Confirmed with Link: DeBrincat signs for 4 year, $7.875 per year extension)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Okay I just got it translated. Apparently Kubalik was moreso dragging on Detroit proper, not the entire metro area:

At the end of the interview she was asking him about the difference between Detroit and Chicago fans, he said that Detroit fans scare him a bit more. Then (roughly translated):

Moderator: I've heard you're not really okay with Detroit.

Kubalik: I am okay.

M: I mean, with the club sure, but you didn't really get attached to the city.

K: Well, it's not very likable overall, there aren't many people anyway, so, the guys also know it's not really great there. So we mostly go there just to play matches. Otherwise we were there twice... was nice [[with a tone hinting that it really isn't great, just... nicell. We live 25 km away from there, so... yeah, fine.

M: So what should I visit in Detroit if I happened to be there?

K: Well there's a nice shopping mall...

Reactions: Henkka

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kubalik in 283 NHL games has 82 goals and scores a goal every .29 games and is at .57 ppg. DeBrincat in 450 NHL games has 187 goals and scores a goal ever .42 games and is at .83 ppg.

He is a better goal scorer and passer in a considerable sample size. He should be our 1st line left winger, that is his role on this team. We actually did see Kubalik in the LW role on the Larkin line at times last year. I think you're going to see a big upgrade with DeBrincat there for Larkin and Raymond. He will finish a lot of their plays and hit them driving the net in terms of something he does very well.
IMG_5805.jpeg

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
People don't f***ing read, dude. They just don't. They see one two words and fly off the handle.

Here is the quote in question. "Here's hoping coach uses him, otherwise we paid a hefty price for a shorter Kubalik."

You see those bold words there in front of the comma? If DeBrincat got less than 15 minutes a night mostly with some combination of Copp/Veleno/Suter as his center he'd be hard pressed to score 20+25. And it's not like Lalonde has a great track record with small defensively suspect offensive forwards. His paycheck might stem the BS a bit, but again. If he's asked to "manage his game" good luck getting 40+ goals.

Derek Lalonde likes winning. The winning play when you have a sniper like Debrincat is to put him in the position to score (top line, PP time).

Your argument is a complete non sequitur because Lalonde isn’t going to deploy him like that. That’s like “oh if Larkin wasn’t centering the top line and got 15 minutes a night, he wouldn’t score 73 points.”

Which is obvious. It is also obvious that Alex Debrincat is a whole lot better than Dominik Kubalik and might be the best offensive forward on the entire roster.

Coaches, counter to what all you people think, don’t like losing hockey games.

Yes, and?
And going “wah wah wah if they play Debrincat like a third liner he won’t score like a first liner”.

The Wings haven’t had a scorer of his caliber in a very long time. So they’re not going to bury him. You’re griping about the move based on your fears of what the coach will do.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Derek Lalonde likes winning. The winning play when you have a sniper like Debrincat is to put him in the position to score (top line, PP time).

Your argument is a complete non sequitur because Lalonde isn’t going to deploy him like that. That’s like “oh if Larkin wasn’t centering the top line and got 15 minutes a night, he wouldn’t score 73 points.”

Which is obvious. It is also obvious that Alex Debrincat is a whole lot better than Dominik Kubalik and might be the best offensive forward on the entire roster.

Coaches, counter to what all you people think, don’t like losing hockey games.
Just like he did with Kubalik. Until he didn't anymore.

Coaches, some of them anyway, do not like fully utilizing offensive players when there's "managing of games" to be done.

I fully hope that DeBrincat gets more and better opportunities to score than Kubalik. Everyone make sure not to skip over this sentence. I fully hope that DeBrincat gets more and better opportunities to score than Kubalik. There, said it twice.

But I get the sense with the length of time this "super obvious trade" took and the subsequent squeezing on the contract, that 1. Yzerman is not entirely sold on the type of player that DeBrincat represents and 2. ditto Lalonde.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Love the deal……we essentially got a 1st line winger for an expiring contract turned 1st rounder, a low end UFA signing, a low end prospect, and a 4th. I was prepared to loose JB, pumped to see we didn’t have to!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Barring injury bug, this is undoubtedly a playoff team.

Replacing Bertuzzi, Kubalik, Zadina with Debrincat, Compher, Sprong, Fischer, and Kostin significantly improves both the offensive floor and ceiling. Factor in the expected jump in development from guys like Raymond, Berggren, Veleno, Soderblum, Ras; plus the potential addition of a hot Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi in GR (though not necessarily expected or likely), this is a playoff caliber forward group.

The defensive group has improved (on paper) as well. We’d still expect a year 3 jump from Seider, if you can imagine that. Walman seems to still be scratching the surface on his potential too. Sub Ghost for Hronek, and Maata will Maata. Holl signing still up for debate, but he’s easily better than any 6th D they put out last year. Also, you could do worse than a Chiarot as (arguably) your worst defenseman. Again, looking at the pipeline in GR, there’s going to be a few names where if you told me they are up with the big club at any point during the season, I would not be shocked.

Trending up are the Wings. Caps, Pens, Flyers, and even Tampa are trending down.

This isn't a playoff team, its a bubble team that will need a lot of luck to make it to being first round fodder this season. The east still has a lot of good teams, with the Lightning, Leafs and Panthers likely locking up the top 3 spots in the Atlantic. That leaves Detroit fighting it out with the Bruins, Sabres, Devils, Sens, Pens, and potentially the Caps and Flyers for the two wildcard spots.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Just like he did with Kubalik. Until he didn't anymore.

Coaches, some of them anyway, do not like fully utilizing offensive players when there's "managing of games" to be done.

I fully hope that DeBrincat gets more and better opportunities to score than Kubalik. Everyone make sure not to skip over this sentence. I fully hope that DeBrincat gets more and better opportunities to score than Kubalik. There, said it twice.

But I get the sense with the length of time this "super obvious trade" took and the subsequent squeezing on the contract, that 1. Yzerman is not entirely sold on the type of player that DeBrincat represents and 2. ditto Lalonde.

Or… orrr. Pierre Dorion was trying not to get his lunch eaten and Yzerman has, many times, said how much he doesn’t like 8 year contracts because you’re paying for several bad years in most cases. Even with all this, you get out to 27-28 and you’ve got like.. three guys signed on this team? Yzerman doesn’t get into bad contracts because he doesn’t give 8 years unless he’s fully invested in you being the face of the franchise type guy. He went there for Hedman, Stammer, and Vasilevskiy. Then, Kucherov who had won a Hart after repeatedly cutting the team a break

And dude, Debrincat is just a much more talented hockey player all around than Dominik Kubalik. He will get more and better opportunities because he’s a better hockey player.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Can't really find out what's the condition on that 1st?

I actually liked Kubalik, sad he is gone.

Detroit decides which one to give them if they retain both in '24. If Boston's becomes protected Detroit can elect to give them the '25 Boston pick (though if they are that bad, which they won't be, it would be better to hold onto the '25 pick and hope its a lottery pick).

Reactions: DamonDRW

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong, but based on the 1st round pick conditions, there is a theroretical chance the Wings dont pick in the first round next year. A slim one, but one none the less.
If Boston draft top 10 and Red Wings has very successful next season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Or… orrr. Pierre Dorion was trying not to get his lunch eaten and Yzerman has, many times, said how much he doesn’t like 8 year contracts because you’re paying for several bad years in most cases. Even with all this, you get out to 27-28 and you’ve got like.. three guys signed on this team? Yzerman doesn’t get into bad contracts because he doesn’t give 8 years unless he’s fully invested in you being the face of the franchise type guy. He went there for Hedman, Stammer, and Vasilevskiy. Then, Kucherov who had won a Hart after repeatedly cutting the team a break

And dude, Debrincat is just a much more talented hockey player all around than Dominik Kubalik. He will get more and better opportunities because he’s a better hockey player.
There's a world of difference between 8 and 4.

Yes, DeBrincat is better. I just don't believe it's the "lol he's 10x better" gap that some make it out to be. Equal deployment opportunities, Kubalik gets you 80-90% of the production that DeBrincat gives you. That's my point. But it's apparently wholly unreasonable.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
There's a world of difference between 8 and 4.

Yes, DeBrincat is better. I just don't believe it's the "lol he's 10x better" gap that some make it out to be. Equal deployment opportunities, Kubalik gets you 80-90% of the production that DeBrincat gives you. That's my point. But it's apparently wholly unreasonable.

Nobody is trying to portray that he is 10x better except for you and the people that hate the deal. That you’d rather keep a worse player because he’s cheaper. (I.e. if the 9 million dollar player isn’t doubling the points of the 4.5M player, the 4.5M player is better to have on your roster

It is wholly unreasonable because Alex Debrincat is, without any question, a better, more well-rounded hockey player than Dominik Kubalik.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nobody is trying to portray that he is 10x better except for you and the people that hate the deal. That you’d rather keep a worse player because he’s cheaper. (I.e. if the 9 million dollar player isn’t doubling the points of the 4.5M player, the 4.5M player is better to have on your roster

It is wholly unreasonable because Alex Debrincat is, without any question, a better, more well-rounded hockey player than Dominik Kubalik.
Pro tip: avoid absolutes and read the threads. And I'm Ok with the trade. Again, read the threads. I'm not ok with people dunking on Kubalik as if he's devoid of talent. He's just as "well-rounded" as DeBrincat, just with less prime time ice time over his career. Both are pure offense. Willing but inept defensively. And willing to bang but not terribly effective at it.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I like this deal. Yzerman made sure to protect the Red Wings interests throughout the process.

It would have been easy to get overexcited about the situation/opportunity and pull the trigger prematurely on a trade/contract that might have been more in the interest of the player or Ottawa.

Reactions: FMichael

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I didn't really want Debrincat, but at this price, who could say no?

That is where I am at as well. I'd still rather have Horvat, but that ship has long sailed. DeBrincat, aka Shitty Kitty, has never been a player on my want list. But at least the games will be more entertaining if everyone manages to stay healthy and off of drugs.

So much for Chris Ilitch being cheap, lol. I said he'll spend if Stevie wants to.

Reactions: Henkka

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
That seems like a good move. I like the term, I like the return. Kubalik would have been demoted to a lower line with Debrincat so moving him is relatively cost free.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Cat was at his VERY best playing with Kane. So keep Cat with Larkin you will be fine. Cat is a good but not great player. You try and play him on any line other than with Larkin and he will disappear and from time-to-time scoring meaningless goals.

Keep Cat handcuffed to Larkin if you want to get the most value out of Debrincat.

As for Kane, I expect him to end up going home to Buffalo.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Cat was at his VERY best playing with Kane. So keep Cat with Larkin you will be fine. Cat is a good but not great player. You try and play him on any line other than with Larkin and he will disappear and from time-to-time scoring meaningless goals.

Keep Cat handcuffed to Larkin if you want to get the most value out of Debrincat.

As for Kane, I expect him to end up going home to Buffalo.

Your sure about that? He did pretty good aside of star talent in Ottawa. 66 pts and played with a rookie center all year. Not saying he is a star, but 66 pts on a new team with out significant 5 on 5 time with the top center is pretty darn good.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Your sure about that? He did pretty good aside of star talent in Ottawa. 66 pts and played with a rookie center all year. Not saying he is a star, but 66 pts on a new team with out significant 5 on 5 time with the top center is pretty darn good.
I for one wouldn’t be surprised to see all 3 of DeBrincat/Larkin/Raymond hitting 70 plus points this upcoming season.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad