Player Discussion David Savard

Jul 6, 2016
I do admit that he has played well with more usage while we are banged up. I don't hate the player but if we were cap tight and a playoff team, I would absolutely hate that contract. In rebuild narrative, he's not a bad guy to have around and we don't need cap space. Things have changed

Merrill was the guy I would have re-signed. And he's having a good season with the Wild too. Very on par with what Savard is providing but for $850k

Merrill was darn awful in his short period in Montreal. He is just playing for a team that is better this year than the Habs are.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Bergevin's evaluation of Savard scares me.

Actually, Bergevin's evaluation of all dmen scares me.
Perhaps Bergey thought David Savard was a poor man’s version of Shea Weber. After all, Tampa gave up a No. 1 to Columbus for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Merrill was darn awful in his short period in Montreal. He is just playing for a team that is better this year than the Habs are.

I don't think he was awful with the Habs in his 12-14 min a game. Blocks/60, Hits/60, Giveaway/60 and Takeaway/60 numbers don't reveal he was awful and yes I watched the games. I remember some saying Chiarot sucked too and those posters think we can get a 1st rounder for him today. And Merrill played with the Habs last year where we were a better team than this year so your point is meaningless.

The main point here before it slips into the ditch? Savard does not provide a major difference vs what Merrill can provide and the gap between these two is nowhere even close to the gap in their cap hits. I don't hate Savard and we can live with his contract in a rebuild but it would be a big problem if we were still a playoff team and cap tight.

I hope Savard hears the critics from me. He has played better lately so yeah, go prove me wrong. I want you to prove me wrong. I want $3.5M of value, not what you can get from a $1M guy

Reactions: dcyhabs

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Not really. Can you at least find a center and someone close to Suzuki's age?

What does age have to do with on-ice value?

Regardless, you can't infer on-ice value from a perfunctory glance at a stat line, nor make player comparisons on that basis because it completely discounts the team they play on and the broader context. For example on the Habs, there are a lot of players who are better than their stats would suggest because it has been a dumpster fire of a season since the start.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What does age have to do with on-ice value?

Regardless, you can't infer on-ice value from a perfunctory glance at a stat line, nor make player comparisons on that basis because it completely discounts the team they play on and the broader context. For example on the Habs, there are a lot of players who are better than their stats would suggest because it has been a dumpster fire of a season since the start.

Not worth continuing on for a 2nd day

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The problem with Savard is the same problem most of the habs pairings and lines have. Savard can be a fine lower pairing defenceman if he plays with a partner who can carry him a bit and make up for his weaknesses while being paid peanuts. There is probably nothing Savard can do to earn his current salary, it would take a massive change in his game, but he could look adequate if he played with someone both way better and way more mobile than he is.

Merrill is comparable quality, different role. Savard really needs someone to do pretty much everything except play the body, a bit like Komisarek with Markov. Merrill is more rounded, not necessarily better, still needs to play on a lower pairing, ideally needs to be carried a bit. Merrill is much more valuable than Savard now because he isn't ridiculously overpaid.

I'm really not sure how a GM looks at Weber and Savard in last year's playoffs and decides that they are comparable players.

Savard has some value, especially if the habs retain salary. He could probably help a less physical team, like, say, the Leafs.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Savard and Kessel goto the same trainer and nutrionalist?
#fatstrong

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Since he's been out,the goals are going in fast and furious, is/was he better than critiqued?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Savard is a high IQ player who should thrive in MSL's system of reads. He has slowed down but can still be a very effective player and a great mentor for the kids as he understands the game in all 3 zones and has always been willing to pay the price to win games.

I think many of the posters on this site are entirely clueless to Savard's skillset and are not aware of how dominant he was in his D+1 season where he lead his entire team in scoring, won CHL dman of the year and led Moncton to a QMJHL championship and a berth into the Memorial Cup. Brisebois and the Lightning saw a big strong player who could think the game with their top offensive players. Savard has his limitations but is still a very useful player and now that Ducharme's reign of idiocy has ended he is showing why TB paid a steep price to acquire him and what MB saw in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad