Value of: David Savard at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I kind of hope we hang onto Savard. He's pretty solid defensively. Where Habs have young D.

I would trade Matheson instead. Matheson the better player but Habs deep on left side.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
You think the Habs are competing for a playoffs spot next year? have you lost it? They will be lucky to be just competing for a wild card 3 years from now. They need to replace half the roster just to be thinking about being competitive for a wild card spot.
Tribalism alive and well, with a heavy dose of lack of reading comprehension. You are the perfect HF poster, all emotion, zero knowledge of the league.

What I actually wrote, hopefully I don't need to break down what the words mean, but will bold the key words so you can follow along:

"if MTL is wanting to compete for a playoff spot"

Also, they are 2 points back of a playoff spot today, 3 points back of Carolina, with the youngest team in the league. If you don't know anything about the team why feel the need to comment?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Long list of overvalued Habs players from that run that returned too much and went back to trash players. Only Lehkonen was legit.
I would argue that Kulak is also legit. He's a perfect bottom pair anchor who can move up to the 2nd pair if needed. A lot of people here think he's a bum, but he's a really good role player.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I would argue that Kulak is also legit. He's a perfect bottom pair anchor who can move up to the 2nd pair if needed. A lot of people here think he's a bum, but he's a really good role player.
Agreed. Kulak is what he is. Good skater, syring outlet pass. Essentially a great bottom pairing guy who isn't out of his depth if he has to play a little further up

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Tribalism alive and well, with a heavy dose of lack of reading comprehension. You are the perfect HF poster, all emotion, zero knowledge of the league.

What I actually wrote, hopefully I don't need to break down what the words mean, but will bold the key words so you can follow along:

"if MTL is wanting to compete for a playoff spot"

Also, they are 2 points back of a playoff spot today, 3 points back of Carolina, with the youngest team in the league. If you don't know anything about the team why feel the need to comment?
Tribalism? LMAO! Talk about projection.

Let's bold another part because you are having a hard time comprehending what you said "So if MTL is wanting to compete for a playoff spot as early as next year - and I think that is the plan". This is purely you speculation and your beliefs. You are not attributing this to anyone in particular in the Habs org.

It doesn't matter IF the WANT to compete for a playoff spot. It's not a choice. This isn't a good team. You can pretend the NHL point system that allows you to feel like they Habs are more comptetitve than they really are is a reality. Fact is they have 6 RW, 29th in SA/G, 24th in SF/G and have been out scored by 19 goals. The standing flatter them.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Kulak is good example. This board said most he was worth was a 4th. Habs got a 2nd and 7th. Chiarot they said most we could get was a 2nd. Habs got a 1st and 4th. Lekhonen they said most we could get was a 2nd. We got a recent first and a 2nd.

Notice those posters are same guys saying we can't get a first for Savard or Monahan now?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kulak is good example. This board said most he was worth was a 4th. Habs got a 2nd and 7th. Chiarot they said most we could get was a 2nd. Habs got a 1st and 4th. Lekhonen they said most we could get was a 2nd. We got a recent first and a 2nd.

Notice those posters are same guys saying we can't get a first for Savard or Monahan now?
I do notice that. It's interesting, because in retrospect, the Chairot deal was awful, and if Kulak hadn't re-signed in Edmonton, his would have been as well. I think most thought Kulak would go more for a 4th though - as an Oiler fan, I fully expected to pay more than a 4th before that deal was done, when we knew the team had interest. Lehkonen was fine and again, I think a lot of people knew he was going to go for more than you are suggesting.

I think there is something to be said about fair value, vs trade deadline value. Montreal bending Florida over for Chairot doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to do the same with Savard, and especially Monahan. I could see Savard because defensemen always seem to go for a premium at the deadline. Monahan? He doesn't bring anything really special to the table that couldn't be gotten out of other players who will be available.

But the deadline is nuts. So who really knows.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I do notice that. It's interesting, because in retrospect, the Chairot deal was awful, and if Kulak hadn't re-signed in Edmonton, his would have been as well. I think most thought Kulak would go more for a 4th though - as an Oiler fan, I fully expected to pay more than a 4th before that deal was done, when we knew the team had interest. Lehkonen was fine and again, I think a lot of people knew he was going to go for more than you are suggesting.

I think there is something to be said about fair value, vs trade deadline value. Montreal bending Florida over for Chairot doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to do the same with Savard, and especially Monahan. I could see Savard because defensemen always seem to go for a premium at the deadline. Monahan? He doesn't bring anything really special to the table that couldn't be gotten out of other players who will be available.

But the deadline is nuts. So who really knows.
The value of Monahan is the package of skills he brings at a very low cap hit. He's money in the faceoff circle. Is a perfect 3C in that he is defensively responsible but can play up the lineup in the event of an injury and can contribute on the pp if needed.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Come on man.
Anderson might have value this summer if he shows he is back at a 20+ goal pace in the meantime, but right now... his value is the lowest it's ever been.
I didn't think i needed the :sarcasm: That post was responding to a ...... You know the type.

That has about as much chance at happening as you buying my left sock for $1000
I see some are gullible. Next time i'll post the :sarcasm:

Reactions: pth2

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
L'importance de David Savard

Avec et sans lui

2022-2023
Avec : 27-31-4
Sans : 4-14-2
Total : 31-45-6

2023-2024
Avec : 5-2-2
Sans : 9-11-2
Total : 14-13-4

- Stéphane Laberge sur X

Sorry it's in french but I think you understand what it means (Habs results with and without Savard; avec = with him; sans = without him).

It's quite impressive.

He's the textbook defenseman teams are after comes the TD: Righty, big, experienced, does all the little things the right way.

He's obviously still effective and have another year at 3,5 mil, which is a good contract/good length.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
L'importance de David Savard

Avec et sans lui

2022-2023
Avec : 27-31-4
Sans : 4-14-2
Total : 31-45-6

2023-2024
Avec : 5-2-2
Sans : 9-11-2
Total : 14-13-4

- Stéphane Laberge sur X

Sorry it's in french but I think you understand what it means (Habs results with and without Savard; avec = with him; sans = without him).

It's quite impressive.

He's the textbook defenseman teams are after comes the TD: Righty, big, experienced, does all the little things the right way.

He's obviously still effective and have another year at 3,5 mil, which is a good contract/good length.
Numbers…

I doubt DS has anything to do with the team’s excellent OT and SO numbers. 26 pts in 16 games.
Not playing in ot, not shooting.
10-0-6 with DS on bench.

Maybe you should put the overtime stats in the « without » column since DS has nothing to do with the extra points team get once 60 mins are done.

Now do Matheson…

No need to get mad. Only numbers. Dont get into the whiny Habs hating crap.

Reactions: Conbon and TS Quint

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Actually, I think the one who will be traded will be Kovacevic: righty, even bigger, does all little things the right way, He misses the experience of Savard, but his salary is 767k and he is just 26 years old, so you can use him as your 3rd pair guy for next 5 years easily.
Savard has more value for Montreal internally, because of his experience and he is local.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Where is this no respect nonsense coming from?

We're here to speak about hockey, for fun.

I don't know where's this necessity to belittle others comes from, but it's very present here on hf board.

As far as I'm concerned, it's childish.
Especially close to Christmas. Its present everywhere my good sir, not a HF main board thing.

Agree on the Kovacevic comment above. 4x cheaper. 7 yrs younger. Bigger. Available. As useful in ot and so.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not sold on the idea of moving Kovasevic... I figure one of him or Savard might be moved this year, the other next year, depending on how Reinbacher and Mailloux progress. But I have to think Reinbacher is going to be given every possible chance. I guess management's estimate of the progress of those 2 will have more influence on who gets moved, when. If management thinks one of Mailloux and Reinbacher is a sure top-4 option next season, Savard might get moved, but if they see them as needing seasoning on a 3d pairing, Kovasevic might get moved if there's some kind of return.

Savard is a more reliable defensive option, who can play hard PK minutes, and that is worth a premium as a rental/quasi-rental. Kovasevic is a nice cheap depth option, but just won't return the same kind of assets.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Especially close to Christmas. Its present everywhere my good sir, not a HF main board thing.

Agree on the Kovacevic comment above. 4x cheaper. 7 yrs younger. Bigger. Available. As useful in ot and so.
Mmmm, it must be Christmas all year long on HF board then...😁😏😉

But I agree with your point on Kovacevic.
But it's not one against the other, both can have a fairly good value comes the TD.

Which value?

It's up to debate, but imho it would be between a 2nd + b/c prospect and a late first.
Depending on the market, but big, physical, defensively reliable RHD are always in high demand at this time of the year...

P.S.: knowing Hu-Go, they won't sell those players untill an offer match the price they have set for them.

As there's no hurry since both have 1year left to their contract

They're in the driver's seat.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He's useful to Montreal because he and Matheson both basically act as a dam between Montreal's young D and the absolute river of shit they'd be in for facing team's top lines consistently, but if anyone is acquiring him to play in their top 4 regularly they are sorely mistaken as he's just not very good. Zadorov just went for a 3rd + 5th because no good teams could afford him at 3.75 - Savard makes 250K less and is a worse player, if Montreal gets a 1st for him someone has been swindled beyond belief and I will grit my teeth and suffer through Gustav Lindstrom NHL minutes for the cause
Is Savard really worse than Zadorov tho? Outside of the big hits, I'm not sure. I think I prefer Savard, proven winner, better IQ, more disciplined.
That being said, I don't expect a first unless we retain and take a dump back.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Is Savard really worse than Zadorov tho? Outside of the big hits, I'm not sure. I think I prefer Savard, proven winner, better IQ, more disciplined.
That being said, I don't expect a first unless we retain and take a dump back.
I would say so, Zadorov is a better skater and puck mover and has proven recently to be able to stay healthier. I don't have anything handy but I know Marc Dumont has posted a bunch of stats in articles that show all the young D have struggled more next to Savard than anyone else. People on this board can't even seem to agree that Tanev would return a first and he's worlds better than Savard, so I just can't imagine anyone lining up for him

EDIT: Even if Savard might have a little more value around the league (which honestly I'd be surprised by), I think the Zadorov deal makes it pretty clear that Savard doesn't have anywhere near first value which is my main point. All for trading him this summer at 50% and trying to bring in an upgraded version of him on the short term (Tanev, Roy, Pesce) but I doubt anyone would pony up the value to justify using the final retention slot and opening the hole he'd leave for the rest of the year

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Mmmm, it must be Christmas all year long on HF board then...😁😏😉

But I agree with your point on Kovacevic.
But it's not one against the other, both can have a fairly good value comes the TD.

Which value?

It's up to debate, but imho it would be between a 2nd + b/c prospect and a late first.
Depending on the market, but big, physical, defensively reliable RHD are always in high demand at this time of the year...

P.S.: knowing Hu-Go, they won't sell those players untill an offer match the price they have set for them.

As there's no hurry since both have 1year left to their contract

They're in the driver's seat.
Driver’s seat, why is that? Having Savard, Barron and Kovacevic at rd is not exactly ideal.

I dont know Hugo like at all except he is a former agent, but i know honeymoon is not over. Was same thing with Bergevin. Trades for Allen, Anderson and even Dvorak were well received.

Reactions: TS Quint

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Driver’s seat, why is that? Having Savard, Barron and Kovacevic at rd is not exactly ideal.

I dont know Hugo like at all except he is a former agent, but i know honeymoon is not over. Was same thing with Bergevin. Trades for Allen, Anderson and even Dvorak were well received.
He literally said why: both Kovacevic and Savard have another year on their deals. If no interesting offers come in at the deadline, there is no rush to accept any offer.

That being said, I expect the best offers to be at the deadline, and if Hughes wants to create room on RD then if he didn’t move at the deadline, at the draft the pressure will be on him to get something for some of the D.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
He literally said why: both Kovacevic and Savard have another year on their deals. If no interesting offers come in at the deadline, there is no rush to accept any offer.

That being said, I expect the best offers to be at the deadline, and if Hughes wants to create room on RD then if he didn’t move at the deadline, at the draft the pressure will be on him to get something for some of the D.
Best offers will be at (next year’s) deadline for DS. Reading you correctly?
Thats why i dont get the driver’s seat comment. Having the luxury to receive bad offers?

Doesnt matter for JK as he is at league minimum. Salary given by the team who then waived him. Now 3rd pair on weak team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad