Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Depends on the player.

You think Patrick Lane would’ve fetched a low return in his prime? You act make generalizations when you’re talking about elite players. I get the argument that in general small wingers aren’t as valuable but what matters are results. If Michkov were to become an elite scorer then he has tremendous value whether he’s big or not.
In all fairness, Kane was an uncontested first overall pick. Michkov was skipped over by six teams. I don’t understand why we’re comparing them.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not really since David Jiricek is a RD and a full inch taller. By that definition he would've been the scarcity pick.

I don't really care about either pick but people who are dishonest annoy me a bit
A 6'3" 235lbs 18 year old skilled forward is pretty much unheard of. He's not dishonest, the type of profile Slaf has is very unique.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
We're not. I'm simply pointing out that small fowards can be just as valuable as big puck moving blueliners. It's all in who's being compared. One isn't automatically better than the others.
Fair enough. Kane is a HOF though. Definitely an exception to the rule. As a rule, if I understand correctly, big mobile puck moving defenders are the choice just about everytime

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fair enough. Kane is a HOF though. Definitely an exception to the rule. As a rule, if I understand correctly, big mobile puck moving defenders are the choice just about everytime
When you're talking about a smallish forward in the top 5 or top ten, it's because they usually have exceptional talent.

All I'm saying is that sometimes people are really quick to throw out the 'big blueliner is better than small winger' as though it's fact. You have to look at the players individually. If you lose sight of that, it's how you get yourself into trouble. That's how you wind up with 'big center' Kotkaniemi. (And I liked that pick btw... because I felt we needed a big center.) Then again it always comes with the caveat that I don't follow the minors the way others do. :laugh: My opinion on prospects isn't worth much. I just do my own reading and try to watch some clips. I'm not going to argue hard for a prospect over another.

I have no idea if Mich will be better than RB. But he may be. I just hope that RB fills the bill we're looking for him to fill. If he does, then it doesn't matter as much.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Depends on the player.

You think Patrick Lane would’ve fetched a low return in his prime? You act make generalizations when you’re talking about elite players. I get the argument that in general small wingers aren’t as valuable but what matters are results. If Michkov were to become an elite scorer then he has tremendous value whether he’s big or not.

Ima assume you meant Patrick Kane and not Patrik Laine. Kane was a slam dunk 1st OA. In terms of draft pedigree, he was closer to Bedard (who's also small) than Michkov. He is in the conversation for the best American player in the history of the league. If that's what the pro scouting saw in Michkov, he would have went 2nd OA, Russian or not. I find it disingenuous to say I generalize and point to the player with the most regular season points in 2010s decade, the most playoffs points between 2010 and 2016, an Art Ross, a Conn Smythe and three cups. Kane is an outlier. Lidstrom, Pronger and Niedermayer would also have fetched great returns in their prime, I wouldn't compare Reinbacher to any of these guys in terms of value though

When one compares RB to solid to great dmen Dobson or Pietrangelo, man do the brakes need to be pulled. When Michkov gets compared to perhaps the best American winger of all time in Kane or just one of the best winger of all time in Kucherov, now that's a valid argument. Maybe Michkov kills it in the NHL, good chance he will. Maybe he's more of a Tolvanen (who had similar stats in the KHL in his D+1)

Reactions: ReHabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ima assume you meant Patrick Kane and not Patrik Laine. Kane was a slam dunk 1st OA. In terms of draft pedigree, he was closer to Bedard (who's also small) than Michkov. He is in the conversation for the best American player in the history of the league. If that's what the pro scouting saw in Michkov, he would have went 2nd OA, Russian or not. I find it disingenuous to say I generalize and point to the player with the most regular season points in 2010s decade, the most playoffs points between 2010 and 2016, an Art Ross, a Conn Smythe and three cups. Kane is an outlier. Lidstrom, Pronger and Niedermayer would also have fetched great returns in their prime, I wouldn't compare Reinbacher to any of these guys in terms of value though

When one compares RB to solid to great dmen Dobson or Pietrangelo, man do the brakes need to be pulled. When Michkov gets compared to perhaps the best American winger of all time in Kane or just one of the best winger of all time in Kucherov, now that's a valid argument. Maybe Michkov kills it in the NHL, good chance he will. Maybe he's more of a Tolvanen (who had similar stats in the KHL in his D+1)
Nobody is comparing anyone to anybody...

The point is that you have to look at individual players and forget about types.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
When you're talking about a smallish forward in the top 5 or top ten, it's because they usually have exceptional talent.

All I'm saying is that sometimes people are really quick to throw out the 'big blueliner is better than small winger' as though it's fact. You have to look at the players individually. If you lose sight of that, it's how you get yourself into trouble. That's how you wind up with 'big center' Kotkaniemi. (And I liked that pick btw... because I felt we needed a big center.) Then again it always comes with the caveat that I don't follow the minors the way others do. :laugh: My opinion on prospects isn't worth much. I just do my own reading and try to watch some clips. I'm not going to argue hard for a prospect over another.

I have no idea if Mich will be better than RB. But he may be. I just hope that RB fills the bill we're looking for him to fill. If he does, then it doesn't matter as much.
This is well said LG. I do agree that the obsession with size is still present like it’s the 90s haha. Having watched RB I was really impressed at the WJC. Against the best on a weak team he stood out. I feel he’ll have way more tools than some other big D.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Right, to illustrate how silly it is to say blueliners are more valuable. They aren’t.

You measure players based on their talent, not their position. Is Jaromir Jagr any less valuable because he’s a winger? Hell no.

Irrelevant to the discussion and they had Messier.

Yes you do measure them based on talent. That said, no matter how talented a winger is, they will never impact the game like a goaltender. Never. Here's a more analytical route. The player who spends the most time on the ice probably affects the game more. Goalies play 60 min. A no.1 shutdown D plays 25-30 min and a star forward plays 20 min. And again I go back to my original point that the game of hockey in the playoffs is all about mitigating mistakes. That objective is felt most by defencemen and obviously goalies. Obviously forwards capitalize on mistakes but mistakes are the centre of it all. The playoff hockey is about being more about being reactive than proactive when it comes to offence

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
The picks are fine to me I don't really care, I like all the players. It's the people hellbent on defending every single thing HuGo does with lies and asinine arguments like the one above that annoy me.
but attacking hugo is fine, although we have no clue who will become a better player and whether reinbacher at #5 was mistake or not?

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It's not the argument hes making. He's making the argument of scarcity.

Scarcity is just one part of the argument. Not the whole argument.

It jus't can't be ignored when we are talking about top pair RHD, big sized C or power forward.

I just illustrated the facts, not an opinion, a demonstrable fact, that team will go for this type of player sometimes at immense opportunity cost. (3 RHD in 2024 before any LD, Lev over Demidov, RB over Michkov, Nemec over Cooley and Wright and etc. Etc.)

The same exact player with the only difference of one being LHD versus the other being RHD. Well the RHD will command a bigger premium because of scarcity, economics 101, what is tough to understand or accept here? What is dishonest?

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Based on their draft position?

If you recall, Komisarek was selected 7th overall, a massive 2 spots below RB

What does draft position have to do with player similarities.

Both Cole Caufield and Cody Ceci were drafted 15th overall and are polar opposites of each other both pre and post draft...Reinbacher is absolutely more of a Markov than he is Komisarek. He is a cerebral PMD who has a great defensive stick. Markov is also a poor comparison but it is still better than a low IQ, cement handed banger like Komisarek.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Reinbacher is a smooth skating, two way RD with solid size. Those guys will play in the NHL every time assuming their head is on straight and they stay healthy.

How good he’ll be is the question. You can be a 1D who fits that description, or a bottom pair who fits that description, what separates them is how good those two way abilities are. If he’s putting up 50+ points while being a shutdown D he’s a 1D all day. If he’s putting up 20ish points while being solid defensively he’s probably more of a 4 or 5 on a contender.

Think we will gain a lot of information this year. If he has a disappointing season, it might be time to mentally prepare ourselves for him being more of a solid player than star. But on the other hand he could well break out in the AHL and emerge as a top prospect or even better make the big club and have himself an impressive rookie season at 19

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
but attacking hugo is fine, although we have no clue who will become a better player and whether reimbacher at #5 was mistake or not?
It's okay to have doubt about a decision and express legit concerns while remaining honest. The same can be done in defense, what I can't tolerate is lies and jumping through hoops to justify either .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad