Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd invite posters who don't see talent in Reinbacher to watch old Weber videos (like Nashville Weber). I am not talking about videos of him punishing players or bombing the puck. Just video of Weber's man-to-man coverage.

Visually, it wasn't anything mind-blowing. Weber's gap control and angling was flawless. You basically couldn't beat him one-on-one at the blue line, you had to dump in the puck. Weber used his size to secure and protect the loose puck and then made a good first pass either out of the zone, or to his d-partner.

This is what Reinbacher will bring. It's not sexy at all, but it's effective. I suspect some fans will never appreciate this, partly because it's such a subtle talent, and because they won't get over not selecting Michkov.

My buddy and I were talking about this and Reinbacher is a good barometer for those who actually know puck. So much of what he does is the subtle, nuanced things that win possessions, win shifts, and win games but don't jump off the screen.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
My buddy and I were talking about this and Reinbacher is a good barometer for those who actually know puck. So much of what he does is the subtle, nuanced things that win possessions, win shifts, and win games but don't jump off the screen.
Exactly and he is already elite at it.

Honestly, he will go to the AHL to get adjusted to north america hockey, develop his confidence at this level and get 25 mins a game with PP1 and PK1.

If all we wanted was a shutdown defenseman to play 25 mins, he is ready now. As I told my friends after going to the games this past weekend, he seems vanilla on first impression but then you realized he completely controls the ice/defensive end when he is on.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Exactly and he is already elite at it.

Honestly, he will go to the AHL to get adjusted to north america hockey, develop his confidence at this level and get 25 mins a game with PP1 and PK1.

If all we wanted was a shutdown defenseman to play 25 mins, he is ready now. As I told my friends after going to the games this past weekend, he seems vanilla on first impression but then you realized he completely controls the ice/defensive end when he is on.

I think the main reason he will go to the AHL to start the reason is that Barron is waiver required, so that buys Barron some time and I think they are still sensitive to the Michkovian nonsense, they'll likely want him to be overripe before they call him up unless there's injuries forcing their hands.

Not sure why everyone is so sensitive to hot takes. If you trust Reinbacher you need to act like it and stop reacting to dumbass takes. Otherwise you're just being blowhards in the other direction.

Self awareness lacking.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Not sure why everyone is so sensitive to hot takes. If you trust Reinbacher you need to act like it and stop reacting to dumbass takes. Otherwise you're just being blowhards in the other direction.

But @Frank Drebin should know better. I've seen him fight off the hoards of loonies who fall into full tribalism mode everytime they talk about McDavid and the Oilers, when Frank is moonlighting as an Oilers fan. Why fall into the same mode whenever it's a habs pick he likes versus a pick others would've preferred? Michkov will be a fine player and hopefuly, Rainmaker too. No need to be so tribal about it.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
But @Frank Drebin should know better. I've seen him fight off the hoards of loonies who fall into full tribalism mode everytime they talk about McDavid and the Oilers, when Frank is moonlighting as an Oilers fan. Why fall into the same mode whenever it's a habs pick he likes versus a pick others would've preferred? Michkov will be a fine player and hopefuly, Rainmaker too. No need to be so tribal about it.
I'm curious about Reinbacher. I want to read about him and see how he plays and talk about him and his development. To me it's perfectly fine to think Reinbacher doesn't have upside, or that he's being mismanaged, or that he has incredible upside and is on the right track, etc. It's all fine to me so long as it is about Reinbacher.

The tribalism to which you refer is really worthless in this sense because practically no one from that draft cohort is relevant in the NHL yet. So the tribes are arguing and counter-arguing over nothing. There's nothing to say because nothing has been done. We're not even in the pre-season yet for heaven's sake. The whole dick-measuring contest thing when it comes to prospects after they've been drafting is really annoying... at least let them play out in the NHL before you claim your player is better than the other guy's player!

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I'm curious about Reinbacher. I want to read about him and see how he plays and talk about him and his development. To me it's perfectly fine to think Reinbacher doesn't have upside, or that he's being mismanaged, or that he has incredible upside and is on the right track, etc. It's all fine to me so long as it is about Reinbacher.

What if I said his upside is somewhere between Brisebois and Kevin Haller? You still coming at me like a gentleman?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The tribalism to which you refer is really worthless in this sense because practically no one from that draft cohort is relevant in the NHL yet. So the tribes are arguing and counter-arguing over nothing. There's nothing to say because nothing has been done. We're not even in the pre-season yet for heaven's sake. The whole dick-measuring contest thing when it comes to prospects after they've been drafting is really annoying... at least let them play out in the NHL before you claim your player is better than the other guy's player!

Is this after you took a sabbatical and inventoried how you reacted regarding Slafkovsky?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
What if I said his upside is somewhere between Brisebois and Kevin Haller? You still coming at me like a gentleman?
I mean sure, why not? I'm nothing if not gentlemanly. If you argue your point based on antecedent cases and it squares up properly, why not?

The only thing that really matters is how Reinbacher performs... and neither of us are a factor in that.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I mean sure, why not? I'm nothing if not a gentleman. If you argue your point based on antecedent cases and it squares up properly, why not?

The only thing that really matters is how Reinbacher performs... and neither of us are a factor in that.

Actually you are a gentleman, I agree, and stop using big words or I'll get @OldCraig71 to pull out his paperback thesaurus

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'd invite posters who don't see talent in Reinbacher to watch old Weber videos (like Nashville Weber). I am not talking about videos of him punishing players or bombing the puck. Just video of Weber's man-to-man coverage.

Visually, it wasn't anything mind-blowing. Weber's gap control and angling were flawless. You basically couldn't beat him one-on-one at the blue line, you had to dump in the puck. Weber used his size to secure and protect the loose puck and then made a good first pass either out of the zone, or to his d-partner.

This is what Reinbacher will bring. It's not sexy at all, but it's effective. I suspect some fans will never appreciate this, partly because it's such a subtle talent, partly because they won't get over not selecting Michkov.
Partly? or Mostly? lol

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Visually, it wasn't anything mind-blowing. Weber's gap control and angling were flawless. You basically couldn't beat him one-on-one at the blue line, you had to dump in the puck. Weber used his size to secure and protect the loose puck and then made a good first pass either out of the zone, or to his d-partner.

This is what Reinbacher will bring. It's not sexy at all, but it's effective. I suspect some fans will never appreciate this, partly because it's such a subtle talent, partly because they won't get over not selecting Michkov.
The one tweak Reinbacher can make would be with his angling so he won't get caught straight up anymore.
But those are most definitely some of his prime skills.

Who doesn't want a Dman who can Snuff out plays before they ever happen and turn the puck back the other way. :dunno:

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You’re gonna have to dumb this down for me
What is your issue besides being short?

Anyway i think you took my joke with @Habs about michkov being a manlet (which he is) personally

Its all meant in good fun

I hope it’s ok for me to cheer for mcdavid and the oilers as well as the habs

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Glad Laraque chimed in about his disappointment in Reinbacher. Gives me more confidence in David becoming good. Maybe he’d respect Reinbacher more if he saw him refuse to fight.
Sometimes I listen to that show and I'm astounded how slow Laraque is. Then I think he must be trolling just to get reactions but then he opens his mouth again and I'm back to thinking he's just plain dumb.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I don't know, I thought he looked like the second best dman on the ice after Hutson on aggregate over the two games. Engstrom had a better 1st game, but Reinbacher had a better 2nd one

If it wasn't for Barron's waiver eligibility, RB would make the opening roster IMO. It's not a bad thing at all as he'll get to play big minutes in Laval, but the Habs roster roster would be better with him in it

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think it's wishful thinking to say that Reinbacher's defensive game is elite already. He has all the tools to get there, but he still gets beat too often in 1v1. He is really good at stepping up for 50/50 pucks at the blue line and making a quick first pass when he does which eliminates a lot of threats, it's so important in the playoffs to be willing to take a hit to complete a pass.

Reactions: montreal

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
You’re gonna have to dumb this down for me
What is your issue besides being short?

Anyway i think you took my joke with @Habs about michkov being a manlet (which he is) personally

Its all meant in good fun

I hope it’s ok for me to cheer for mcdavid and the oilers as well as the habs

I actually was weirded out how Michkov celebrated his lame little scrimmage goal , he pulled a Yakupov. Like settle down bud, you are playing against scrubs.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it's wishful thinking to say that Reinbacher's defensive game is elite already. He has all the tools to get there, but he still gets beat too often in 1v1. He is really good at stepping up for 50/50 pucks at the blue line and making a quick first pass when he does which eliminates a lot of threats, it's so important in the playoffs to be willing to take a hit to complete a pass.

I've not seen him get beat 1v1, the major issue is him gapping up a bit too high and getting taught with someone getting behind him.. but if he is gapped up, I haven't seen anyone take him 1 on 1 and do anything but get a harmless shot away.

Reactions: HabsMD97

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Carey Price on his game was pretty boring. Occassionaly you get a wow moment but generally not, and that was all because this guy was positionally exceptional. He didnt need to make the highlight save because he was never out of position. And at the end of the game it was 2 or less goals, a 95% SP and a W. Weber was the D version of that defensively.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, Francis Booboo said that Reinbacher was just 'ok' at camp, despite Reinbacher saying he was told not to try anything fancy.

He did add that he's not worried and give him time

Reactions: montreal

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, Francis Booboo said that Reinbacher was just 'ok' at camp, despite Reinbacher saying he was told not to try anything fancy.

He did add that he's not worried and give him time
that just seems like BS. So Hutson has the green light to do spin-o-ramas and risky dekes at the blueline, but they told Reinbacher to settle down and not stand out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad