Player Discussion David Savard

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Perhaps Bergey thought David Savard was a poor man’s version of Shea Weber. After all, Tampa gave up a No. 1 to Columbus for him.

There were some analyses that suggested Savard's play has been dropping pretty much vertically down the last 2-3 years. He may have been worth something when Tampa acquired him but they knew him well enough not to re-sign him. His last few games have been better, so we'll see.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Savard is a high IQ player who should thrive in MSL's system of reads. He has slowed down but can still be a very effective player and a great mentor for the kids as he understands the game in all 3 zones and has always been willing to pay the price to win games.

I think many of the posters on this site are entirely clueless to Savard's skillset and are not aware of how dominant he was in his D+1 season where he lead his entire team in scoring, won CHL dman of the year and led Moncton to a QMJHL championship and a berth into the Memorial Cup. Brisebois and the Lightning saw a big strong player who could think the game with their top offensive players. Savard has his limitations but is still a very useful player and now that Ducharme's reign of idiocy has ended he is showing why TB paid a steep price to acquire him and what MB saw in him.
His start of the season was rough but the whole team struggled. I'm pleasantly surprised by him since his return, he surely thrives in MSL system.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Savard is a high IQ player who should thrive in MSL's system of reads. He has slowed down but can still be a very effective player and a great mentor for the kids as he understands the game in all 3 zones and has always been willing to pay the price to win games.

I think many of the posters on this site are entirely clueless to Savard's skillset and are not aware of how dominant he was in his D+1 season where he lead his entire team in scoring, won CHL dman of the year and led Moncton to a QMJHL championship and a berth into the Memorial Cup. Brisebois and the Lightning saw a big strong player who could think the game with their top offensive players. Savard has his limitations but is still a very useful player and now that Ducharme's reign of idiocy has ended he is showing why TB paid a steep price to acquire him and what MB saw in him.

He's indeed a very good piece to keep around and mentor the next wave of defensemen coming up. I wouldn't trade he or Edmundson.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
1666350584619.png

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Had to go to the third page to find this thread, must be doing a good job

Should be on the second PP units and Guhle on the first

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Had to go to the third page to find this thread, must be doing a good job

Should be on the second PP units and Guhle on the first

I seem to recall back when he was a young guy that he had a very heavy shot.

Then again, the clapper is not exactly a trendy weapon these days.

DrBizz4r3

Oct 5, 2020
Perfectly fine player to have in a rebuild. Great locker room guy for the young guns and eventually a good 5-6 defenseman. Bonus points because PLD loved him and it will help our collective delirium on him in the lineup

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs need to keep him. He is a very good veteran for the young D-man. He play really well so far this season.

With so many young prospects doing well on the young side (heck Guhle, Harris, and Xhekaj may be able to hold down the left side for the next 15 years!) It makes sense to keep RD's and move LD's. So definitely Savard would be good to keep. Eddy can play the right.

If Matheson comes back and shines, he could be our biggest trade chip.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's taken a lot of flak. I'll add myself to the list. He's been a stabilizing force for our young D so far. If I'm management, I'm in no hurry to move him.

Reactions: jrom

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He's taken a lot of flak. I'll add myself to the list. He's been a stabilizing force for our young D so far. If I'm management, I'm in no hurry to move him.
To be fair,the flak was from last season,when they were aiming for a high draft pick,you can't really extrapolate much from last season as it was the objective to play poorly.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
To be fair,the flak was from last season,when they were aiming for a high draft pick,you can't really extrapolate much from last season as it was the objective to play poorly.
Yes, but it seemed to continue on to this season as well. It's only been the last few games where people are starting to notice, that's he's playing an important role.

Reactions: rik schau

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
That's on them,he's been solid all season,as has the defense in general.
Couldn't agree more. The funny thing is, in pre-season I had a feeling that we wouldn't be a bottom 3 team this year. The first question I was continuously asked was "Which team(s) have a worse defense than we do?"

It turns out, the defense has been more of a plus than a lot of people could have predicted. It's still early, so I'm not tooting my own horn yet. Though I believe that once everyone is back healthy. Our defense will be even stronger.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Couldn't agree more. The funny thing is, in pre-season I had a feeling that we wouldn't be a bottom 3 team this year. The first question I was continuously asked was "Which team(s) have a worse defense than we do?"

It turns out, the defense has been more of a plus than a lot of people could have predicted. It's still early, so I'm not tooting my own horn yet. Though I believe that once everyone is back healthy. Our defense will be even stronger.
There were so many question marks for so many teams,with so many changes I found it difficult to assess what a team will be from the onset. With the influx of new cogs and the loss of old ones,how will it all unfold. So far,Montreal has been better on defense as you said as expected.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
There were so many question marks for so many teams,with so many changes I found it difficult to assess what a team will be from the onset. With the influx of new cogs and the loss of old ones,how will it all unfold. So far,Montreal has been better on defense as you said as expected.
Agreed, there were so many teams up against that cap. That they weren't able to make the improvements they wanted. The Leafs goaltending situation being a prime example. While the Bruins without Marchand and McAvoy exploded out of the gates. Florida has no depth on their D and it showed when Ekblad and Montour went down with injuries.

Eventually things will settle down, as it's still early. But as of this moment, I can't see us being a bottom 3 team. I'm just hoping we win the lottery and the youngins keep improving.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Agreed, there were so many teams up against that cap. That they weren't able to make the improvements they wanted. The Leafs goaltending situation being a prime example. While the Bruins without Marchand and McAvoy exploded out of the gates. Florida has no depth on their D and it showed when Ekblad and Montour went down with injuries.

Eventually things will settle down, as it's still early. But as of this moment, I can't see us being a bottom 3 team. I'm just hoping we win the lottery and the youngins keep improving.
I'm surprised how Boston has started, I can handle that,just glad the Toronto is not off to a good start.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I'm surprised how Boston has started, I can handle that,just glad the Toronto is not off to a good start.
I thought for sure this would be the beginning of their downfall. You don't have to like them, but you have to respect how their team is built. Haha...when it comes to the Leafs. I'm an asshole, anytime they suffer. I laugh my ass off. :)

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad