Player Discussion David Savard

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I think it's a mix of a few things

a) he's being given more opportunities, because of injuries and our young D group

b) he seems to have improved his mobility by dropping a few lbs

c) he's playing with a guy in Guhle who can hold his own, and has high end skating to help him out of jams

I also think playing with Savard is good for Guhle.

All in all he's been really good for us so far.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
He looks to have lose some weight or improved something that I dont know. Last year he was looking like a next Alzner. He is skating faster than last year and block many shots. Good pairing with Guhle , he looks like the defender TB had 2 years ago
He changed his off-season training and worked a lot more on his cardio because he knew what kind of up tempo game MSL wanted to play. The end result is better mobility.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
He's our only "player moving defenceman" in the crease at the moment so of course he's appreciated and sticks out in games. Otherwise, he's fulfilling his contract.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He looks to have lose some weight or improved something that I dont know. Last year he was looking like a next Alzner. He is skating faster than last year and block many shots. Good pairing with Guhle , he looks like the defender TB had 2 years ago
He came in at almist 250 last year. Hes still a big boy but he clearly lost some weight.

Id still look to move him or Math/Edm though.

Reactions: Hins77 and 26Mats

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He came in at almist 250 last year. Hes still a big boy but he clearly lost some weight.

Id still look to move him or Math/Edm though.

I'd move Edmundson. Savard is a good vet and it looks like the kids like him. He also has more experience than the other two and won a cup and also had some good offensive seasons as well as solid defensively in his prime. As a mentor for Guhle, Harris et Xhekaj i think he suits our team better than Edmunson and Matheson.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd move Edmundson. Savard is a good vet and it looks like the kids like him. He also has more experience than the other two and won a cup and also had some good offensive seasons as well as solid defensively in his prime. As a mentor for Guhle, Harris et Xhekaj i think he suits our team better than Edmunson and Matheson.
Joel also won the cup and he seems well liked.

I dont really care who goes, but we cant keep all.of them.

Reactions: LaP

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
5pts in 11 games. 22:30 TOI. Decent underlying numbers.

Would be great if he can be this year's Chiarot and returns a 1st

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Really good player after all!

Beregevin did pretty well in building that Dcore:

Chiarot Weber
Edmundson Petry
Kulak Savard

Hughes has done well in dismantling it for a rebuild. I was hoping to get a 1st for each of Savard, Chiarot, Eddie, and Petry. So far, Matheson is better than a 1st, because he himself could now fetch a 1st. Chiarot got a 1st. I would move Savard for a 1st, but HuGo seem to want to keep him as a mentor. We'll see what becomes of Eddie, given his injuries.

Then Kulak for a 2nd and 7th was great. As was Weber's LTIR contract for the potential of Gurianov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would keep Matheson aswell. ByeBye Eddy. But Matheson and Savard are perfect to help young D.

Agreed. Don't hate Eddy but he don't fit our team strategy and style of play. I'm guessing but I think he goes in the Dubois package. If not, he's traded in another deal. He clutters our D too much at this point in time.

Matheson is interesting. Very creative with the puck and his skating is top notch. We may have found our next Petry (late bloomer in 25+ years). Who's to say Matheson can't improve even more? I've seen him improve this season alone.

Savard is a perfect piece to have for our kids IMO. Friends with Dubois as well. He's going nowhere

Reactions: Tyson

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Savard is such an important player to help these young D. He looks like a future coach the way he involves himself with these young players.

Agreed. I also have tons of respect that as a Quebec born player, he actually wanted to play here. He just came off a Stanley Cup and had interest around the league, but still chose to come here on a reasonable contract.

It was a nice change after being turned down by guys like Lecavalier/Briere in the past due to the pressure, and hopefully it leads to more Quebec born players having interest in coming here as free agents in the future.

Reactions: Guillermo and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad