Player Discussion David Savard

Jul 6, 2016
Savard is unfortunately a #6 d-man at this stage of his career and should had not paid more than 2M $ per season.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Tampa Bay was good enough it didn't really matter if their sixth D was weak. The other four skaters were good enough that Savard didn't look too bad. He's not a guy you want to be counting on for much, and if he didn't have a cup ring even Bergevin probably wouldn't have overpaid him.

Maybe some habs players or coaches were impressed with him after the series?

Mcdonaldz

Jul 26, 2021
Add enough streams and eventually you have a river.
Add enough rivers eventually you drown in tears because 1.5 of money thats not yours is being overpaid to a guy playing two positions too high. This is like the least overpayment on the team lol

Last edited:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Add enough streams and eventually you have a river.

Yup. Overpay Savard, overpay Armia, overpay Leks, etc etc. Magically you have 5+ million to spend.

These types of guys are bringing play similar to what at worst, your draft and development should easily find

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Signing Savard was fine, playing him on the 2nd pairing with the likes of Romanov and Kulak was not. Chiarot was also not the answer, because Savard is not Weber.

Get him a top-4 LD with complementary skillset, or make Romanov - Savard a 3rd pairing and he's gonna be fine.

The management gambled on Romanov making a big step forward, or on a Chiarot - Savard pairing being effective, and they lost.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Signing Savard was fine, playing him on the 2nd pairing with the likes of Romanov and Kulak was not. Chiarot was also not the answer, because Savard is not Weber.

Get him a top-4 LD with complementary skillset, or make Romanov - Savard a 3rd pairing and he's gonna be fine.

The management gambled on Romanov making a big step forward, or on a Chiarot - Savard pairing being effective, and they lost.

This shows that he was quite good at even strength defence for a few years. Forcing shots outside and protecting the middle of the ice and slot. Could be an issue with the non system that Ducharme has in place. Remember Joel Edmundson was a lot better in St. Louis than in Carolina because one used man to man D and the other zone.

He’s been awful but I hope he can rebound a bit or he will be bought out real quick.

But I agree that his partner doesn’t help. How can someone have watched Chiarot and Weber last regular season and say you want that but worse. It’s idiotic thinking.

Reactions: Archijerej

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Couldn't find the current Savard thread so made a new one.

Decided to revisit a past statement on Savard. I don't hate the player but I hate the contract. I think he is an expensive fringe top 4D. Don't like his skating and when I heard we were thinking of signing him, I said I rather re-sign Merrill at a fraction of the cost. Don't matter in the end cause we are having a horrible season so we will have to live with the expensive Savard during a rebuild. Not a horrible situation but lets look at what these guys are producing this year so far.

Savard:
* Age 31
* 9 pts with 1 goal in 34 games
* 20:32 a game
* -10 rating
* 6.18 Hits/60
* 6.27 Blocks/60
* 2.66 Giveaways/60
* 0.51 Takeaways/60
* 41% corsi with 61% of D zone starts
* 4 years at $3.5M

Merrill:
* Age 29
* 11 pts with 3 goals in 33 games
* 17:20 a game
* +8 rating
* 2.62 Hits/60
* 5.35 Blocks/60
* 0.94 Giveaways/60
* 0.41 Takeaways/60
* 42% corsi with 61% of D zone starts
* 1 year at $850k

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
It looks like Savard and Kessel go to the same trainer @ FatsosRUs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Savard had a rough start but he's playing well the last 10-15 games and he's seem to be a good leader for the young players, I don't have any problem with him even if the contact is probably to long.

I do admit that he has played well with more usage while we are banged up. I don't hate the player but if we were cap tight and a playoff team, I would absolutely hate that contract. In rebuild narrative, he's not a bad guy to have around and we don't need cap space. Things have changed

Merrill was the guy I would have re-signed. And he's having a good season with the Wild too. Very on par with what Savard is providing but for $850k

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I do admit that he has played well with more usage while we are banged up. I don't hate the player but if we were cap tight and a playoff team, I would absolutely hate that contract. In rebuild narrative, he's not a bad guy to have around and we don't need cap space. Things have changed

Merrill was the guy I would have re-signed. And he's having a good season with the Wild too. Very on par with what Savard is providing but for $850k
If where going on a rebuild with all the young LD we having, having an experience guy RD like Savard will help the transition of those guys.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Not really a fair comparison IMO.

Comparing stats of a depth D on a winning team to a #4/5D on the worst team in the league that has been thrust into first pairing minutes due to injuries doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really a fair comparison IMO.

Comparing stats of a depth D on a winning team to a #4/5D on the worst team in the league that has been thrust into first pairing minutes due to injuries doesn't really make sense.

Except for that Savard is actually playing better in first pairing minutes lately vs what he did at the beginning of the year. Are you saying he produces more if the Habs were a playoff team and he was the 4th/5th guy? That makes no sense.

The comparison is fair cause I did not want to sign Savard to 4 years at that cap hit. Merrill can provide the same thing or close to it at $850k. I recall several posters jumping on my back for saying that and said to trust them on Savard.

Like I said, don't matter now cause we are not a playoff team but if were were and we were cap tight, that is not proper use of cap space on Savard when you can get that from Merrill at a fraction of the cost.

I do admit though, Savard with higher usage looks better lately

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Except for that Savard is actually playing better in first pairing minutes lately vs what he did at the beginning of the year. Are you saying he produces more if the Habs were a playoff team and he was the 4th/5th guy? That makes no sense.

The comparison is fair cause I did not want to sign Savard to 4 years at that cap hit. Merrill can provide the same thing or close to it at $850k. I recall several posters jumping on my back for saying that and said to trust them on Savard.

Like I said, don't matter now cause we are not a playoff team but if were were and we were cap tight, that is not proper use of cap space on Savard when you can get that from Merrill at a fraction of the cost.

I do admit though, Savard with higher usage looks better lately

Montreal has scored 73 goals and is -50

Minnesota has scored 122 goals and is +20

It makes no sense to compare their statistics given the context, especially production, plus/minus, and corsi. Do you really think Merril puts up 13 points and +8 if he swaps place with Savard?

I get the contract argument. If you just want a warm body for the bottom pairing, then ya, go with whoever has the better contract. But let's not point to their stats as some kind of evidence that one is better than the other.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal has scored 73 goals and is -50

Minnesota has scored 122 goals and is +20

It makes no sense to compare their statistics given the context, especially production, plus/minus, and corsi. Do you really think Merril puts up 13 points and +8 if he swaps place with Savard?

I get the contract argument. If you just want a warm body for the bottom pairing, then ya, go with whoever has the better contract. But let's not point to their stats as some kind of evidence that one is better than the other.

The stats show how they are close in value on the ice. No matter who they are playing for. Stats are close and salary is not. It reinforces the point.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The stats show how they are close in value on the ice. No matter who they are playing for. Stats are close and salary is not. It reinforces the point.

By that logic, Michael Bunting has similar on-ice value as Nick Suzuki.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad