muzzin might be able to carry someone a bit if they were more mobile.

Sandin and Liljegren have been fantastic as our bottom pair.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I think we are looking for more of a defensive #4.
Muzzin might be able to carry someone a bit if they were more mobile.

Sandin and Liljegren have been fantastic as our bottom pair.

Bruan is as mobile as the Zamboni but he will give you a physical, strong defenseman who will make life very uncomfortable in front of the net.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Bruan is as mobile as the Zamboni but he will give you a physical, strong defenseman who will make life very uncomfortable in front of the net.
And that is a bit of a problem. Muzzin isn’t the most mobile himself at this point in his career.
I’m definitely not against him as a depth option but it really restricts what I think the Leafs would be willing to pay for him.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
And that is a bit of a problem. Muzzin isn’t the most mobile himself at this point in his career.
I’m definitely not against him as a depth option but it really restricts what I think the Leafs would be willing to pay for him.

Agreed. pairing him with Muzzin might be an issue. Muzzin looks like he has lost a step or two this season from the games I have seen.

I am only expecting a mid round draft pick for Bruan at this point. Or B level prospect. Hell with how gutted the blue line is a swap of Holl and Bruan would be fine with me. Sanheim can carry him on the second pairing.

I think the Leafs should move Lilijegren up beside Muzzin anyways. Looks like a natural fit. I live in Toronto so I see far too many Leaf games.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Ghostisbehere could be had for a prospect and pick most likely from the Leafs. It would however, probably cost you more than you're willing to pay and make a lot of Leafs fans irrationally angry.
We are looking for a guy to play on our shutdown pair. Does that sound like Ghost?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Agreed. pairing him with Muzzin might be an issue. Muzzin looks like he has lost a step or two this season from the games I have seen.

I am only expecting a mid round draft pick for Bruan at this point. Or B level prospect. Hell with how gutted the blue line is a swap of Holl and Bruan would be fine with me. Sanheim can carry him on the second pairing.

I think the Leafs should move Lilijegren up beside Muzzin anyways. Looks like a natural fit. I live in Toronto so I see far too many Leaf games.
I’d do Holl or Dermott for Braun at 50%.
Gives the Flyers someone younger with more years of team control.
Gets the Leafs out of their cap crunch when we get everyone back and healthy.

I have been hoping to see Liljegren get some time with Muzzin so I’d like that. The Leafs tried it out and the preseason a bit and they looked good together. But I think the Leafs are trying to bring Lil along slowly and that might be too much to throw at him this early in his career.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Hoping to win every year in Toronto? #logic

Way too many futures traded since Dubas was hired as GM. Prospect pool is very thin and Covid Flat cap has ruined any chance to add players more than a $1M salary. I'm not a Leafs hater but Dubas has learned on the job. Not cool and when you look back in a few years, your fan base is going to run the bus over him.

Who are the Leafs going to add and what contract do they send the other way? #CAP HELL
yeah when there forced to move matthews or lose him for nothing dubas will be checking out of town.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Crazy thought that depth players, should be depth players.
He's the #4 defenseman, he IS a depth player. He's a 2m #4D on the 3rd best GA/GP team in the league. He's literally one of the most cost effective players in the league. He's been a shutdown #4 for two years now. Yeah, maybe he's not having a great season right now despite being the #4 on a top10 blueline, but you're going to give up on him after 30 games? lol

If Jake Muzzin can carry his bum ass to solid results for just 2m a season, we call that "Chemistry and Value". If they were forwards it is literally what people thought JT did to his wingers. Build a statue for Muzzin and stare gleefully at the cap savings that having a 2m #4D gives you to spend elsewhere in the lineup.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I’d do Holl or Dermott for Braun at 50%.
Gives the Flyers someone younger with more years of team control.
Gets the Leafs out of their cap crunch when we get everyone back and healthy.

I have been hoping to see Liljegren get some time with Muzzin so I’d like that. The Leafs tried it out and the preseason a bit and they looked good together. But I think the Leafs are trying to bring Lil along slowly and that might be too much to throw at him this early in his career.

This is basically the only type of deal to be had for Toronto.

There's over 50 games remaining, and nobody is "out for the season".

If they're bringing in incremental cap, they need to be prepared / willing to lose a player on waivers. You're not going to trade anything for guys that have a very realistic chance at ending up on waivers.... and there is no cap space to bring in a defenceman who makes more than what would be going out.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
We are looking for a guy to play on our shutdown pair. Does that sound like Ghost?

I think he mostly needs to have the reigns loose. He's been playing well defensively here, but our shutdown guy is Chychrun. On the other hand, he could be well above expected value very quickly. We got him for free and he's playing like a 1D. On the Leafs, with a lot more scoring, he would almost certainly put up points, and if he played at his current level I think he'd probably either #1 or #2 defensively on the Leafs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Are they looking for a bandaid or to bolster the overall defense?

Penguins have Riikola in the AHL and I think he's a capable NHL dman myself. Great PMD, iffy in his own zone but if you pair him with the right guy, he could be a great stop gap.

Riikola for Mikheyev?

I know he's hurt but it wouldn't matter to us at the moment. Similar salaries, similar age, similar impacts, both UFAs at the end of the year. Easy 1 for 1.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Are they looking for a bandaid or to bolster the overall defense?

Penguins have Riikola in the AHL and I think he's a capable NHL dman myself. Great PMD, iffy in his own zone but if you pair him with the right guy, he could be a great stop gap.

Riikola for Mikheyev?

I know he's hurt but it wouldn't matter to us at the moment. Similar salaries, similar age, similar impacts, both UFAs at the end of the year. Easy 1 for 1.
Pens agree. Riikola will never play full time under Sullivan. It was time to move on a while ago

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
About

Petry @ 50% $
or
Chariot @ 50% $ for this year (resigned)

Probably looking to get your first and second 2022

The90

Feb 27, 2017
He's the #4 defenseman, he IS a depth player. He's a 2m #4D on the 3rd best GA/GP team in the league. He's literally one of the most cost effective players in the league. He's been a shutdown #4 for two years now. Yeah, maybe he's not having a great season right now despite being the #4 on a top10 blueline, but you're going to give up on him after 30 games? lol

If Jake Muzzin can carry his bum ass to solid results for just 2m a season, we call that "Chemistry and Value". If they were forwards it is literally what people thought JT did to his wingers. Build a statue for Muzzin and stare gleefully at the cap savings that having a 2m #4D gives you to spend elsewhere in the lineup.
I agree. Add to that the leafs cap structure and he’s a near perfect fit

Reactions: LeafGrief

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Manson is the check all boxes defenseman the Leafs have needed for a long time:
Mobile? Check
Physical? Check
Protects net front? Check
Defends the blue line? Check
Is right handed? Check
Experience playing against elite players in the playoffs? Check

Stuart Little