LeBrun: DeBrincat will most likely be traded, agent has submitted list of preferred destinations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Berggren is a top 9 winger that will likely be top 6 next year. 50+ point potential.

Kubalik is a top 6 winger good for 20+ goals.

Boston’s 1st will be between 16 and 24 very likely. So Detroit sending 2 cheap, effective roster players AND a 1st? That’s a bad trade. That’s more than the Horvat trade at the deadline.

That is paying more than
Lmfao at calling Kubalik a top 6 winger

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Sure? They aren’t getting a package worth as much as they give up that’s a foregone conclusion.

Would you rather trade that package or Kasper +?

Edvinsson, Kasper and Danielson are an instant no deal. Kasper just had a great season in the SHL and Detroit have high hopes for him.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Detroit lost Bertuzzi and Hronek, don't expect them to be better coming season, what about Detroit first, I think it's Fair

Losing Beruzzi is one thing but we dont have to replace his production, he barely played. Having a player who scores 20 and plays 70ish games is an improvement even if they arent a better player. Hronek will be replaced by internal growth and Ghost can cover the lost production.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Edvinsson, Kasper and Danielson are an instant no deal. Kasper just had a great season in the SHL and Detroit have high hopes for him.
Of course they are an instant no deal, they’re extremely valuable.

Kasper is who the Sens were taking at 7th, without an ounce of question.

That’s the value that was placed on that pick.

Sens aren’t getting that value back, but Kubalik, Berggren and Bos 1st isn’t anywhere close to that value.

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc

I agree with you and I don't think the other poster was implying that Kasper should be on the table.

The question he asked was important to the point he was making though. Given the option between the two packages, which would you rather give up if hypothetically you had to pick one of them? If you prefer to give up the Berggren package, one could conclude that you value Kasper more than that package.

Kasper + 2nd + 3rd is essentially what Ottawa gave up for DeBrincat last offseason.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Why would I even watch that? Just more "insiders' who think they know what's going on, but the reality is, no one knows but Dorion and a couple of other GMs.

We might not know what the exact situation is behind the scenes but we can all agree that it's not a good one based on the cold hard facts surrounding the situation.

- Debrincat has all the leverage here. If he gets traded he can pick and choose his destination based on his willingness to sign a contract.

- The Sens do not have enough cap space to bring him back and complete the roster for next year without making at least another trade to clear some cap.

- If he comes back, he's making approx 8M a year and needs to be traded by the deadline. How many contenders will have 8 M available to fit him in and what's the market for him at the deadline?

- The Sens are desperately trying to make the playoffs this year. Trading him at the deadline also becomes problematic because they'll need him if he's here or they'll need someone to replace him.

- If we go with the scenario that he comes back in Ottawa, what happens if he gets an injury that takes him out for the year? Sens lose him for nothing and we've seen a big injury with Norris just last season.

Honestly all the pressure is on Ottawa here. I'm a Sens fan and I hate to say it but the worst possible scenario has materialized. Not only is DBC not willing to re-sign but he also only wants to sign in select places, most of them are not interested in him or can't fit him. Not only that, but the cap situation for this season is not helping anyone. He had an average season for his standards which brings the price lower and we just saw 2 teams hammer each other in the finals, what do you give for a smaller winger? This mixture of Dorion lack of foresight, bad luck, DBC leverage, average production last season and etc is the perfect storm against the Sens.

I don't blame teams for playing hardball. There is virtually no market for Debrincat at this stage. A team will acquire a really really good young player for pennies on the dollar here. If I'm Yzerman I have no problem waiting until arbitration and telling Dorion listen this is the deal take it or leave it, it's probably the best deal you will have from this point on and risk only increases for Ottawa going forward. I'll sign DBC in free agency next year if I can and I move on with my roster for the year. If you don't then good luck making things fit for next season

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
We might not know what the exact situation is behind the scenes but we can all agree that it's not a good one based on the cold hard facts surrounding the situation.

- Debrincat has all the leverage here. If he gets traded he can pick and choose his destination based on his willingness to sign a contract.

- The Sens do not have enough cap space to bring him back and complete the roster for next year without making at least another trade to clear some cap.

- If he comes back, he's making approx 8M a year and needs to be traded by the deadline. How many contenders will have 8 M available to fit him in and what's the market for him at the deadline?

- The Sens are desperately trying to make the playoffs this year. Trading him at the deadline also becomes problematic because they'll need him if he's here or they'll need someone to replace him.

- If we go with the scenario that he comes back in Ottawa, what happens if he gets an injury that takes him out for the year? Sens lose him for nothing and we've seen a big injury with Norris just last season.

Honestly all the pressure is on Ottawa here. I'm a Sens fan and I hate to say it but the worst possible scenario has materialized. Not only is DBC not willing to re-sign but he also only wants to sign in select places, most of them are not interested in him or can't fit him. Not only that, but the cap situation for this season is not helping anyone. He had an average season for his standards which brings the price lower and we just saw 2 teams hammer each other in the finals, what do you give for a smaller winger? This mixture of Dorion lack of foresight, bad luck, DBC leverage, average production last season and etc is the perfect storm against the Sens.

I don't blame teams for playing hardball. There is virtually no market for Debrincat at this stage. A team will acquire a really really good young player for pennies on the dollar here.

Sort of hoping now that the Sens burn DBC by paying the arbitration award but then send him down.

Reactions: Renopucker

Christien

May 1, 2010
Tied with Ottawa.
F0d7t0dXsAUSK8B.jpg

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

I don't blame teams for playing hardball. There is virtually no market for Debrincat at this stage. A team will acquire a really really good young player for pennies on the dollar here. If I'm Yzerman I have no problem waiting until arbitration and telling Dorion listen this is the deal take it or leave it, it's probably the best deal you will have from this point on and risk only increases for Ottawa going forward. If you don't then good luck making things fit for next season
You are missing one option - Ottawa gets him under 8m thru arbitration and trades him with retention. Assuming a sign and trade can’t be completed (my expectation) that is how to maximize value from the Sens perspective.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You are missing one option - Ottawa gets him under 8m thru arbitration and trades him with retention. Assuming a sign and trade can’t be completed (my expectation) that is how to maximize value from the Sens perspective.

The lowest they can get him is 7.85M, so under 8M is splitting hairs. He's getting 8M give or take. We're talking about 150K less than 8M in the best of scenarios. Sens are already close to the cap. They can trade him with retention after July 1rst only. At that point chances are you trade him as a rental.

If you trade him you need someone to take his spot and teams trading for a rental will look to add to their roster and not substract key players.

This is not considering that the Sens will sit at approximately 3.5M over the cap if he comes back at 7.85M. so that means they need to trade someone and teams will see Ottawa coming from a mile away.

And again what happens if he gets injured. Do you take that risk?

This is not a good option. This is a last resort. Again if I'm Yzerman I call Dorion's bluff here. You won't trade him? Okay fine good luck with making your roster cap compliant and substracting from your current non-existant depth. I'll sign Debrincat in the summer...

Last edited:
Reactions: Armourboy

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Noone is questioning that, thts a universally agreed upon fact. They are questioning that what they gave up is less than Kubalik + Berggren + Bost 1st…
I think that's about what they gave up. More or less. Don't think Sens will fetch the price they gave though.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Thats pretty much what Ottawa's going to have to do if he's not moved to Detroit soon. Doesn't seem like he'll extend anywhere else, or he should probably be a Duck right now playing in Cali.

Sens aren't getting what he's worth most likely. Everyone knows they're over a barrel walking to the situation from a mile away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad