Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Reinbacher is a smooth skating, two way RD with solid size. Those guys will play in the NHL every time assuming their head is on straight and they stay healthy.

How good he’ll be is the question. You can be a 1D who fits that description, or a bottom pair who fits that description, what separates them is how good those two way abilities are. If he’s putting up 50+ points while being a shutdown D he’s a 1D all day. If he’s putting up 20ish points while being solid defensively he’s probably more of a 4 or 5 on a contender.

Think we will gain a lot of information this year. If he has a disappointing season, it might be time to mentally prepare ourselves for him being more of a solid player than star. But on the other hand he could well break out in the AHL and emerge as a top prospect or even better make the big club and have himself an impressive rookie season at 19
A very fair assessment
Secretly, I want Hutson-Reinbacher as our 1st pair to start the AHL season

Think they dominate too

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
A very fair assessment

Think they dominate too

I understand the enticement but i think Hutson displayed major NHL qualities in his two games and its just the summum of his two years since being drafted. He may already be one of our 4 best dman. It remains to be seen where Reinbacher is at.

This board is strong on "not rushing anyone" but playing an NHL player in the AHL, especially one with Hutson resume, is incredibly bad asset management and can be a relationship-killer with one of our potential superstar. Its a double edged sword and not as sexy of a path as it is portrayed here, in my humble opinion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A very fair assessment

Think they dominate too

I was thinking about that Hutson/Reinbacher pairing. Seems to fit a lot and many of us like it. However, I was considering what we would do if that pairing didn't work? For now, it fits if it's AHL. Later on? We will see. We could put Guhle and Reinbacher on the same pairing and that would be our shutdown pairing.

A few different combos we can tinker with in the next few years.

Guhle / Reinbacher:
Shutdown guys who can play well at both ends but against the top lines from other teams. Lots of in zone starts (5/5).

Xhekaj / Mailloux: I like the potential of this pairing. Too early to know yet but they did play very well together in the AHL last year.

Hutson / Mailloux: Great mobility and skill/skating, and a pairing you want to be starting 60% or more on the offensive end.

Hutson / Engstrom: If Hutson struggles in the sheltered area (own zone) and we want to limit his 5/5 time, maybe we try this as a bottom pairing. Hutson gets his extra time on the PP and maybe you play him both PP units. I believe Engstrom can play opposite side?

Hutson / Xhekaj: Xhekaj has played RD at times. Good physical protection for Hutson if Xhekaj matures and becomes a trusted guy in his own zone.

I like Reinbacher with either Hutson but if not, Guhle is a good fit if we want a shutdown pairing.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I was thinking about that Hutson/Reinbacher pairing. Seems to fit a lot and many of us like it. However, I was considering what we would do if that pairing didn't work? For now, it fits if it's AHL. Later on? We will see. We could put Guhle and Reinbacher on the same pairing and that would be our shutdown pairing.

A few different combos we can tinker with in the next few years.

Guhle / Reinbacher: Shutdown guys who can play well at both ends but against the top lines from other teams. Lots of in zone starts (5/5).

Xhekaj / Mailloux:
I like the potential of this pairing. Too early to know yet but they did play very well together in the AHL last year.

Hutson / Mailloux: Great mobility and skill/skating, and a pairing you want to be starting 60% or more on the offensive end.

Hutson / Engstrom: If Hutson struggles in the sheltered area (own zone) and we want to limit his 5/5 time, maybe we try this as a bottom pairing. Hutson gets his extra time on the PP and maybe you play him both PP units. I believe Engstrom can play opposite side?

Hutson / Xhekaj: Xhekaj has played RD at times. Good physical protection for Hutson if Xhekaj matures and becomes a trusted guy in his own zone.

I like Reinbacher with either Hutson but if not, Guhle is a good fit if we want a shutdown pairing.
Guhle and RB together would be a formidable and VERY mobile D Pairing. As teams in the Atlantic get older( TB/FLA/BOS) I can see them being a nightmare to play against. Absolutely suffocating

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Guhle and RB together would be a formidable and VERY mobile D Pairing. As teams in the Atlantic get older( TB/FLA/BOS) I can see them being a nightmare to play against. Absolutely suffocating

It's what I see as well. Lots of us looking at the Hutson/Reinbacher pairing but Guhle/Reinbacher is something that can shut you down and move the puck.

Hutson might have to be bottom pairing but play both PP units. We will see. Xhekaj appears to fit well with Mailloux but he could fit well with Hutson too. He has played some RD.

When creating our pairings in the future, we have to ensure we are not open to holes in the match-up game. Guhle/Reinbacher would be able to go up against any top line.

Guhle / Reinbacher
Engstrom / Mailloux
Hutson / Xhekaj

If Engstrom doesn't develop well, we might have to find another D in the next draft or two. Adding Demidov and Hage really did balance out our forward group IMO. You could move Xhekaj to be with Mailloux and find a RD for Hutson.

Not sure where Barron is in the next few years. I'm not as low on him as I am with Harris. Barron still has potential but he has to start to show signs of maturity/trust in his own end. It's the only thing lacking in his game IMO.

We are going to find out a lot more with our D group after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
It's what I see as well. Lots of us looking at the Hutson/Reinbacher pairing but Guhle/Reinbacher is something that can shut you down and move the puck.

Hutson might have to be bottom pairing but play both PP units. We will see. Xhekaj appears to fit well with Mailloux but he could fit well with Hutson too. He has played some RD.

When creating our pairings in the future, we have to ensure we are not open to holes in the match-up game. Guhle/Reinbacher would be able to go up against any top line.

Guhle / Reinbacher
Engstrom / Mailloux
Hutson / Xhekaj
That D corps has so much balance and offensive upside. The future looks bright for us there. Engstrom is a total sleeper and I can’t wait for more Habs fans to come around and see why RB was drafted 5th overall. I’m really high on him ever since he got my attention at the WJC two years ago on a shit Austria team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That D corps has so much balance and offensive upside. The future looks bright for us there. Engstrom is a total sleeper and I can’t wait for more Habs fans to come around and see why RB was drafted 5th overall. I’m really high on him ever since he got my attention at the WJC two years ago on a shit Austria team.

No doubt... lots to like with your youth but we need the development to go well. And then you consider that we own all of our picks and more! Still room to add more talent.

What I will say is depth will not be an issue for us. We won't have to sign over the hill UFA's to fill holes which hurts the cap strategy.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
In more than 95% of the draft in the history of the NHL, there was at least one defenseman picked top 5. Often picked before 5, and often two or more in the top 5.

So lets make it clear again if it wasnt obvious already.

Reinbacher at 5 is not a reach.

Even if in our own opinion he is nothing more than a 2nd pairing defensive dman and Michkov is already a perennial 100 points player.

By every objective metrics, Reinbacher was picked at his spot. I would even argue that a top RD like him is seldom available at 5 overall. (2021 no top RD available, 2022 Nemec 2nd OV, 2024 Levshunov 2nd OV, 2018-2019-2020 no top RD available in the top 5.)

***Notice how scarce the competent, top 4 RHD are relative to the LHD?****

It could be a blunder, if Michkov is a top 10 player in the NHL. There is an inherent risk with skipping a prospect like Michkov. But the fact remains that Reinbacher was picked at his spot at the draft.
2018 - Bouchard and Dobson were absolutely available in the top 5 but were not picked
2019 - Seider was available top 5, not picked

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
No doubt... lots to like with your youth but we need the development to go well. And then you consider that we own all of our picks and more! Still room to add more talent.

What I will say is depth will not be an issue for us. We won't have to sign over the hill UFA's to fill holes which hurts the cap strategy.
Agreed! One thing that HUGO has shown us, is they have a plan( unlike MB who loves saying he had one and didn’t). They’re patient, deliberate and shrewd. Just look at the draft- they trust themselves and don’t give in to pressure. Goalie situation? We can wait. Contract negotiations? Probably KH greatest strength.

As for development I agree as well. Since HUGo have arrived they’ve built up the development dept a lot, added Adm Nicholas a skills coach and also created an analytics department which was wayyyyyy overdue. I feel like they brought us into the 21st century haha

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed! One thing that HUGO has shown us, is they have a plan( unlike MB who loves saying he had one and didn’t). They’re patient, deliberate and shrewd. Just look at the draft- they trust themselves and don’t give in to pressure. Goalie situation? We can wait. Contract negotiations? Probably KH greatest strength.

As for development I agree as well. Since HUGo have arrived they’ve built up the development dept a lot, added Adm Nicholas a skills coach and also created an analytics department which was wayyyyyy overdue. I feel like they brought us into the 21st century haha

It's going to be interesting to look back in 3+ years to see how our hype/excitement looks at that point in time (What happens vs what we think/project today). How far off were we or were we spot on? There is good reason to be excited. This is not 2012 or 2017 type hype on a shallow pool.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
2018 - Bouchard and Dobson were absolutely available in the top 5 but were not picked
2019 - Seider was available top 5, not picked
In all fairness none of them were ranked close to 5. I think Seder was ranked close 15, Dobson didn’t have nearly as rounded a game as RB and neither did Bouchard. Add to the fact that RB had the benefit of having played pro already

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
In all fairness none of them were ranked close to 5. I think Seder was ranked close 15, Dobson didn’t have nearly as rounded a game as RB and neither did Bouchard. Add to the fact that RB had the benefit of having played pro already
By the end of the year, Dobson had a much more rounded game than Reinbacher IMO. He wasn't playing pro but he was excellent to close out the year and had really come into his own offensively.

At draft time I take him over Reinbacher for sure.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
By the end of the year, Dobson had a much more rounded game than Reinbacher IMO. He wasn't playing pro but he was excellent to close out the year and had really come into his own offensively.

At draft time I take him over Reinbacher for sure.
For myself, as soon as I have to compare juniors vs pros in terms of leagues, I lean pro. They’re literally a full year or two ahead in development. And you definitely see what those prospects are made of. In RB case, he played very well in the NL but was elite in the WJC when playing against his peers

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

In Bob McKenzie’s final rankings Dobson was 6th and Bouchard 7th (just behind Kotkaniemi who was 5th). Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN had Dobson in their top five.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
In Bob McKenzie’s final rankings Dobson was 6th and Bouchard 7th (just behind Kotkaniemi who was 5th). Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN had Dobson in their top five.
Then how the hell did he drop nearly ten spots? Kotkaniemi was widely seen as a mid teen pick and a crazy reach. Although he played well at the U18s. He visibly was a poor skater. I grew Bobs list is the blueprint, but when 6/10 scouts don’t have Dobson in their top five, how did he have him ranked 6th?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He will. Against his peers he stands out. He’s already had successful seasons playing top minutes in the pros as a teen. I feel he is seriously underrated by even the MTL fanbase
I wasn’t a huge fan of his D+1 overseas but people don’t seem to realize that he’s pretty rare in being a top D at that age in a men’s league.

People don’t realize he has elite pedigree and could very well be an extremely high end defender for us. It’s no lock but it’s closer to a probability than a possibility than most posters think. Many can’t see it because he’s not flashy. We got Hutson and Mailloux for that. Then again that 1st Pro NA goal of his should have shown people that he has more skill than they thought as well

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
People don’t realize he has elite pedigree and could very well be an extremely high end defender for us. It’s no lock but it’s closer to a probability than a possibility than most posters think.

Couldn't he also end up as an Alzner type, or worse?

It's anecdotal, but it feels like the qualities that Reinbacher gets praise for is eerily similar to guys like Alzner (5th overall), Juolevi (5th overall), Broberg (8th overall) etc.

I've thought before that the guys who get labelled "safe" are actually often more risky than the players with some elite attribute.

I'm not trying to hate on Reinbacher, just explaining why I, and likely many others still have our doubts.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

It's anecdotal, but it feels like the qualities that Reinbacher gets praise for is eerily similar to guys like Alzner (5th overall), Juolevi (5th overall), Broberg (8th overall) etc.

I've thought before that the guys who get labelled "safe" are actually often more risky than the players with some elite attribute.

I'm not trying to hate on Reinbacher, just explaining why I, and likely many others still have our doubts.
Alzner was a bad skater that couldn’t move the puck. Basically the opposite of what Reinbacher is.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

You should watch all of these players and you'll understand why this was an unnecessary post. These players are all nothing alike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad