Value of: David Savard at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Best offers will be at (next year’s) deadline for DS. Reading you correctly?
Thats why i dont get the driver’s seat comment. Having the luxury to receive bad offers?
It means Montreal can listen to offers, set a high price and feel no pressure to move him if the price isn't met.

Whereas, say, an expriring UFA, a team doesn't want to miss its chance before the buyer potentially moves on. Imagine if someone offers a 5th rounder for Pearson. Would Hughes dare say no in the hope of getting a 3d or 4th?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can see teams kicking tires on Savard. He'd be a decent addition for someone if you can push him down to a more appropriate role on the depth chart. A rugged, steady, stay-at-home tough minutes RHD is what pretty much half the league is looking to at trying to add.

However, i really don't see Montreal being all that interested in moving him. Because of his age and slowing down a bit, the price likely isn't going to be enough to outweigh his value as a bit of a sacrificial lamb, just getting caved in with top pairing type minutes to help shelter or insulate some of the various young defencemen the Habs are trying to break in to the league and establish.

Reactions: samsagat

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Driver’s seat, why is that? Having Savard, Barron and Kovacevic at rd is not exactly ideal.

I dont know Hugo like at all except he is a former agent, but i know honeymoon is not over. Was same thing with Bergevin. Trades for Allen, Anderson and even Dvorak were well received.
Driver's seat because he's in no hurry to trade Savard or Kovacevic. Not because of his roster at RD.

MTL is in full rebuild, the actual roster isn't really relevant aside from the young ones.

I don't know where your comparison with MB is coming from, but Hughes is smarter, more organised and he's sticking to the plan.

MB was a weathercock governed by his ego.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The extra year remaining on Savard’s contract is a major negative for this upcoming TDL. Most teams look for expiring contracts.

Could probably get a decent return with 50% retention. But does Montreal want to tie up their last retention slot for 2023-24 and two of their three slots for 2024-25?
Yeah.

The only other really player with value that might be moved is Monahan and being ufa it costs like a 4th to retain, so the acquiring team can send that to a 3rd team.

That's assuming the value is there with Savard retained.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If what you want could arguably acquire Chris Tanev, then it’s too much for David Savard

Only one team will be able to acquire Tanev. Once he’s gone, I can’t see a reason why Savard wouldn’t get a similar return from a team that has a need at RHD and is panicking.

I think if you are willing to retain on him you could get a really good return. Retain 50% and then some is getting this year and next year of Savard at 1.75M. That is worth a 1st.

The issue is do you use your 3rd and last retention slot on Savard? For a first I would.

Monahan probably moves at the deadline too but his salary is so low you don't need to retain to up his value.

Assuming you move monahan you want to keep Dvo so need to use it there. Armia? no amount of retention gets you any value back. Savard is the one guy with retention who gets you a 1st.
I doubt Hughes will want to retain on Savard. We are already using 2 retaining slots on Petry and Edmundson and a team is only allowed to have 3 at a given time. Most likely the last slot will be used on another asset to get a better return. My guess is its going to be on Dvorak.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Driver's seat because he's in no hurry to trade Savard or Kovacevic. Not because of his roster at RD.

MTL is in full rebuild, the actual roster isn't really relevant aside from the young ones.

I don't know where your comparison with MB is coming from, but Hughes is smarter, more organised and he's sticking to the plan.

MB was a weathercock governed by his ego.
What i mean is if you have depth at one position, now you are in a driver’s seat to trade whoever you wish. When you are not deep, well you play your guys.

As far as the gm, its pretty simple: at first most loved Bergevin, then it faded. Its same thing with every gm. At some point they are canned. And of course you prefer the next guy. Until you hate him.

Only one team will be able to acquire Tanev. Once he’s gone, I can’t see a reason why Savard wouldn’t get a similar return from a team that has a need at RHD and is panicking.

I doubt Hughes will want to retain on Savard. We are already using 2 retaining slots on Petry and Edmundson and a team is only allowed to have 3 at a given time. Most likely the last slot will be used on another asset to get a better return. My guess is its going to be on Dvorak.
Sean Walker. Nick Seeler. Thats only 1 team. Younger, cheaper. No term.
its more than Tanev.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What i mean is if you have depth at one position, now you are in a driver’s seat to trade whoever you wish. When you are not deep, well you play your guys.

As far as the gm, its pretty simple: at first most loved Bergevin, then it faded. Its same thing with every gm. At some point they are canned. And of course you prefer the next guy. Until you hate him.

Sean Walker. Nick Seeler. Thats only 1 team. Younger, cheaper. No term.
its more than Tanev.
Isn’t one of the great thing about Savard right now is that he’s got another year at a very reasonable cap and not just being a pure rental? Shouldn’t that make him more enticing to teams?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Isn’t one of the great thing about Savard right now is that he’s got another year at a very reasonable cap and not just being a pure rental? Shouldn’t that make him more enticing to teams?
Honestly i dont think so. A team might want Savard because they have an injured rd. They might also have prospects who could be ready next year. And only the playoff teams with a decent shot (not like the Flyers for example) so market aint that good imo.

pretty obvious ufa at tdl are gold.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Honestly i dont think so. A team might want Savard because they have an injured rd. They might also have prospects who could be ready next year. And only the playoff teams with a decent shot (not like the Flyers for example) so market aint that good imo.

pretty obvious ufa at tdl are gold.
But on the flip side team could have a good RHD for two playoff run instead of one. Also, these past couple of years, the players with 1 1/2 years left on their deal were more sought after than pure rentals, especially the ones with a low cap hit. They even went for a big premium

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
But on the flip side team could have a good RHD for two playoff run instead of one. Also, these past couple of years, the players with 1 1/2 years left on their deal were more sought after than pure rentals, especially the ones with a low cap hit. They even went for a big premium
Could be. I cant say if true or not. Not sure how to confirm that claim. Players with 1 more year fetching more than those expiring. Savard low cap? Maybe July 2nd 24 once the 500k bonus is paid but 3.5 cap still.

Anyway, to me Savard isnt moving this year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
L'importance de David Savard

Avec et sans lui

2022-2023
Avec : 27-31-4
Sans : 4-14-2
Total : 31-45-6

2023-2024
Avec : 5-2-2
Sans : 9-11-2
Total : 14-13-4

- Stéphane Laberge sur X

Sorry it's in french but I think you understand what it means (Habs results with and without Savard; avec = with him; sans = without him).

It's quite impressive.

He's the textbook defenseman teams are after comes the TD: Righty, big, experienced, does all the little things the right way.

He's obviously still effective and have another year at 3,5 mil, which is a good contract/good length.
Savard is good defense man. Montreal may hang onto him another year. Get that extra year out of him then deal him

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Is it a legit source site?

It's a legitimate site in the sense that they don't scam people, and it serves its purpose in a legal way.

Now, is it a good information site, with poignant and insightful content that one would use on day-to-day basis to keep oneself informed about Hockey and Canadiens news?

Short answer is "no", long answer is more of the same but with more detail on how flimsy and biased their commentary is.

But they don't distort sources, or at least not that I'm aware of, despite how they may choose to frame them into arguments that they make. It's not much to go by, but it's still something.

Last edited:
Reactions: pth2 and Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It's a legitimate site in the sense that they don't scam people, and it serves its purpose in a legal way.

Now, is it a good information site, with poignant and insightful content that one would use on day-to-day basis to keep oneself informed about Hockey and Canadiens news?

Short answer is "no", long answer is more of the same but with more detail on how flimsy and biased their commentary is.

But they don't distort sources, or at least not that I'm aware of, despite how they may choose to frame them into arguments that they make. It's not much to go by, but it's still something.
Thanks for the info

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Approved by who?

Approved must be approved by HFB/common sense to be considered legit source of rumours here…….bloggers. Twitte, FB, etc aren’t approved as legit sources Of true rumours.

Specfic rule is:

• Links and Sources - All rumors, confirmed transactions, and articles require links to be posted on the Trades Board. If one of these is posted without a link, it will be closed until one is provided. Please be very careful about what your source is.There are hundreds of fake Twitter accounts that will post fake tweets as true - do not post these here. We have a list of vetted sources that can break news - be sure any kind of confirmation is from one of those sources.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Approved must be approved by HFB to be considered legit source of rumours here…….bloggers. Twitte, FB, etc aren’t approved as legit sources Of true rumours
You trying to say that HFB is the know all of legit sources of rumors.
PLEASE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad