Proposal: DEFENCE to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
for a couple reasons

#1 - Sandin is hurt - combine this with the fact that Justin Holl is absolutely terrible and this should be reason enough

#2 - You can never have enough depth - they will need depth for last 50 games and heading into playoffs (injuries will continue to happen)

- they should be targeting guys NOW - pay the premium and get ahead of the game
(Giordano, Braun, Miller, Chairot) = get 1-2 of these guys!

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Gio has an partial NTC and at 6.7M, would need a lot to go right to land him. If he was ok to select Toronto as a destination, Seattle would have to eat a chunk of that salary, and there would need to be major salary headed back the other way.

I agree, with the current situation for the Leafs we need to address the D. Holl is horrible and Sandin may be out long term. I really don't want Chiarot but we need someone to step into the top 4 and play consistent. Better to make a move now than wait a few weeks and potentially go on a bit of a losing streak.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Gio has an partial NTC and at 6.7M, would need a lot to go right to land him. If he was ok to select Toronto as a destination, Seattle would have to eat a chunk of that salary, and there would need to be major salary headed back the other way.

I agree, with the current situation for the Leafs we need to address the D. Holl is horrible and Sandin may be out long term. I really don't want Chiarot but we need someone to step into the top 4 and play consistent. Better to make a move now than wait a few weeks and potentially go on a bit of a losing streak.

Gorton won't settle right now for Toronto very late 1st pick. He will wait for a better one.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I agree that we need to upgrade Holl. Josh Manson with double retention would save the Leafs cap space and would be an upgrade on Holl. Unsure as to what Manson's value would be though.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree that we need to upgrade Holl. Josh Manson with double retention would save the Leafs cap space and would be an upgrade on Holl. Unsure as to what Manson's value would be though.
I could see the ducks moving him for some extra assets, he won’t be a priority signing for us(lindholm + Rakell, maybe circle back to Manson after they are signed)

obviously depends on where we are as a playoff team tho

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I could see the ducks moving him for some extra assets, he won’t be a priority signing for us(lindholm + Rakell, maybe circle back to Manson after they are signed)

obviously depends on where we are as a playoff team tho
Extra assets as in picks or prospects? And high how of a pick or how good a prospect?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Extra assets as in picks or prospects? And high how of a pick or how good a prospect?
Would guess 2nd + 4th(prospect equivalent) …. But it really depends on the market…. Hard to guess right now…. By deadline a lot of teams could have injuries on back end and really boost his value.

Reactions: EK392000

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
I'd like to try out Mennell or Biega first. Regardless, I don't think the leafs *need* another top 4 D. Maybe just a depth piece.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As much of a meme as this has become, I feel like it's bound to finally happen this year.
Lol it actually kinda made sense this year…. But now Anaheim is in the playoff race(tho we play 5 road games in 7 nights without getz/Henrique) so this could be the turning point of the season.

we all expected to be battling for Wright

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sabres have what you need.

Hagg @ 50% if you're looking for a cost-effective defense-first LH defenseman who can adequately man a bottom pair.
Miller @ 50% if you're looking for a good RH puck mover who is mostly sound positionally but is prone to a brain cramp once or twice a game. Can look passable in a 2nd pair role in short bursts.
Butcher @ 50% if you're looking to tank.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I agree that depth is important but there is no panic for the Leafs. They are one of the best teams in the league defensively.
Wait and see what pops up but I wouldn’t be aggressive in looking.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Leafs were literally rumoured to be shopping a defenseman earlier this year. I don't think they need anyone. I think a lot of Leafs fans are pretty irrational about Justin Holl, he's fine for now. He's played most of the games this year and they've been excellent defensively overall, I don't see any reason to panic.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafGrief

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
for a couple reasons

#1 - Sandin is hurt - combine this with the fact that Justin Holl is absolutely terrible and this should be reason enough

#2 - You can never have enough depth - they will need depth for last 50 games and heading into playoffs (injuries will continue to happen)

- they should be targeting guys NOW - pay the premium and get ahead of the game
(Giordano, Braun, Miller, Chairot) = get 1-2 of these guys!
:thumbu:

a new version of his name, which haven't seen, yet.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lol it actually kinda made sense this year…. But now Anaheim is in the playoff race(tho we play 5 road games in 7 nights without getz/Henrique) so this could be the turning point of the season.

we all expected to be battling for Wright

I would not expect Anaheim to move him at this point given how well they're playing vs what the expectations were. But if they did I think the Leafs are finally in a situation where they HAVE to pay what the asking price is. Assuming Sandin is out for an extended period of time we're down to

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl (YUCK)
Dermott - Liljegren

Maybe Lily slides up to the 2nd pair, but clearly a big hole RD. Holl has just been awful, Manson would provide some stability and obviously size. I'm really hoping we can find a way to get it done, there's not really any other D guys on the market I am overly excited about. We have to go for it this year, he probably walks at the end of the year but the situation is just as such. You can't just not try for another year, Tavares is playing well but obviously getting older.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad