Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
One spent the entire summer in Mtl working with Adam Nicholas (Struble), the other disappeared to parts unknown
Maybe he was able to hang out with some of those old school WWF stars from the 80s and 90s who hailed from there, and bulk up.
I continue to see Reinbacher as the right handed shot version of Mattias Ekholm. Smart, steady, physical. Can step up offensively, but more relied upon for being a defensive rock that matches up against top forwards. Breaks up plays and moves the puck well out of the zone which will transition into many assists.

I see the future D pairings looking something like:
Guhle - ____
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

I suspect Hughes will add a right hand shot defender with one of the two first round picks coming up in 2025, and the guy I’ve got my eye on is Charlie Trethewey. He has great vision, is an elite two way defender, hits like a truck, has a terrific shot. All the tools to be a top pairing defender for years. Keep an eye on this kid, I like him a lot.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
“The things I do on the ice, I can’t influence stuff out of the ice, you know what I mean? I just try to go on the ice, do my best. The things I can influence are on the ice, with and without the puck, and that’s what I try to do. The rest, I just leave it,” he said. “If the stuff from outside influences you, you’ll probably have a hard time. So just stick to yourself, believe in yourself and do the stuff you can do.”

Except that quote, even if he didn’t mean it this way, also applies to his game on the ice. Reinbacher’s strength as a player is his efficiency. When he’s at his best, he kills plays and makes sure the puck moves in the right direction without being flashy. It is a game rooted in simplicity, which the Canadiens had to remind him of last season when director of player development Rob Ramage made a visit to Kloten and showed Reinbacher video of Shea Weber to prove that simple can be highly effective.

“Simple plays, moving the puck fast, denying all the plays from the opponent, do the box outs, do the defensive part that is asked from the coaches and the staff,” Reinbacher said. “I’m just trying to do that.”

You might have felt Reinbacher looked disappointing over the weekend because he didn’t pop with any highlight-reel stuff. But if you’re expecting to see Reinbacher pop in a prospect game, you’re expecting him to do something he was not drafted to do and something he’s been specifically told not to do.

His strength to the Canadiens, the reason they drafted him so high, is his ability to make plays that specifically don’t pop but that lead to his team playing on offence more and on defence less. It’s the accumulation of good decisions and good actions over time that make him pop. None of the individual decisions necessarily do, but collectively they help a team win.

By understanding and accepting that at such a young age, Reinbacher is showing tremendous growth.

- Arpon Basu
This is what we saw in Laval for the most part in those 11 games. It was no Fluke he ended up a +6.
We all know +/- isn't a perfect individual stat but it is a team stat and ultimately get on the right side of it or flounder.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Fair enough. I just remember McDonagh. Can't judge too quickly.

Oh we can even go back as far as Sergachev, his first appearance here wasn't great it does take time for sure. I'll see what DR does at training camp, I thought he would stand out a bit more in the two day tourney that's all.

Reactions: Licou

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For a 20 year old 5th overall pick who has played few seasons against men, he looked pretty underwhelming considering the quality of the tourney.
Did you watch the 11 games he played down the stretch in Laval where he scored a highlight reel goal in a must win game against Belleville? That occurred in his 1st AHL game. He finished with 5 points and was a plus 6. He also was on the 1st PK unit in game one through the 11 games. That's the sample size you should look at instead of 2 meaningless games.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Did you watch the 11 games he played down the stretch in Laval where he scored a highlight reel goal in a must win game against Belleville? That occurred in his 1st AHL game. He finished with 5 points and was a plus 6. He also was on the 1st PK unit in game one through the 11 games. That's the sample size you should look at instead of 2 meaningless games.

And even then he was great in the 2 games.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I have a bad feeling that this kid will be a whipping boy for years to come no matter how good he becomes.
I hope this forum is not like that. It's our job to defend the kid. Bashers will get tired one day or maybe if Mich is becoming a bust they will stop.
Rein will never become an Ovechkin, he's not a forward, it should be obvious for anybody but he could become a Pietrangelo or a Seabrook. That's the reason he was picked and that's allright !

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I didn't see reinbacher play today and I'm not buying the doom, But I caught a bit of michkov and man he is the real deal he looks so special. Imagine michkov and demidov....
It could be but I think his game is pretty mature. I would not be suprised if he was up in the NHL midway through the season once he is adapted to the smaller ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Gotta go with the Snake Boisvert take here : rookie tournament games mean nothing at all. Look good, I don’t care, look bad I don’t care either.

Hell, even preseason can be misleading. Norlinder had a great camp last year

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Gotta go with the Snake Boisvert take here : rookie tournament games mean nothing at all. Look good, I don’t care, look bad I don’t care either.

Hell, even preseason can be misleading. Norlinder had a great camp last year
I thought Norlinder was ass last year during camp. Never understood the comments saying he was good. I'm seeing the same thing regarding Mailloux's 2 games, which is just as puzzling.

Reactions: jrom and Kojo

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
South Shore

Hell, even preseason can be misleading
. Norlinder had a great camp last year

Remember when Logan Cooley scored a great spinorama goal in the preseason and Slafkovsky was a bust? I memba'.​

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Honestly, yeah. I haven't thought about Michkov since like last November or something when DR was struggling and have pretty much exiled him from my mind since the Demidov pick.

All we did was essentially switch drafts. If we take Michkov last year, we don't take Demidov this year and probably take a big D. There is literally no point in worrying about Michkov at all.

I didn't like the Reinbacher pick because I think you should always shoot for upside, especially in a top 5 pick. But if he turns into a steady minutes eater that is a staple in our top 4, then I'll at least be fine with it.
It’s the kind of player you win with

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought Norlinder was ass last year during camp. Never understood the comments saying he was good. I'm seeing the same thing regarding Mailloux's 2 games, which is just as puzzling.

Norlinder in last years preseason game was way more impressive then anything Mailloux did in these 2 games as he didn't do much but that's actually good for him imo.

Reactions: Tyson

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I believe it was Osgood Schlatters . I had similar as a teen growing 8 inches in a year
My brother and i both got that, was pretty awful for a few years

Meh, watched a half dozen. I would have never taken him over Demidov, not in a million years. Would take him over Reinbacher 10/10 times though, and I'm don't think I'm alone
You need to stop lusting after that russian manlet, he doesn’t belong to us

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
My brother and i both got that, was pretty awful for a few years

You need to stop lusting after that russian manlet, he doesn’t belong to us

Exactly.....they should just make a thread for the Michkov nonsense so we can segregate that conversation from the rest of the board. I can then choose to ignore that thread and Voila! ....it will disappear.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Exactly.....they should just make a thread for the Michkov nonsense so we can segregate that conversation from the rest of the board. I can then choose to ignore that thread and Voila! ....it will disappear.
It's tiresome that every prospect thread that has anything to do with Reinbacher, Michkov or Demidov all turns into the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad